PDA

View Full Version : turbo rebuild

adam280
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 21:56
I rebuilt my turbo tonight couldnt believe how easy it was, just hope ive done it properly wont know till i fit it at the weekend lol

claymore
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 21:58
don't you need to get it balanced?

merc85
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 22:08
don't you need to get it balanced?

Yes you do, But wen i done mine i marked the impeller and the paited the top of the shaft an the retaining nut.

Then made sure it all lined up upon re asemble. Not ideal of course but touch wood, seems ok at the moment.

T4Rick
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 22:26
Ive rebuilt a few turbos and its not hard,you just need to mark everything up and put it back the way you found it

BlackBeast
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 22:44
Yes you do,

Actually, no you don't.

adam280
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 23:04
thats what i did. im gonna test it at work 2moro with an air line, if it is out of balance im sure ill notice
Yes you do, But wen i done mine i marked the impeller and the paited the top of the shaft an the retaining nut.

Then made sure it all lined up upon re asemble. Not ideal of course but touch wood, seems ok at the moment.

glock19
Friday 3rd February 2012, 01:51
Actually, no you don't.

BB is right, you don't need to. The worst thing that'll happen is some whinning noise but there's a quick fix. With the turbo still in the car, open the intake tract and downpipe, loosen the compressor blade and twist it 180 Deg and retighten. 90% of the whinning could dissapear unless there's leakage or cracks somewhere - non balacing related.

jayeastanglia
Friday 3rd February 2012, 08:19
no need to balance either..done loads on merc sprinters which are high boost and so far only 1 has failed and that was the seal which failed and could of been a manuafactor fault or just error of working in a buzy workshop and having to rush stuff............oh and if you are going to blow compressed air in the turbo make sure its got plenty of oil thats being pressure fed into it otherwise it will just ruin its bearings as turbos run on a film of pressure fed oil..so you are better off putting it in the car let the engine spin over till oil light has gone off (disconnect the coil lead is easiest way) reconnect up and let it idle for a few mins at the very least before revving it up and take it easy for a few miles..