PDA

View Full Version : Nivomax Suspension

yamma1
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 17:59
Anybody got the lowdown on "Nivomax" dampers. Looks like my rear dampers are donald ducked and when I've had a peek they look suspiciously like the nivomax dampers (with rubber gaiter on the lower half). Is there an easy way to tell without taking them off and more to the point can I replace them with something that's not going to make me cry like a kiddie fiddler in the prison shower when I've got to hand over £160 a corner?

JackT5
Thursday 25th August 2005, 07:20
If they are nivomats and are in need of changing, the cheapest option is to replace the rear springs and swop the nivos for shockers. Give vt a ring or search the suspension threads for an idea of the cost but i'm sure it's much cheaper.

yamma1
Thursday 25th August 2005, 12:44
cheers JackT5 - any particular reason why the springs need to be changed as well?

Martinr
Thursday 25th August 2005, 13:45
Nivomats are self levellers. They use different springs to standard shocks. Therefore if you want to change away from them you will need to replace the springs as well.

madness
Thursday 25th August 2005, 13:59
nivomats £300 each.

yamma1
Thursday 25th August 2005, 16:40
I'm in a dilema! The ride at the rear is harsh enough to rattle your fillings and it does feel like the shocks are goosed - on anything but the smoothest roads the car feels like the rear suspension it about to detach itself from the body but doing the corner "bump" test the car doesn't bounce like you would expect with worn shocks and there are no clunks or knocks to indicate knackered bushes etc. Could worn top mounts cause the same symptoms or is it a quirk of the car and something I'll have to live with??

Rufe
Thursday 25th August 2005, 18:42
nivomats £300 each.
or about £400 for the both sides if bought in kit form i believe.

JackT5
Friday 26th August 2005, 07:06
In all honesty i don't know what the failure syptoms are with nivos other than the bounce test, top mounts do seem to be a fairly common problem so would be worth checking them before anything else.