PDA

View Full Version : lambda light

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 12:34
Does the lambda light have to be cleared once a new sensor is fitted as mine is still on?

would i need to use one of these as my car is de-catted?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250930692836?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1400wt_1080

AndysR
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 12:41
How many sensors does you car run 1 or 2?

If you have a one sensor set up then as it is before the cat it shouldn't make any difference to the car whether the car has a cat or not from the ECU's point of view. If it has 2 sensors then I would remove the 2nd one and have the 2nd sensor option deleted from the software on your ECU to stop the light coming on as the 2nd sensor isn't necessary without a cat ;)

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 13:22
it only has one sensor pre cat mate

T4Rick
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 14:10
Yes it does Frankie lol

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 14:11
Yes it does Frankie lol

what? need clearing?

daza-b
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 14:14
what? need clearing?

think so m8

T4Rick
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 14:44
It will need clearing Frankie.On my old T4 i replaced my old sensors and ended up getting a code reader to wipe them off

dalhousie2008
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 14:57
I posted recently mine came on after mot, now just this week gone off after 2,000 miles all by itself

LiamT4
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 17:00
If theres no issues then the light will go off after a certain amount of time.

Actually, As you have no cat the the light will be on all the time as the second sensor will be telling you there is a problem with the cat i.e is hasn't got one! lol

Volvostorm
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 17:03
Pull the ECU out for an hour or so, worked on mine.

It just relearns everything

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 17:11
If theres no issues then the light will go off after a certain amount of time.

Actually, As you have no cat the the light will be on all the time as the second sensor will be telling you there is a problem with the cat i.e is hasn't got one! lol

how many sensors you got on yours liam? i thought you said it had one

dalhousie2008
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 17:38
i thought one sensor on the 850's (after enquiring about de-cat) and two on the v70r. Was it before and after cat or something on them.

T4Rick
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 18:06
Does the lambda light have to be cleared once a new sensor is fitted as mine is still on?

would i need to use one of these as my car is de-catted?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250930692836?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1400wt_1080

Cars that have had there cats removed will be checked this year and will fail if there isnt one present on the car from march unless you have a friendly mot test inspector cough cough lol there clamping down on alsorts of stuff

LiamT4
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 20:47
how many sensors you got on yours liam? i thought you said it had one

They should have two, one on the downpipe and one on the cat. The second sensor is for measuring the emissions and lets you know if theres anything wrong.

When doing a de-cat they will make a fitting on the replacement pipe so the second sensor still has somewhere to go. But even though the car could be running fine, it will bring the light on as theres no cat anymore.

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 21:04
They should have two, one on the downpipe and one on the cat. The second sensor is for measuring the emissions and lets you know if theres anything wrong.

When doing a de-cat they will make a fitting on the replacement pipe so the second sensor still has somewhere to go. But even though the car could be running fine, it will bring the light on as theres no cat anymore.

no mate just have a pipe in its place and nowt else

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 21:05
Cars that have had there cats removed will be checked this year and will fail if there isnt one present on the car from march unless you have a friendly mot test inspector cough cough lol there clamping down on alsorts of stuff

just had mine mot'd last month with no cat and it was running rich too over 8 times the allowed amount of co2 lol and passed

LiamT4
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 21:26
no mate just have a pipe in its place and nowt else

You've got a sensor missing then. Are you sure its not fitted on the top of the pipe, out the way?

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 21:29
You've got a sensor missing then. Are you sure its not fitted on the top of the pipe, out the way?

not 100% sure mate i'll have to check it properly, i didnt see one and i was underneath it today

LiamT4
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 21:31
not 100% sure mate i'll have to check it properly, i didnt see one and i was underneath it today

When i had a de-cat on my t4, the sensor was fitted on the top of the pipe.
Could only see it properly when the car was on a ramp.

smithson007
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 22:49

Im sure myne's only got 1 sensor too.

endo-t5
Monday 23rd January 2012, 18:24
think there's a trick where you mount the second sensor in the decat but use a longer boss to move sensor out and fools it to thinking it's still got a cat in. Think I read it on the net somewhere about cars with 2 sensors.
I've just replaced my sensor last week when my light came on and swapped to my other ecu as the light was still on after fitting but was fine on one ecu got to put the other ecu back in and read the codes as just read the codes today on one thats in and all fine now.

