PDA

View Full Version : Gear-tronic DIY fluid change.

a lex
Thursday 26th January 2012, 12:01
2001 V70 T5 with the gear-tronic box.

Is a home DIY fluid change a reasonable prospect? Ive got tools and experience with other cars, but never worked on Volvo before. Id rate myself as an average/competent home mechanic.

The car is new to me and I have no idea if the fluid has been done..... id like to pre-empt any problems and change the fluid.

I dont doubt its been asked before, so links as well as full answers are very much appreciated :)

Cheers

Al

The Flying Moose
Thursday 26th January 2012, 13:26
As far as I am aware yes, should be a reasonably easy change. If I remember correctly the auto box's take around 7 litres of fluid.

You empty the fluid using a removable nut on the bottom of the gearbox but it has to be filled back up via the autobox dipstick!

The older Volvo's with the AW50-42 box required Dexron III or Mercon standard however I believe yours had the AW55-50/51SN transmittion so would need Mobil/Volvo JWS 3309 standard oil which unlike the older boxes is not sythetic.

I would however double check on these standards as Im not 100%.

MattM
Thursday 26th January 2012, 13:32
Personally I'd pay for a proper flush/change from an indie.

GazT4R
Thursday 26th January 2012, 16:49
A proper flush requires quite a lot of fluid, around 14 litres minimum iirc.
Same basic set-up as an 850 flush but iirc the fluid runs the opposite way through the cooler so you drain via the bottom hose rather than the top.
I think Matthews Volvo Site may have a guide and P" notes too.

a lex
Thursday 26th January 2012, 17:04
Personally I'd pay for a proper flush/change from an indie.

Yup, id prefer that too - but the car spends most of its time outside the UK and when it is in the UK I am usually too busy.

Im searching for an indie locally here in NL, but its easier said than done - hence me considering DIY.