PDA

View Full Version : Advice for 1st time home mechanic please

Brighty123
Monday 23rd January 2012, 22:12
Hi guys

Need some advice on doing work on my '98 V70 T5 Auto i bought in July. Have a few MOT advisories to attend to and will need a good service as i don't know what's been done and when. I've never done any work on cars before so it is all new to me, but as a mechanical design engineer by trade i should be fairly mechanically minded, lol. Have a friendly neighbour who has more tools than you can shake a stick at, as he's always tinkering with his old sprite and has a trolly jack i can use. I have a haynes manual on the way. Usually send my cars to main dealers but begrudge paying those sort of prices for a car that cost me £900, so this seems the perfect little project to learn to do things myself on.

Firstly, where's best to get parts from? Rock up at the main dealer? Copy parts from euro car parts etc or are there online stores for genuine parts cheaper than main dealer? Can i get main dealer discount if i join the owners club? There's only 1 main dealer anywhere near me and that's Middlesbrough i think.

Next up, the following is a list of work that needs doing and i'd appreciate if some of you more savvy home mechanics could rate these for difficulty for a first timer, maybe a 1-5 rating, 1 being a piece of pee and 5 being don't even attempt it.

Advisories
1) "Nearside front headlight deteriorated but light output not affected" assume these means 2 new headlights, not an urgent one this, but must admit headlights are a bit 'candle in a jam jar'
2) "Offside track rod end ball joint has slight play" As the part is cheap, would i be best off changing both side?
3) "Power steering pipe(s) or hose(s) has slight seepage from a component" Obviously need to have a look to see where it's coming from and sort as necessary
4) "off side front tie rod has slight play" not sure what this is, but again do i change both sides?
5) " Cat has slight rattle" May look at a new cat depending how bad it is

Service Items, anything else i should look at doing or any that are not necessary if she's running ok? Looking through the receipts, the cam belt and water pump were done in July 2010 at 147K so only 22k ago, assume i've got a while before i need to worry about that?
1) Oil/Filter Change
2) Fuel Filter
3) Air Filter
4) Coolant change
5) Plugs
6) Power steering fluid change
7) Gear box flush/change (is this a good idea on a car with 170k when you don't know if it's been done before, read on here or somewhere that it could do more damage than good?)
8) Brake fluid change/bleed

Cheers guys

Brighty

Kingsford G
Monday 23rd January 2012, 22:24
U gonna need a newe headlights,don`t have to chnge 2ball joints,tie rod end is a tracker rod end connects yr steering rack to the wheel nub.U can get them all at euro car parts or other parts suppliers .Just dont buy a Qdrive made parts(normally from eurocarparts),waste of money.

daza-b
Monday 23rd January 2012, 22:26
dont do any mechanicing is my advise haha

M-R-P
Monday 23rd January 2012, 22:42
Hi guys

Need some advice on doing work on my '98 V70 T5 Auto i bought in July. Have a few MOT advisories to attend to and will need a good service as i don't know what's been done and when. I've never done any work on cars before so it is all new to me, but as a mechanical design engineer by trade i should be fairly mechanically minded, lol. Have a friendly neighbour who has more tools than you can shake a stick at, as he's always tinkering with his old sprite and has a trolly jack i can use. I have a haynes manual on the way. Usually send my cars to main dealers but begrudge paying those sort of prices for a car that cost me £900, so this seems the perfect little project to learn to do things myself on.

Firstly, where's best to get parts from? Rock up at the main dealer? Copy parts from euro car parts etc or are there online stores for genuine parts cheaper than main dealer? Can i get main dealer discount if i join the owners club? There's only 1 main dealer anywhere near me and that's Middlesbrough i think.

Next up, the following is a list of work that needs doing and i'd appreciate if some of you more savvy home mechanics could rate these for difficulty for a first timer, maybe a 1-5 rating, 1 being a piece of pee and 5 being don't even attempt it.

