PDA

View Full Version : Volvo awd gearbox

T4Rick
Wednesday 1st February 2012, 21:05
Can you make the awd gearbox totaly awd or does the awd system only kick in and a certain point?

AndysR
Wednesday 1st February 2012, 21:10
I wouldn't have thought so, but as most people shy away from the 4wd system it's rare to see someone doing much with them tbh.. There was a guy with a grey 850R saloon who purchased the car as a non runner and fitted 4WD running gear not sure if it was a remove from one and bolt to the other job with it running as it would normally or whether he modified the system to run permanently..

T4Rick
Wednesday 1st February 2012, 21:18
I wouldn't have thought so, but as most people shy away from the 4wd system it's rare to see someone doing much with them tbh.. There was a guy with a grey 850R saloon who purchased the car as a non runner and fitted 4WD running gear not sure if it was a remove from one and bolt to the other job with it running as it would normally or whether he modified the system to run permanently..

It would be nice if it was permanent awd lol just picture the drifting fun you could have

AndysR
Wednesday 1st February 2012, 21:20
It would be nice if it was permanent awd lol just picture the drifting fun you could have

Yeah wouldn't be so much fun suffering at the fuel pumps though.. lol

T4Rick
Wednesday 1st February 2012, 21:28
Yeah wouldn't be so much fun suffering at the fuel pumps though.. lol

Carnt have both Andy lol i love a good drift lol

p fandango
Wednesday 1st February 2012, 21:54
they have a viscous coupling just infront of the rear axle which disconnects drive when all the wheels are going the same speed. I believe this bolts in so could be replaced with a direct shaft to give drive all the time. What the fragile angle gear will think i don't know

http://www.awdwiki.com/images/volvo-850-awd_x.jpg

AndysR
Wednesday 1st February 2012, 22:40
Carnt have both Andy lol i love a good drift lol

Buy a doggy old Sierra then, much cheaper ;)

p fandango
Wednesday 1st February 2012, 22:50
Buy a doggy old Sierra then, much cheaper ;)
must of seen 4 Sierra Saph's today, one badged "Sierra Saphire 2000e" which i've never seen before, didn't look anything special but never noticed the big badge before

AndysR
Wednesday 1st February 2012, 22:56
must of seen 4 Sierra Saph's today, one badged "Sierra Saphire 2000e" which i've never seen before, didn't look anything special but never noticed the big badge before

Very rare cars, if it was genuine it would have been a 2.0 pinto with a twin cam 8 valve chain driven engine. Grey leather interior, grey leather 3 spoke steering wheel and usually two tone like this, but not always specifically that colour combination.. Nice car's back in the day although the engine never really took off due to head gasket and cam chain failures.

http://passionford.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=501

p fandango
Wednesday 1st February 2012, 23:05
Very rare cars, if it was genuine it would have been a 2.0 pinto with a twin cam 8 valve chain driven engine. Grey leather interior, grey leather 3 spoke steering wheel and usually two tone like this, but not always specifically that colour combination.. Nice car's back in the day although the engine never really took off due to head gasket and cam chain failures.

yep exactly the same as that, same colours. Didn't think it was anything special because of the boring wheels, was immaculate as well

merc85
Wednesday 1st February 2012, 23:07

Blimey Blast from the past, The Orion 1600e was also very nice.. to look at.

AndysR
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 20:20
yep exactly the same as that, same colours. Didn't think it was anything special because of the boring wheels, was immaculate as well

Tbh I do like the older Ford's quite alot having had a history with one of them :)

p fandango
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 21:11
Tbh I do like the older Ford's quite alot having had a history with one of them :)
i'd of liked to have driven my grandads old Mk2 Lotus Cortina, you can keep the others lol

AndysR
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 21:11
i'd of liked to have driven my grandads old Mk2 Lotus Cortina, you can keep the others lol

You'd probably have liked to have owned it now a days so you could sell it on too!

p fandango
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 21:17
You'd probably have liked to have owned it now a days so you could sell it on too!
we nearly did, it came up for sale on ebay a few years ago. We went to look at it with view to giving it him back, Only got 50miles more on the clock than when he sold it, but had been sat & got quite a lot of rust. Would of took alot of work to get it back to his condition, we didn't even tell him we'd found it because he'd of been gutted seeing it as it was

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg854/scaled.php?server=854&filename=cortina5.jpg&res=medium

jayeastanglia
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 21:37
2.0 pinto is single cam..twink is the twin cam which will be in later 2000e..2000e caomes with leather seats like in the scorpio..used to banger race the old sierras as they stood up to so much damage pretty well but seems like all the oval racers want them old rwd beaties now as a few round here will pay £200 for a rolling sheel(last old sierra I stuffed on ebay which had been standing for years made £245)
I used to have a orion 1600e which i managed to fit a zetec engine in when that was all the rage..Will even admit to having a maestro van that was a 1.3 that i fitted a 2.0montego turbo engine and all the dash/wiring/seats and red seat belts in it..only problem i never uprated the brakes as it still had the 1.3van brakes in it,remembered i should of done them when it went front first into a ditch..

jayeastanglia
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 21:38
back on thread can you not get the angle drive where ever that is (I assume it must be in the gearbox) can you not get a uprated gear or get 1 made.. or is it not that simple

T4Rick
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 21:48
back on thread can you not get the angle drive where ever that is (I assume it must be in the gearbox) can you not get a uprated gear or get 1 made.. or is it not that simple

It would be interesting to no Jay lol

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 2nd February 2012, 21:57
I guess you could, but the problem is there isn't much room for anything any bigger.

The output from the gearbox is also a weak link in the AWD train, the output shaft is around the outside of the normal driveshaft output, and connects to the angle gear via a sleeve. The splines on the sleeve usually wear out and can cause damage to the other splines on the angle gear and gearbox output shaft (but the main wear usually is to the sleeve).