PDA

View Full Version : All You Ex-Plodders Out Ther..........

MRTREE
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 19:49
I'm Thinking Of Getting An S70 T5 Ex-Plod So I Was Wondering Whats The Pros And Cons Of Having An Ex-Plod So I Can Make An Informed Decision All Help Will Be Appreciated!

T5frankie
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 19:50
base models

MRTREE
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 19:55
any pros?

M-R-P
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 22:43
According to my service sheet, she had new oil every 5k, disks and pads every 20k, clutch at 50k. Loads of tyres filters etc. BUT, never did shocks, wishbones, tranny flush. Ask for the service sheet, check how well the holes in the roof have been repaired properly, look in wheelarhes, front and rear for crash repairs, check pcv and waste gate.
Mine cost a fair bit to get her up to scratch but well worth it. :)

dalhousie2008
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 23:26
Mines not base and ex plod, well its s weird one must have been under cover car or had some sort of kick arse mobile phone system fitted.

Cubes
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 23:50
Occasionally 'plod' will get an ex demo, or a car the promoters can't shift after it's demo life has finished, hence the enhanced spec. Generally though, they are reduced spec (eg. cloth seats, manual seats, no cruise, you get the idea)

Personally, it's very hit and miss. Some of them go through their police career without a scratch. Others, well, don't (if you get my drift!). Be prepared to spend a LOT on it but keep in the back of you mind that you might not have to spend a penny more than basic repair/routine like the rest of us.

Not much help, but them's the facts.

dalhousie2008
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 23:56
Maybe that's where mine came from, I cant think of anything it's missing, even down to rear electric windows. Plus its low miles a 94 with 72k not White either it's metallic burgundy. I'm only guessing it's ex plod by signs of major installations I.e aerial and major wiring. I suppose it could have been an under cover car

M-R-P
Friday 3rd February 2012, 00:16
Mine came with cruise, air con dual zone, dog guard (xc70), no cupholder in dash, electric windows all round, basic seats, no stereo,no load cover, no passenger sun visor,loads of extra wiring, strobe brackets behind grille, 5th alloy - 17" amelthea, a few holes in the dash and roof. It was a motorway traffic car and clearly had been worked hard.

MRTREE
Friday 3rd February 2012, 08:31
According to my service sheet, she had new oil every 5k, disks and pads every 20k, clutch at 50k. Loads of tyres filters etc. BUT, never did shocks, wishbones, tranny flush. Ask for the service sheet, check how well the holes in the roof have been repaired properly, look in wheelarhes, front and rear for crash repairs, check pcv and waste gate.
Mine cost a fair bit to get her up to scratch but well worth it. :)

It Has No Exterior Holes Ect As Was Unmarked But Is A Bit Basic

http://www.swapz.co.uk/swapz/2491935/volvo_s70_t5_turbo_260bhp_mint_car_well_worth_a_lo ok_very_fast/

Thats The Badger Let Me Know What You Think The Sellers A Bit Clueless But Took It In Part Ex So Didnt Really Know What He Was Getting So Ill Let Him Off With Info Ect Its Done 121k Which I Dont Thinks Too Bad Really

Thanks For All Your Suggestions And Please Let Me Know What You Think

MRTREE
Friday 3rd February 2012, 08:33
Oh And Cubes Its From Your Neck Of The Woods YOu May Have Seen It

cherry1809
Friday 3rd February 2012, 09:00
My old mauve one was ex plod, Was GLE spec iirc.
260k+ and not really any problems apart from a fuel pump relay messing about.

volvokid
Friday 3rd February 2012, 09:08
This is my thinking to them, its an S70 so its been retired from the force for a while..... so hopefully the owner has sorted out its niggles.
Look at martins P2 ex plod i assume he was the first owner after the plod and he has worked hard at getting it to the stage its at, so the next owner wont have all the plod related issue's to fix.

The Flying Moose
Friday 3rd February 2012, 09:11
It Has No Exterior Holes Ect As Was Unmarked But Is A Bit Basic

http://www.swapz.co.uk/swapz/2491935/volvo_s70_t5_turbo_260bhp_mint_car_well_worth_a_lo ok_very_fast/

Thats The Badger Let Me Know What You Think The Sellers A Bit Clueless But Took It In Part Ex So Didnt Really Know What He Was Getting So Ill Let Him Off With Info Ect Its Done 121k Which I Dont Thinks Too Bad Really

Thanks For All Your Suggestions And Please Let Me Know What You Think

That was definately a marked car mate:

http://img.swapz.co.uk/swapz/2012-02/big/4f2ad72f25887_1.jpg?rand=585964244

http://police-car-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/1626.jpg

Infact its from the same Police Force mine came from! (look at the reg)

http://i56.tinypic.com/21alpts.jpg

MRTREE
Friday 3rd February 2012, 09:23
http://i56.tinypic.com/21alpts.jpg[/QUOTE]

Wow How Did You Find This?

Cubes
Friday 3rd February 2012, 09:57
Oh And Cubes Its From Your Neck Of The Woods YOu May Have Seen It

I noticed when I was looking at your pics mate. You still got the car? I'll keep an eye out for ya! :)

Cubes
Friday 3rd February 2012, 10:02

What force is that? Looks like Humberside.

