View Full Version : cv joint

lil_me
Tuesday 23rd August 2005, 18:20
anyone know how easy they are to change,

seen as i've just snapped o/s outer one

and volvo want £290 for a replacement driveshaft

fraz13
Tuesday 23rd August 2005, 22:29
A just had ma n/s cv joint replaced, also had wishbone bushes fitted and the total bill was £177

lil_me
Tuesday 23rd August 2005, 22:41
Was intending on tackling this one ourselves but its over £70 just for the CV joint without fitting, where did you get that done as seems a pretty good price

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 11:52
I am fairly sure the outer CVs were separate to the driveshaft. When I replaced the CV boot on the 850R - you need to remove a circlip inside the CV joint and then you can slip it off the splines on the end of the shaft. The boot doesnt fit over the top.
I suspect that removing the drive shaft bolt is the main issue - but I was lucky enough to have access to air tools at the time.
Defo use a new clip when putting it back on. I would recommend using OEM parts - I know they are more expensive but I think in the long run it will pay out.
Without a sturdy long bar - I wouldn't bother. Defo a 3 or 4 spanner rated job (on the Haynes scale), IMHO.

Worth giving Hamish a ring for a price on the joint.

fraz13
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 12:00
£70 is about right for the joint, thats what a was told mine cost, the Wishbone bushes and an Anti roll bar drop link were around £50 from Brown Bros in Glasgow

A had them fitted at a local garage to me just outside Glasgow

lil_me
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 13:55
Need the car on road ASAP so had to get one from Euro Car Parts, £78 inc the vat I think so not too bad then. Volvo will only sell driveshaft and CV joint complete, which they wanted £297 for :jaw: without fitting of course.

Its apart now, driveshaft nut came off very easily (with the trusty scaffy bar). New CV boot, grease, clips etc etc came in kit, Pete's reassembling now.

swordy21
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 14:26
I started to do mine the other week, but failed to get the lower ball joint clamp bolt undone, so gave up for the mo. now got 2 15mm sockets shaped like roses. I'll get onto it as soon as I get better quality tools and another can of WD40.

lil_me
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 16:05
All done and took about an hour after getting the part, bonus being the CV joint had actually fell off

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 16:20
Yes - I did forget to say - you need a ball joint separator (U shaped fork thing that you wack wit'hammer). Be careful - I managed to make a hole in the back of the brake disk backing plate when I got a bit excited. Never really had that much of a problem with the ball joint nut though. Replacing the boot at the same time is no bad thing either. You might as well whilst the CV joint is off!! It is a lot easier with 2 peeps - especially when lifting the strut out of the way.

swordy21
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 17:10
Yes - I did forget to say - you need a ball joint separator (U shaped fork thing that you wack wit'hammer). Be careful - I managed to make a hole in the back of the brake disk backing plate when I got a bit excited. Never really had that much of a problem with the ball joint nut though. Replacing the boot at the same time is no bad thing either. You might as well whilst the CV joint is off!! It is a lot easier with 2 peeps - especially when lifting the strut out of the way.

I got a ball joint splitter, but never got that far- god knows what torque the clamp bolt is done up to as it splayed my sockets wide open. Both went before I had a chance to get the breaker bar on it. Next time I have a go I am considering taking the wishbone off at the inner mounts, if I can get more leverage that way. The annoying thing is I've got 2 complete CV joint kits and a hub kit all with shiny new bolts just waiting to go on...........Need a full day with no wife and kids, some beer and mucho elastoplast.

lil_me
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 23:47
:B_rotfl: @ elastoplast, Pete got bitten by the car when he was under if figuring out what the DUNK noise was and why the car refused to move

Pleased I took the RAC cover out, but we were in a multi storey so he had to push it out of there as recovery wagons don't fit :slap:

I'm pleased its all sorted now, and next time I ring the Volvo dealer I will be shouting at them for trying to rip us off by saying had to replace shaft etc :troutslap

As for tools, we rely on Halfrauds tools, bought with trade card and they have life time warranty so if we snap them (happens a lot) we just take it back and they replace it. Not my fault they do this guarantee.

Would have offered to help with your car, but Berkshires a bit far, maybe a bit of heat might help persuade the bolt.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 25th August 2005, 10:04
Swordy,
If you ever need any help, just give me a shout - I have some fairly hefty forged hex sockets if you need a hand. I am more than happy to swear/sweat/bleed to ensure you can get it sorted. All part of the Ovlov.

swordy21
Thursday 25th August 2005, 10:57
Cheers both.....I think a can of WD40 and my bulging muscles will do to get the things off, after all got the hub nut off.........supposed to be about the tightest on the car.

Dave, I may very well give you a call, when I get back from hols, I would like to sort these CV joints before I put new tyres on and have it tracked so I only have to do it once. Oh and there's my ATF to change as well..

Cheers

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 25th August 2005, 11:17
Sounds like a weekend to me!! So long as there is beer involved at the end I will be happy enough

swordy21
Thursday 25th August 2005, 12:52
We've got a good little pub 5 mins walk from me, or 1 mins drive. Good food as well.

I'll have a look at my schedule and give you a bell,

Cheers