PDA

View Full Version : What size battery?

Brighty123
Saturday 14th January 2012, 18:31
Hi guys

My 98 V70 T5 was a non starter this afternoon, it was trying but sounded like the battery didn't have enough oomph. Hasn't been run since Mon and started fine when i started her up on Thurs night after clearing an engine light code, it has been damn cold since too, still covered in frost at 2pm this afternoon. Don't know how old the battery is as i've only had the car since July but i'm assuming that is the problem, it has a halfords job in at the mo. I've got the battery on charge but am just googling for a replacement which has got me confused, the few websites i've looked at suggest a 027 battery for this car but the one i've just taken out is a 096? What is the difference and what should it have in? Also while i'm on, what's the best brand of battery to go for, obviously don't want to spend too much but want a gooden, buy cheap, buy twice and all that.

Cheers

Brighty

LeeT5
Friday 27th January 2012, 01:05
Hi. I'm an AA patrol, so i know all about battery types and fitting to vehicles.
The oe battery as you said is an 027. This will be fine with a (EN) 540 amps. However, if you plan to keep the car then get yourself down to Euro Car Parts and buy a 5 year warranty Bosch Silver star (Calcium) 096 equivalent with at whopping (EN)750 amps!! Will fit perfectly in your battery tray too. I paid £84 with discount of course but you will pay lass than halfords charge for an 096 with a 4 year warranty. Thats what i got on my V70R and it cranks really fast now.

good luck.

(don't forget to make sure you check your charging rate is between 13.5 - 14.5v.)

Brighty123
Sunday 29th January 2012, 23:31
Cheers for the reply, forgot all about this post, sorted now.

I'd googled the difference between the 027 and 096 and had decided to go for the higher amp 096. Charged the battery overnight and refitted in the morning, car started reluctantly so i took it for a nice spin ending at halfords as i needed to pick up a fuse for the wifes car. While i was there i got the fella who was fitting someones wipers to test the battery and he confirmed it was knacked. Got back in my car to take it home and shop around online but she was completely dead. Suppose i could of looked a prat and tried to get someone to give me a jump start but just bit the bullet and paid halfords price for a new one and fitted it there and then. I got a bosch silver 096 with 5 year warranty, cost me £126 which hurt as i knew i could get it for much less online, but at least it was all sorted. Been fine and dandy since.

Cheers

Brighty