MRTREE
Friday 3rd February 2012, 10:21
I noticed when I was looking at your pics mate. You still got the car? I'll keep an eye out for ya! :)

I Havnt Got It Yet Mate Im Thinking About It Thats Why I was Asking You Guys Advice So It Still Resides In Middlesbro But If I But It Will Be Cruising Around Sunny West Yorkshire ;)

The Flying Moose
Friday 3rd February 2012, 11:20
http://i56.tinypic.com/21alpts.jpg

Wow How Did You Find This?[/QUOTE]

I found the picture of yours when I was looking around for history on my ex plod S70 around six months ago. Mine is (R822JFT) as pictured above.

On an advice front I would be careful. Mine was an ex armed response vehicle and as such has only 81k miles to date. I suspect however after looking over the car its because it spent most of its days in a body shop being repaired, no panel is the same colour and the subframe has huge dents in it when the car has clearly been over humps too quickly.

Mine is in a poor state of repair hence deciding to remove the engine for spare and scrap the car.

£1000 however is top dollar for an ex plod S70.

What force is that? Looks like Humberside.

Northumbria Constabulary ;)

MRTREE
Friday 3rd February 2012, 11:53
Wow How Did You Find This?

I found the picture of yours when I was looking around for history on my ex plod S70 around six months ago. Mine is (R822JFT) as pictured above.

On an advice front I would be careful. Mine was an ex armed response vehicle and as such has only 81k miles to date. I suspect however after looking over the car its because it spent most of its days in a body shop being repaired, no panel is the same colour and the subframe has huge dents in it when the car has clearly been over humps too quickly.

Mine is in a poor state of repair hence deciding to remove the engine for spare and scrap the car.

£1000 however is top dollar for an ex plod S70.

Northumbria Constabulary ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Alot For The Advice Ill Be Going Over It With A Fine Tooth Comb

shepbomb
Friday 3rd February 2012, 14:02
ya can always buy this bag of spanners back off me 1500 it stands me so far :-( and still needs work doing

MRTREE
Friday 3rd February 2012, 15:17
ya can always buy this bag of spanners back off me 1500 it stands me so far :-( and still needs work doing

I Kno It Has Cost You Money But You Took The Car Knowing That It Needed Work I Was As Honest As I Could Be With You And Regretted Letting It Go When You Decided To Do A Deal You Are Far Mar Mechanically Minded Than I Am So I Would Have Thought You Knew What Needed Doin I Told You Everything I Knew And You Accepted That.

Also You Told Me You Had The Breaks Dont On The S70 Which Clearly You Hadnt As I Have Just Had To Have Them Replaced Along With The Radiator Which Went On Me Last Week Which I Have Just Replaced (Also Something You Said You Had Done) And Not Long Ago The Lambda Light Came On So Have Had To Replace The Sensor But I Havnt Said Anything About It At Any Chance I Got!

Understandably I Havnt Spent As Much As You Have But Has Still Cost Me A Fair Bit And All On Parts You Had Told Me You Had Replaced Where as The Money You Have Spent Wasnt Things I Had Told You I Had Replaced.

Appreciated It Cost You More Than You Thought And I Do Apologise For This But I Didnt Realise Myself The Work It Needed Doing And I Didnt Force The Car Upon You You Yourself Made An Informed Decision.

Not Trying To Cause Any Conflict As Im A Decent Person And So Are You I Just Wanted To Clear The Air And Hopefully You Would Stop Making Comments Making Me Out To Be A Bad Person I was As Honest As I Could And Yet Again I Apologise For What Ever Stress This has Caused You.

On Another Note Congratulations On Your Newborn Baby Girl And I Hope You Are Very Happy.

Thanks

zoidberg
Friday 3rd February 2012, 15:39
I Havnt Got It Yet Mate Im Thinking About It Thats Why I was Asking You Guys Advice So It Still Resides In Middlesbro But If I But It Will Be Cruising Around Sunny West Yorkshire ;)

Might see you riding around then as I'm in Batley. Currently driving a V70 AWD in dark grey 'R' reg and shortley an ex-plod 850 T5, naturally in white ,LoL.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 3rd February 2012, 15:50
Cheap but for a reason. Base spec. Various arguements have been had over hard life vs regular maintenance.

For 1st foray into T5 ownership I'd avoid.

MRTREE
Friday 3rd February 2012, 15:52
Cheap but for a reason. Base spec. Various arguements have been had over hard life vs regular maintenance.

For 1st foray into T5 ownership I'd avoid.

I Will Be My 3rd T5 Just Havnt Had An Ex-Plod 1 And I always Thought They Would Be Better For Some Reason Thanks For Your Advice I May Not Endevour.

jbconno
Friday 3rd February 2012, 16:08
Its pot luck with ex plod cars. My first P1 V70 was a lemon but my second P2 was in seriously good nick having covered 78K when I got it. It was only 18mths old too which helped. I have been told to go for cars from the smaller, more rural forces as they are less likely to have been involved in major bumps etc.

My second one was from The Northern Constabulary in Inverness. I spoke to the service manager for the force who told me they usually get rid of the cars after about 2 years or 80k (which ever comes first). This was a few years ago now so the policy may have changed with the economic climate.

shepbomb
Friday 3rd February 2012, 16:35
Rad was still under warranty???? And brakes were done for MOT, anyway if ya know anybody after a cheap s70 its going on eBay in next couple of days as im off to pick a s60 t5 up hopefully