PDA

View Full Version : Magazine feature help

Chris Chilton
Monday 30th January 2012, 19:52
Hi,

I'm a journalist trying to pull together a few cars for a feature in Classic Cars magazine. The theme is that they were all the first, or among the first, of their type to do 150mph and are now affordable, viable classics. We've got some obvious stuff like an Esprit Turbo and BMW M635csi, but thought it'd be great to get an 850 T5 estate in there as they're great value and don't get much coverage in the mainstream mags.

So my question is: would any owner of a tidy, preferably standard-ish car be up for coming along to a shoot a couple of weeks from now (hopefully week beginning Feb 13th)? I'm sorry can't be more exact yet - the actual date and location depends on when I can corral all my cars and where they come from, but the location is probably within a sensible distance of BMW's Bracknell HQ in Berkshire.

Many thanks

Chris

Chris Chilton
chris@carchris.co.uk
07813 008 748

Jamest5r
Monday 30th January 2012, 19:53
You can have mine only change is 18" wheels instead of 17's :)

rikcougar
Monday 30th January 2012, 19:53
I think you may be killed in the rush Chris, there are some beaut`s on here

LiamT4
Monday 30th January 2012, 20:12
Should be plenty of nice 850 estates on here, not many standard though.

But surely they'll be a few nice standard(ish) ones on here. lol

AndysR
Monday 30th January 2012, 20:17
Should be a nice opportunity for someone :)

T5frankie
Monday 30th January 2012, 20:26
mines standard.........:wave23d:

LiamT4
Monday 30th January 2012, 20:27
mines standard.........:wave23d:

Have you got an 855 at the minute then? Can't keep up with the cars you have! lol

Taff - t5
Monday 30th January 2012, 20:30
So is mine

local-looney
Monday 30th January 2012, 20:32
im feeling a mass get together with you lot on this one....

T5frankie
Monday 30th January 2012, 20:59
Have you got an 855 at the minute then? Can't keep up with the cars you have! lol

no i meant my v70r lol i have an 854

Flatout Phil
Monday 30th January 2012, 22:58
Is that half term week? Thoughts...

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 31st January 2012, 00:02
V70 t5 standard in green on Volvo Alloys ... Sting in the tail is that these are worth 400 so pound for pound probably the cheapest around.. Give me a track and I'll give you smoke!!

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 31st January 2012, 00:08
Mine is not in the least bit standard & I live nowhere near and its not an 850.

But I know she will do at least 150.

If anyone wants me to do the beauty treatment thing prior to the day - I'd be happy to help with the selected 850.

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 31st January 2012, 00:28
My 850 is not standard....

Santa
Tuesday 31st January 2012, 07:07
Guys can we please keep this thread on track? :-p

850 T5 estates only, I'm sure even the R's and T5R's would be considered by Chris, in a nice and standard-ish looking form.

volvokid
Tuesday 31st January 2012, 09:18
Phil use your car man

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 31st January 2012, 10:49
Shame our standard 855 T5 is off the road and in need of some work, I'm sure Mrs PA would jump at the chance :)

Niles
Tuesday 31st January 2012, 11:14
offer 1.....
want this car? (as soon as my f'in turbo gives up smoking)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/Rnice2.jpg

stephenevans99
Tuesday 31st January 2012, 11:18
Where's Pookie ?....his 855 T5 is redder than red and simply gorgeous - a beautiful example of 855 T5.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 31st January 2012, 12:17
I have to agree, Flatout Phil get your motor suggested! Its mint and near standard...

Chris Chilton
Tuesday 31st January 2012, 21:37
Thanks to all for the excellent response. Forgot how tough these things look. To those who offered cars: if you can just give me a day or so to nail the other cars, I'll come back with some concrete details

pookie
Tuesday 31st January 2012, 23:35
Where's Pookie ?....his 855 T5 is redder than red and simply gorgeous - a beautiful example of 855 T5.

Thanks for that, I'm looking with interest but mine's an R.

Salut!

Pookie

stephenevans99
Wednesday 1st February 2012, 07:15
Thanks for that, I'm looking with interest but mine's an R.

Salut!

Pookie

Aren't they the same bar a few badges and stuff ;)

I think your R would do the Volvo community proud if picked for the article.

Steve

Chris Chilton
Thursday 9th February 2012, 10:42
Apologies for taking so long to get back to the forum, I've had a nightmare trying to source an early Esprit Turbo. I've now got one, but it's in Solihull, and since it's only got 8K on the clock, I'm going to have to shoot the feature up that way. The photographer is busy looking around for places to shoot, but it'll probably be south or south east of Brum.