T5frankie
Monday 23rd January 2012, 18:35
tim williams seemed to think they only have 1

Jamest5r
Monday 23rd January 2012, 19:48
Ive got both lamba's in but the last one isnt connected to anything lol its an obx system de-cat and ive got no light :)

Jamest5r
Monday 23rd January 2012, 19:55
Last wednesday i got the exhaust from the mrs 850 put onto her v70 t5, its got a race cat and obx back, the exhaust place just re-welded the 2nd lamba in the pipe after the cat and i used an extended wire and got no light :)

T5frankie
Monday 23rd January 2012, 19:59
so basically powerflow have just done a quick job and welded in a pipe not giving a stuff about the lambda

LiamT4
Monday 23rd January 2012, 20:11
Ive got both lamba's in but the last one isnt connected to anything lol its an obx system de-cat and ive got no light :)

Removed the bulb have you. lol

Last wednesday i got the exhaust from the mrs 850 put onto her v70 t5, its got a race cat and obx back, the exhaust place just re-welded the 2nd lamba in the pipe after the cat and i used an extended wire and got no light :)

If the engine is good then there shouldn't be a problem when running a race cat.

Yosser
Monday 23rd January 2012, 20:14
tim williams seemed to think they only have 1

... and he'd be right.

The S and V70R with manual transmission only have one lambda sensor (pre cat), everything else has two.

LiamT4
Monday 23rd January 2012, 20:15
so basically powerflow have just done a quick job and welded in a pipe not giving a stuff about the lambda

Have you got underneath to check all round the pipe?

LiamT4
Monday 23rd January 2012, 20:17
... and he'd be right.

The S and V70R with manual transmission only have one lambda sensor (pre cat), everything else has two.

Whats the point of the autos having 2?

apart from to make it more annoying for me.

Jamest5r
Monday 23rd January 2012, 20:28
... and he'd be right.

Never knew that...cheers :)

T5frankie
Monday 23rd January 2012, 20:28
... and he'd be right.

i thought id heard that before, so why is my lambda light on?

endo-t5
Monday 23rd January 2012, 20:39
read the codes as my light came on when it went cold the other day when i had been out in it and then went back out to it to pick daughter up it was on and sensor replaced so it could be sensor gone faulty or needs a clean

T5frankie
Monday 23rd January 2012, 20:41
read the codes as my light came on when it went cold the other day when i had been out in it and then went back out to it to pick daughter up it was on and sensor replaced so it could be sensor gone faulty or needs a clean

just changed the sensor, i know it works cos my mpg has doubled, the light came on originally when it was decatted

Yosser
Monday 23rd January 2012, 20:43
Whats the point of the autos having 2?

No idea, but (without wanting to be rude) the auto R's are just T5's with different trim. The manual R has a larger turbo, different ecu, M59 box etc, and it's not quite the same as a T5. The manual T5 would also have 2 sensors.

The rear o2 sensor only measures the efficiency of the cat anyway, and it can be programmed out by a competent tuner or just spaced out as already suggested.

i thought id heard that before, so why is my lambda light on?

You probably just need the initial fault code cleared.

LiamT4
Monday 23rd January 2012, 20:51
No idea, but (without wanting to be rude) the auto R's are just T5's with different trim. The manual R has a larger turbo, different ecu, M59 box etc, and it's not quite the same as a T5. The manual T5 would also have 2 sensors.

The rear o2 sensor only measures the efficiency of the cat anyway, and it can be programmed out by a competent tuner or just spaced out as already suggested.

You probably just need the initial fault code cleared.

No worries lol

What i mean is that (as you have said) the second sensor just measures the gasses to tell you that the cat is working, could volvo just not be arsed when it came to the manual R?? lol

My local volvo main stealer sorted my t4 so that the light was off even though there was no cat.

T5frankie
Monday 23rd January 2012, 21:09
yeah liam hows your t5?

LiamT4
Monday 23rd January 2012, 21:12
yeah liam hows your t5?

Says R on the logbook mate. :P

T5frankie
Monday 23rd January 2012, 21:15
Says R on the logbook mate. :P

t5 in drag lol

LiamT4
Monday 23rd January 2012, 21:18
t5 in drag lol

Yep, its got the interior, 9 speakers, suspension, wheels and front spoiler, just not the 18t, ecu and the box (the main bits lol)

T5frankie
Monday 23rd January 2012, 21:21
Yep, its got the interior, 9 speakers, suspension, wheels and front spoiler, just not the 18t, ecu and the box (the main bits lol)

9 speakers were an option too

LiamT4
Monday 23rd January 2012, 21:31
9 speakers were an option too

Just an s70 R-design then! I'll go and take the badge off the back tomorrow.

If i put an 18t on it, can i say its an s70r then? lol

T5frankie
Monday 23rd January 2012, 21:32
Just an s70 R-design then! I'll go and take the badge off the back tomorrow.

If i put an 18t on it, can i say its an s70r then? lol

should of done that ages ago mate

LiamT4
Monday 23rd January 2012, 21:37
should of done that ages ago mate

Yep.

nevermind