PDA

View Full Version : Help

RussC70t5
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:08
I have a r reg c70 2.4t.when I got the car it was low on oil but didn't put me off as been serviced every 10.000 miles and everything was find.now I checked it the other day and my oil level was low practically empty I've only done 3.000 miles and the dipstick had mayonnaise on it it's not over heating and no exhaust fumes out header tank so am hoping not the cylinder head.temp stays normal on gadge.but I checked the water pipes to engine from radiator top hose gets hot and pressures right up so pipe is hard but bottom hose is freezing cold and no pressure I'm guessing water pump has seized and engine oil has been cooling engine making level drop fast. I'm just wanting a second opinion

t5 pete
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:10
Try a new thermostat first these cars can suffer from mayo on dipstick due to condensation.

p fandango
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:10
or the oil cooler has failed in the radiator, a common problem

RussC70t5
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:15
How can I check oil cooler. I will try a new thermostat tomorrow

LiamT4
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:17
The mayo on the dipstick can be caused by condenstion, both volvos i'v owned have had this at some point.

When was the last time you did a long journey in it? If i go for a decent drive, say 45mins then it clears up, but on the short journeys it doesn't have enough time to clear it.

What oil are you using? Did you use a different oil the last time?

I ask this because my car uses some oils faster than others.

Hope its something simple like this.

RussC70t5
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:25
I used 5 30 semi synthetic as that's all I could get at the time as I had to buy from a service station I only use car to go back and forward to work bout 2mile each way and to get to college once a week which is 50mile round trip.used a bit at nights as I cruise around.the mayonnaise has cleared since I've topped oil up

deathrider311271
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:30
on the thinner 5w30 mine used 5 litres in about 3k miles, hence why i reverted back to the recommended 10w40 semi synthetic, only use approx 2 litres between 5k oil/filter changes

LiamT4
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:40
Sounds like it could just be a combination of cheap, thin oil and short journeys.

RussC70t5
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:41
So hopefully just using oil. But what about the water pipes the bottom hose is cold but top hose is pressurising and hot

LiamT4
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:46
So hopefully just using oil. But what about the water pipes the bottom hose is cold but top hose is pressurising and hot

Forgot about that bit, sorry. lol

As has been said try the thermostat first, see how it goes.

M-R-P
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:51
Just sounds like a dodgy stat causing the hot/cold pipes. Change stat and cross the fingers ;)

RussC70t5
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:59
Cheers for all your help.am going to put a forte oil flush through tomorrow and some nice fresh good quality oil new filter.put a forte coolant flush through fresh coolant and a new thermostat on and some oil additive and coolant conditioner get all the forte stuff for free as work at a garage as apprentice mechanic.i would of asked mechanics at work but all I got told was I'm 24 not 64 and to scrap it and buy a impreza

RussC70t5
Thursday 26th January 2012, 23:04
I will keep you updated

LiamT4
Thursday 26th January 2012, 23:13
Cheers for all your help.am going to put a forte oil flush through tomorrow and some nice fresh good quality oil new filter.put a forte coolant flush through fresh coolant and a new thermostat on and some oil additive and coolant conditioner get all the forte stuff for free as work at a garage as apprentice mechanic.i would of asked mechanics at work but all I got told was I'm 24 not 64 and to scrap it and buy a impreza

Tell them that your 24 but your NOT a chav! lol