I do have a date at least: Friday 17th Feb, so a week on Friday. I appreciate that it's now not much notice for people to juggle work, but if anyone with a standard-looking wagon would like to come along to the new location, stick a post on here and I'll check back. I suppose the ed would say a T5 or T5-R would be fractionally preferable to an R, just because they were the first.

Jamest5r
Thursday 9th February 2012, 11:11
I'm in Birmingham

endo-t5
Thursday 9th February 2012, 11:13
it would be nice to have a volvo feature done using a t5,t5-r,r, maybe a buying feature as the 850 is a bargain performance car and seems to be going up in value.

PHIL V70R
Thursday 9th February 2012, 11:14
can we pop along and have a look any way....shame mains an R..LOL

cherry1809
Thursday 9th February 2012, 11:31
Mine still looks standard, Just a bit beat up... Will polish out I expect :D

LiamT4
Thursday 9th February 2012, 20:00
I'm in Birmingham

There you go then, yours still looks standard.

Just don't go racing any of the other cars...............you may embarress them! ;)

Chris Chilton
Thursday 9th February 2012, 21:53
Jamest5r - so can I count you in? Have to make clear that it'd be a fairly full day of freezing your arse off in the cold in exchange for some great pictures. If you're fine with that stick the date in your diary and i'll pm you with exact details when i get them.

Thanks again to everyone. It's going to be great seeing a Volvo wagon muscling in on a shoot with an Esprit and BMW M635csi. Some of the tweedier MG-loving Classic Cars readers are going to hate it. Ideal!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 9th February 2012, 22:04
James if u want me to detail the car beforehand then let me know

LiamT4
Thursday 9th February 2012, 22:08
Nice varition of cars there, go on james it'd be rude not to.

Surprised there weren't more interested, i'd definatly do it if i had a t5-r.

Jamest5r
Thursday 9th February 2012, 22:22
Jamest5r - so can I count you in? Have to make clear that it'd be a fairly full day of freezing your arse off in the cold in exchange for some great pictures. If you're fine with that stick the date in your diary and i'll pm you with exact details when i get them.

Thanks again to everyone. It's going to be great seeing a Volvo wagon muscling in on a shoot with an Esprit and BMW M635csi. Some of the tweedier MG-loving Classic Cars readers are going to hate it. Ideal!

Of course im in :) self employed so no probs with work, pm away :)

Dave dont know where im going to fit a full detail in, ill bring the car up to bowling Sat so you can give it the once over and advice, need to get the rims refurbed as well me thinks, not much bloody time wernt expecting this lol.

p fandango
Thursday 9th February 2012, 22:28
if we've still got snow the other 2 RWD cars won't be able to get there anyway lol

LiamT4
Thursday 9th February 2012, 22:39
if we've still got snow the other 2 RWD cars won't be able to get there anyway lol

From what i'v heard, your laguna would struggle as well.lol

Wobbly Dave
Friday 10th February 2012, 00:15
Of course im in :) self employed so no probs with work, pm away :)

Dave dont know where im going to fit a full detail in, ill bring the car up to bowling Sat so you can give it the once over and advice, need to get the rims refurbed as well me thinks, not much bloody time wernt expecting this lol.
If you have a covered workspace which is not too cold (I can bring a gas burner), I am happy to put in a weekends work on it. Just depends when the shoot is?

I know it is your car - but it kinda feels like our forum on display - so I'd really like to help?

The Flying Moose
Friday 10th February 2012, 01:09
Really glad a suitable car has been found, I think you might find quite a few tag alongs James!

Lets see if we can fill the spectators car park with Volvo's eh!!!

Jamest5r
Friday 10th February 2012, 09:21
If you have a covered workspace which is not too cold (I can bring a gas burner), I am happy to put in a weekends work on it. Just depends when the shoot is?

I know it is your car - but it kinda feels like our forum on display - so I'd really like to help?

It's on bloody Friday mate not long at all, will discuss options with you tomorrow.

smithy
Friday 10th February 2012, 10:19
It's on bloody Friday mate not long at all, will discuss options with you tomorrow.

shall i bring a cd with i want to be famous by bross on it and blast it out lol.i could see you with blonde spiky hair on the front of the magazine pmsl.

cherry1809
Friday 10th February 2012, 10:50
It was Bros and When will I be famous?... Er, I think. Lol.

