PDA

View Full Version : Heater matrix

MobyUK
Thursday 26th January 2012, 20:39
Hi folks. I'm about to change the heater matrix in the '97 T5 and wondered if anyoner had come across a pictorial "how to" anywhere.

daza-b
Thursday 26th January 2012, 20:41
even with a how to guide......good luck, pig of a job!

claymore
Thursday 26th January 2012, 20:47
even with a how to guide......good luck, pig of a job!
??? Has to be one of the easyest in the world to do.

MobyUK
Thursday 26th January 2012, 20:51
Well, there's a range of thoughts :-)

claymore
Thursday 26th January 2012, 20:58
Try this
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40547

Note: this is for a left hand drive car, so any time it mentions drivers side, it's the passanger side

daza-b
Thursday 26th January 2012, 21:00
sorry i must be wrong haha im thinking of other cars, last time i tried one was on a v6 veccy, and it was a nightmare lol

MobyUK
Thursday 26th January 2012, 21:00
Thanks Claymore. I'd seen that before but couldn't remember where. I assume that's on an LHD 850 so when they talk about drivers side on mine it would be passenger side.

The Flying Moose
Thursday 26th January 2012, 21:13
I think you have similar issues to my system. Constantly steaming up... takes around 15 minutes to de-mist?

If so Ill watch with great interest!

daza-b
Thursday 26th January 2012, 21:17
i get a really strong hot coolant smell from mine, and same, always mists up when heaters are on and takes forever to go unless i put cold on, when i change mine ill do another "how to guide" on it if that would help, will do mine when i do the engine swap :D

The Flying Moose
Thursday 26th January 2012, 21:20
i get a really strong hot coolant smell from mine, and same, always mists up when heaters are on and takes forever to go unless i put cold on, when i change mine ill do another "how to guide" on it if that would help, will do mine when i do the engine swap :D

Yes thats exactly what I get, a slightly "oily" smell?

daza-b
Thursday 26th January 2012, 21:21
Yes thats exactly what I get, a slightly "oily" smell?

yea thats the one, does smell like burnt oil but its actually coolant lol weird it is

MobyUK
Thursday 26th January 2012, 21:50
Claymore, just read your post again.......missed the bit where you answered my question before I asked it. Very cool

Just been reading your post on the super+turbo project. Very interesting. Love the sound in some of the vids.

Yep Flying Moose, always misting up and gets worse when I turn the demister on unless it's blowing cold air. The only thing that's worrying me is I don't really get any smells. But then I can't see what else can cause the misting apart from a blocked aircon drain, but that's ok.

bigrotch
Thursday 26th January 2012, 21:54
I put a bit on here the othe week step buy step and it is very easy

MobyUK
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:11
Cheers bigrotch. Found your post.

The Flying Moose
Thursday 26th January 2012, 22:14
Moby, certainly sounds the same. I never get the issue when blowing cold. Its why I never had a problem in the summer I believe. It hasnt gotten any worse since December 10 when it was first noticed though.

MobyUK
Thursday 26th January 2012, 23:14
Hi Flying. The same with me, ok in the summer. And, strangely, mine gets worse when it's been raining hard and the car has been sitting.
It's things that sort of thing that worries me whether there may be something else going on.
Anyway, the matrix gets change on Monday so we'll see how it goes.
I'll post back with the results.

MobyUK
Monday 30th January 2012, 22:13
Well, had the matrix replaced and it appears to have cured the problem. The old one seemed to have been leaking but not very much. I'm surprised it was enought to cause the problem.
Out of interest it took my mate (is a mechanic) about 2 hours to do the job and take it for a run to test.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 30th January 2012, 22:17
It doesn't take a lot of leakage to present as an issue - the stuff that does leak gets vapourised by the heater & then blown around - hence the radiator warning light & the continuously steamy windows especially in cold weather where it tends to condense out more easily on the glass.

bigrotch
Monday 30th January 2012, 22:29
Myne was like a steamer all the time misty windows more passanger side as the coolant was collecting in the foot well etc

MobyUK
Monday 30th January 2012, 22:51
Yeah Bigrotch, it was always worse for me on the passenger side.