PDA

View Full Version : Coil overs

T4Rick
Saturday 21st January 2012, 10:53
Who has coils fitted to there motor?what do you think of them and are they worth there money and what sort of money did you pay for them?Are the cheapers options better or is it worth getting the good stuff,ive never had a set of coil overs before.Im looking into getting a set but carnt decide between the porsche brake up grade and the coil overs which one to get first.

cherry1809
Saturday 21st January 2012, 11:16
From what I was told, They can be quite firm for road use, Even on the lower settings. Doesn't bother me much as the car won't be staying my daily. There's good and bad reports from expensive sets and the cheapies. Depends if your going to be ragging it round a track or not every weekend.

daza-b
Saturday 21st January 2012, 11:20
i had coilovers on my old E36 325i, they are very firm, but make the handling 10 times better i must admit, especially when accompanied by front and rear strut braces, was like it was on rails, and i only paid £280 for the coil overs...i know its not a volvo but may be of some help?

T4Rick
Saturday 21st January 2012, 11:30
Ive seen some fk coil overs for £542 i think from euro performance,I wont be ragging it round a track every weekend lol more for road use.Ive also seen some german ones for £400 on ebay as well

jardon
Saturday 21st January 2012, 13:20
I have BC Racing BR Series coilovers. They were ~£500 in a group buy from Apex a year ago. My car is 99% road use and I am very happy with them on road and occasional track. Easy to acheive a balance between handling and ride and much better in all respects than my woeful Eibach/FSD combo. Ride is very subjective though and from experience forum banter on this issue is not necessarily a useful guide. Try and get a ride in a car with exactly what you propose if you really want to know - or - just get on with it and report back as somebody has to be first with a new bit of kit.

JezF
Wednesday 25th January 2012, 20:10
As Jardon, I also have BC BR coilovers.

Overall, ride quality is better, in terms of handling, the car simply feels newer as it corners with a sophistication that was lacking in the standard set-up.

Personally having had several modified cars (some heavily) in the past, coilovers is one of the first things I'd do. Remember though that it's only the front that are coilovers on a P1 - the rear suspension prohibits a rear coilover, still full adjustable though.

p fandango
Wednesday 25th January 2012, 20:38
i've seen alot of people saying coil-overs are too firm, surely the benefit of the coil-overs is the adjustiliy. Yes a bit more cost but get softer springs & set the shocks up to match

AndysR
Wednesday 25th January 2012, 21:07
If money is a no cost option then coil overs are the answer. It's the ultimate option if your serious about ultimate handling whilst retaining the adjustability to have some form of ride quality.

t5_monkey
Wednesday 25th January 2012, 22:08
Who has coils fitted to there motor?what do you think of them and are they worth there money and what sort of money did you pay for them?Are the cheapers options better or is it worth getting the good stuff,ive never had a set of coil overs before.Im looking into getting a set but carnt decide between the porsche brake up grade and the coil overs which one to get first.

Cheap ones will give a rubbish ride.

If you do fast work and track days way to go - on the bumpy pisch that passes for roads up here you may be better off on a fast road setup.

jardon
Wednesday 25th January 2012, 22:23

My experience leads me to disagree. However, it's still way too subjective for the OP to make an informed decision based on our banter. I didn't fit them from the outset because I listened to others opinions rather than trying before buying.

p fandango
Wednesday 25th January 2012, 22:26
mine were only £400, haven't used them on the road yet but i think there going to be a bit bumpy. I can't get the suspension to move, just the tyre flexs lol

t5_monkey
Wednesday 25th January 2012, 23:19
My experience leads me to disagree. However, it's still way too subjective for the OP to make an informed decision based on our banter. I didn't fit them from the outset because I listened to others opinions rather than trying before buying.

A hovercraft would give a rubbish ride with the roads up here!

abdul
Wednesday 25th January 2012, 23:59
i have bc racing coilovers first thing in the morning very harsh but afterwards handels very good

JezF
Thursday 26th January 2012, 23:08
Interesting to hear you say that Abdul. I haven't noticed that but have noticed that they seem harsher when it's cold, which might mean the same thing ie. when the oil warms up, they become more compliant?

Really cheap coilovers are going to be average, I've got <£200 Racelands on my MX5 and they are ok, but a bit bouncy and primative.

BC's are not a budget coilover, build quality is good and I imagine performance not dissimilar to the more costly Gaz option. Either way, they are a magnitude better than FSD's and make the car feel really nicely balanced.