Advisories
1) "Nearside front headlight deteriorated but light output not affected" assume these means 2 new headlights, not an urgent one this, but must admit headlights are a bit 'candle in a jam jar' Easy enough but you'd have to get them aligned after.
2) "Offside track rod end ball joint has slight play" As the part is cheap, would i be best off changing both side? Easy enough, if awkward. Get tracking done after or you'll be spending out on new rubber!
3) "Power steering pipe(s) or hose(s) has slight seepage from a component" Obviously need to have a look to see where it's coming from and sort as necessary Find it first then worry about it.
4) "off side front tie rod has slight play" not sure what this is, but again do i change both sides? If tie rod means track rod, see above
5) " Cat has slight rattle" May look at a new cat depending how bad it is
Cat can be tricky to change if the bolts have corroded, sports cats can be cheaper

Service Items, anything else i should look at doing or any that are not necessary if she's running ok? Looking through the receipts, the cam belt and water pump were done in July 2010 at 147K so only 22k ago, assume i've got a while before i need to worry about that?
1) Oil/Filter Change
2) Fuel Filter
3) Air Filter
4) Coolant change
5) Plugs
6) Power steering fluid change
7) Gear box flush/change (is this a good idea on a car with 170k when you don't know if it's been done before, read on here or somewhere that it could do more damage than good?)
8) Brake fluid change/bleed

Cheers guys

Brighty

Standard service stuff is easy, all in the Haynes book of lies ;)
May be wise to check the pcv, if you haven't already.
Tranny fluid change is a good thing, if it's a manual, 75/90 GL 4/5 full synth, not sure about auto.

Have fun.
I knew very little about cars before I got my T5, now I know how to re-attach the bits that fall off;)

Kingsford G
Monday 23rd January 2012, 22:48
now I know how to re-attach the bits that fall off;)

So do I just stick them with a fruity chewing gum for heat resistance use an extra mint one.LOL No offence just being silly.

jayeastanglia
Monday 23rd January 2012, 22:49
as above and dont bother with main dealer once a car is 10 years old much cheaper and easier to get any other decent non dealer garage can do the work..plus as i once worked for a main dealer the work is no better than any other non dealer garage only bonus with main dealer is they get any updates on ecu software quicker and any recalls are done but again once 10 years are up a main dealer wont really want to know.

M-R-P
Monday 23rd January 2012, 22:55
So do I just stick them with a fruity chewing gum for heat resistance use an extra mint one.LOL No offence just being silly.

Haha, funny as :) Careful tho, I'll be up your neck of the woods in a few months, i might have to give you a spanking ;)

Forgot to mention, places like GSF (not sure about euro) do OE spec parts, i.e. parts made by companies who make parts for manufacturers. As an example, when buying new front 305mm disks for mine, I was offered cheapo pattern disks at 45 quid, OE quality (but not OE) for 65 quid or top spec OE ones for 88 quid. I paid 88 quid and was handed a box with Brembo printed on it :)

Kingsford G
Tuesday 24th January 2012, 00:21
Haha, funny as :) Careful tho, I'll be up your neck of the woods in a few months, i might have to give you a spanking ;)

Forgot to mention, places like GSF (not sure about euro) do OE spec parts, i.e. parts made by companies who make parts for manufacturers. As an example, when buying new front 305mm disks for mine, I was offered cheapo pattern disks at 45 quid, OE quality (but not OE) for 65 quid or top spec OE ones for 88 quid. I paid 88 quid and was handed a box with Brembo printed on it :)

GSF is very good if u have one near by,the nearest to us is 25miles and they don`t come out here thats y I don`t use them.They do sell Brembos for good price.

jayeastanglia
Tuesday 24th January 2012, 08:52
4) "off side front tie rod has slight play" not sure what this is, but again do i change both sides?

This is the bit which is under the steering gaitor which then connects to the track rod end(mines got a little play on 1 side.) think theres 2 diffrent racks as well so may need to check the one on the car first

M-R-P
Tuesday 24th January 2012, 14:57

This is the bit which is under the steering gaitor which then connects to the track rod end(mines got a little play on 1 side.) think theres 2 diffrent racks as well so may need to check the one on the car first
Awkward bugger that, not a lot of room to get tools in :(

PHIL V70R
Tuesday 24th January 2012, 18:56
when we did mine as we replaced one side we did the other..just 2 be safe and not sorry mate..........