PDA

View Full Version : Pathetic demister flow

MobyUK
Friday 13th January 2012, 12:36
Hi folks. I'm having problems with windscreen demisting on my V70 P1. The air flow even with the fan on full seems very low and takes for ever to clear the screen.
Is there a filter in line with it that might be blocked perhaps?

M-R-P
Friday 13th January 2012, 12:43
Does it blow well from other vents? Have you checked the polen filter?

smithson007
Friday 13th January 2012, 13:15
Sounds like a blocked pollen filter.

MobyUK
Friday 13th January 2012, 13:59
It's just as bad from the other vents Martin.

At the risk of sounding thick, where do I find the pollen filter?

Al115
Friday 13th January 2012, 14:15
It's under the scuttle panel on the near side - outside, at the base of the windscreen - if I remember correctly. Have to remove a couple of torx bolts I think.

MobyUK
Friday 13th January 2012, 14:32
Many thanks for the help.

MobyUK
Friday 13th January 2012, 17:19
Oh well. Nothing goes as planned. My car doesn't have a pollen filter.
Any idea what else is likely to reduce the airflow?

Al115
Friday 13th January 2012, 17:25
I thought they all had one? Has it been removed? Worth fitting one if so.

Won't solve the low flow issue though.

Are you using setting the aircon "ON" to demist (as it dehumidifies the air)?

MobyUK
Saturday 14th January 2012, 13:12
No, it hasn't been removed. There's just nothing to fit it in. Maybe the '97 P1 is different.....there are other things about the car that don't tie up with the general P1 spec.

Actually, if I'm on aircon, sometimes the situation is worse as it seems to blow more condensation. Not so bad if I set the heat to cold.

LiamT4
Saturday 14th January 2012, 13:18
If theres no filter, then that could explain why its not pushing much air through, as because theres nothing to filter the crap out its blocked up the sytem.

Is there any difference when you press the recirculate button? Do this when its quiet and you should be able to hear a slight noise as the system goes from normal to recir and then again when you change back.

smithson007
Saturday 14th January 2012, 18:18
I think some of the earlier p1's didnt have pollen filters. Just from what i was told when i bought service parts for my old V70.

MobyUK
Thursday 26th January 2012, 20:41
And mine is an early one so it probably explains it.

Yes Liam, it completely changes noise. Quite loud actually when it's on re-circulation.

LeeT5
Friday 27th January 2012, 00:28
And mine is an early one so it probably explains it.

Yes Liam, it completely changes noise. Quite loud actually when it's on re-circulation.

...then your recirculation system is operating correctly. Pollen filters were normally only fitted to cars with A/C or ECC. This is to protect condenser. However, you can purchase an adaptor and filter from Volvo for not alot of money.

Regards the misting up of your windows. Do the following:

Clean your windows inside with a lint free cloth (microfibre is best) and some proper windscreen glass cleaner. Once clean and dry take you car to Kwik fit or another garage and (assuming you have A/C) have them vac and re charge your Airconditioning. A dirty windscreen is very hard for the car to clear as it traps moisture.

check the operation of your vent controller. Make sure it is moving the vents duct valves by listening with the engine off/ ignition on.

report back...

LeeT5
Friday 27th January 2012, 00:52
Actually, if I'm on aircon, sometimes the situation is worse as it seems to blow more condensation. Not so bad if I set the heat to cold.
our condendore
thats because your condenser is not properly drying out. Its trapping moisture and condensation hense why your winscreen mists up when you first turn it on.

The way to prevent this is in the last mile of your journey, turn the A/C off and turn blower speen to max. This will help dry out your condenser at he end of your journey, thus drier air will be blown out on the next journey.

Works for me.