PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, Rust

glenns70
Tuesday 23rd August 2005, 11:28
Hello all,
The other day I was having a good look under my bonnet checking all the fluids etc and I noticed that there is quite a lot of rust towards the front of the inner wings?? Mainly just under the battery and around that area. The car is a 1998 Volvo S70 on an R reg so I suppose it's expected to see a bit of corrosion? Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this problem on theirs and should I just leave it or get the wire brush and rust treater out?

Any advise would be great.

Glenn :)

audimadmike
Tuesday 23rd August 2005, 11:49
I would treat it as it can only get worse and often what you see is not the whole picture! there may be more under the paint.
Its common to go here, I've only had two older Volvos and seen a few others, they all have some corrosion under the battery tray on the inner wing and main frame. On the 850 there are also a few earth connections that deteriate (possible spelling error!)
Generally though the cars are very well protected so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Mike

stuAWD
Tuesday 23rd August 2005, 19:02
Get it treated before it gets worse and deffo before winter, wire brush and rust treatment sounds about right, but make sure you remove any loose or flaking paint in the area. If its mainly round the battery tray, sounds like you might have had a battery acid spillage. Woudn't do any harm to wash off the the rest of the paint in the engine bay.
Hope you've caught early. Happy :B_steerin

glenns70
Tuesday 23rd August 2005, 19:35
Thanks for the replies, think it will be a job for this weekend all being well. I have had a good poke around and it seems to be solid still so hope rust treater will slow the corrosion down.
Just my luck to have a rusty Volvo :slap: