PDA

View Full Version : Engine light code?

Brighty123
Friday 13th January 2012, 11:20
Hi guys.

Need help with an engine management light code on my T5 please.

Car is a ‘98 V70 T5 Auto, which I bought in July as a 2nd car to my diesel commuter, for weekend larks and lugging the family about.

Got it MOT’d just before xmas, which was gonna be the keep it or not decider, it passed with a few new bulbs and a couple of advisories, tracking rod end play and weeping power steering fluid, which I will sort once this little conundrum is sorted. As we were doing the paperwork, the fella said that the cat had a bit of a rattle and did I know the engine lamba light was on, it wasn’t on before the mot so must have come on during.

Ordered a code reader which came yesterday, read and cleared code P0101 last night, which is maf sensor something or other. Not been out in it yet to see if the light comes back, but will take it for a spin tomorrow. As it is a 2nd car, it doesn’t get driven much and I’ve never had a T5 or any kind of quick petrol car before to compare it to, but I think it has lost a bit of power since the mot, but not 100% sure, could just be me though.

So, if the light comes back, what do I start looking at as the cause? Could the rattly cat have a bit loose inside that is partially blocking it? Would the mot bloke have given it a shake to have spotted the rattle, could that have made something come loose inside? Would that cause a P0101 and my alegid loss of power? How much am I looking at for a new cat?

Please bear in mind that I’m not mechanically minded when it comes to cars and have never done any work on them before, but hope to use this car to learn to service etc myself.

Cheers

Brighty

Al115
Friday 13th January 2012, 15:34
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0101

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem

Probably caused by the MAF sensor failing. Common on these cars.

Nothing to do with the cat.

PHIL V70R
Friday 13th January 2012, 17:20
replace it mate just done mine again £29 posted...volvo part £200+vat..