PDA

View Full Version : P2 front wheel bearing failure - symptoms?

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 18th January 2012, 23:40
As above, anyone experienced this?

Hard to replace? Expensive?

Many thanks.

martybelfastt5
Thursday 19th January 2012, 00:06
mate its not running to smooth for you ,,,,for bearing play when the wheel is off the ground ramp/jack ect if there is play from dead top and bottom,,like a light wiggle of play holding your hand at 12&6 =bearing

Leeds_finest
Thursday 19th January 2012, 00:12
mate its not running to smooth for you ,,,,for bearing play when the wheel is off the ground ramp/jack ect if there is play from dead top and bottom,,like a light wiggle of play holding your hand at 12&6 =bearing

Lol mate, filled her with fresh oil tonight and took her out for the first drive since fixing the AWD.

No spin in 1st gear at all even in the damp.

However, noticed a whirring noise and thought maybe I had re-fitted the angle gear wrong etc... shortly after I put it down to a wheel bearing as it makes the noise louder if I cut into a bend.

p fandango
Thursday 19th January 2012, 06:07
Bonny has an occasional whirring from the passenger front for several years now, but the bearings have always been fine for the MOT's. They use the same bearing/hubs as 850's

Leeds_finest
Thursday 19th January 2012, 08:56
Would've thought it'd been cheap replacement then - non genuine part seems around the £60 mark.

Easy to change? Any tutorial/walk throughs?

p fandango
Thursday 19th January 2012, 09:09
Would've thought it'd been cheap replacement then - non genuine part seems around the £60 mark.

Easy to change? Any tutorial/walk throughs?
yeh i paid £50 but that was with a staff discount. PS my earlier info can't be right, they must be different to 850's as the wheel thread is different

this site is blocked on my work comp, but from the description think it'll help LINK (http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-10/s60-front-hub-axle-replacement-worthy-sticky-46937/)

Leeds_finest
Thursday 19th January 2012, 16:58
yeh i paid £50 but that was with a staff discount. PS my earlier info can't be right, they must be different to 850's as the wheel thread is different

this site is blocked on my work comp, but from the description think it'll help LINK (http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-10/s60-front-hub-axle-replacement-worthy-sticky-46937/)

That's great mate, i'll check that link.

So if it makes more noise when I throw it hard into a left hand bend, does that mean it's the right hand (drivers/offside) bearing?

Santa
Thursday 19th January 2012, 20:14
S60R's seem to be quite hard on the wheel bearings, I've had all mine replaced since 2008, 2 of them twice.

jardon
Thursday 19th January 2012, 23:17
That's great mate, i'll check that link.

So if it makes more noise when I throw it hard into a left hand bend, does that mean it's the right hand (drivers/offside) bearing?

Sounds correct. It may also make a metallic rattle that you'll hear if you drive alongside a wall that reflects the noise - both mine did in addition to the whirr/whine on turning at speed. OEM bearings are a bit of a lottery and for the work involved I'd recommend a genuine Volvo hub/bearing unit,

cookie
Friday 20th January 2012, 07:31
Sounds correct. It may also make a metallic rattle that you'll hear if you drive alongside a wall that reflects the noise - both mine did in addition to the whirr/whine on turning at speed. OEM bearings are a bit of a lottery and for the work involved I'd recommend a genuine Volvo hub/bearing unit,

Not that difficult, order new bolts (they are E heads - like opposite of torx socket) Scamtech do copies, they will last 6-12k if lucky, genuine are mega bucks, but are only ones available in this country that last.

they will be noisy (whiring/whining) for ages if they are genuine, and just be annoying , scan tech ones the inner race can crack, and then chew up ball bearings

you pays your money and takes your choice

LeeT5
Thursday 26th January 2012, 23:43
As a rule of thumb, wheel bearings that are faulty 'Drone' at speed which gets louder the faster you go.
Would be worth taking your wheel caps off and check that your hub bolts are tight. 35Nm or 50NM if the XC90 Type.