Jamest5r
Friday 10th February 2012, 12:33
shall i bring a cd with i want to be famous by bross on it and blast it out lol.i could see you with blonde spiky hair on the front of the magazine pmsl.

Oi short arse your gonna get a slap :)

Least I've still got hair :)

smithy
Friday 10th February 2012, 15:10
Oi short arse your gonna get a slap :)

Least I've still got hair :)

women find bald men more sexy didnt you know that, bros fan lol

T5frankie
Friday 10th February 2012, 15:29
women find bald men more sexy didnt you know that, bros fan lol

smithys real name is richard fairbrass pmsl

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/09/17/article-2037898-0DF2D63500000578-850_306x423.jpg

Jamest5r
Friday 10th February 2012, 16:55
Quality frankie :)

shrekblackR
Sunday 12th February 2012, 13:07
well done james do us all proud car will look cool as

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 12th February 2012, 20:36
When is the shoot?

Jamest5r
Monday 13th February 2012, 12:29
Friday

Wobbly Dave
Monday 13th February 2012, 14:21
I have no chance then, unless a team of 4 people set to it.

Jamest5r
Monday 13th February 2012, 16:24
It's not that bad you Cheeky git lol

smithy
Monday 13th February 2012, 16:45
It's not that bad you Cheeky git lol

i know mate but wd has got ocd when it comes to polishing cars .

Wobbly Dave
Monday 13th February 2012, 17:05
:stupid:
I was not casting aspertions on your clear coat. I meant there is insufficient time to do the car to a standard wherein I'd be happy -

t5 pete
Monday 13th February 2012, 17:27
:stupid:
I was not casting aspertions on your clear coat. I meant there is insufficient time to do the car to a standard wherein I'd be happy -

never mind james myne needs that clay bar stuff doing to make it nice and smooth lol
So another job for wobbly

LiamT4
Monday 13th February 2012, 20:36
I know its short notice but i'm not at work tomorrow, if you need a hand giving it a clean, polish, etc (won't be as good if wobbly did it, but 2 people are better than 1). Just a thought.

I'm off wednesday as well, but as its the mrs birthday i doubt she'd be happy if i said "going round james place on wednesday to give his car a clean" lol.

Jamest5r
Monday 13th February 2012, 21:02
I know its short notice but i'm not at work tomorrow, if you need a hand giving it a clean, polish, etc (won't be as good if wobbly did it, but 2 people are better than 1). Just a thought.

I'm off wednesday as well, but as its the mrs birthday i doubt she'd be happy if i said "going round james place on wednesday to give his car a clean" lol.

Thanks for the offer mate but after spending 4hrs cleaning it yesterday came out this morning and the saffy had a flat tyre osf so had the take the 850 to work and now its covered in crap lol, best i just clean it thursday night me think's :)

LiamT4
Monday 13th February 2012, 21:08
Thanks for the offer mate but after spending 4hrs cleaning it yesterday came out this morning and the saffy had a flat tyre osf so had the take the 850 to work and now its covered in crap lol, best i just clean it thursday night me think's :)

lol typical!

No probs.

If its really dirty on thursday and you don't have the time to give it a proper clean, take it to a local car wash place to give it a clean then go over it with a good detailer.

I use maguires detailer and its fantastic at making a car look good when you don't have the time to do the whole polish/wax job.

Jamest5r
Monday 13th February 2012, 21:12
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...that's what i did lol, amazing what service you get for a tenner round here lol, take proper care as im a regular lol.

LiamT4
Monday 13th February 2012, 21:19
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...that's what i did lol, amazing what service you get for a tenner round here lol, take proper care as im a regular lol.

lol!!

Be good to see your car in a magazine.

I wonder what reaction it'll get?

Jamest5r
Monday 13th February 2012, 21:44
Load of abuse from the purists probably lol

Jamest5r
Thursday 16th February 2012, 20:35
Well tomorrow is the day :) car's in the shoot are a BMW 635, Lotus Esprit, TVR & Volvo T5R :).

Car is half way ready spent 4hrs on it sunday and parked it up on the drive ready then came out at 4am Monday for work and the saffy had a flat so been using the 850 for work all week.

Smithy being the top bloke he is will be at mine for 7am so we can get it up to scratch in the 90mins we have till i have to leave, tough call but im sure it will look cool :)

Will take some pics of the day and post tomorrow.

Pinup_gal
Thursday 16th February 2012, 20:39
Have a good day mate!!

LiamT4
Thursday 16th February 2012, 22:28
Make sure you take some detailer just in case.