PDA

View Full Version : Catastrophic Engine/turbo failure

Niles
Thursday 12th January 2012, 23:09
OK, sadly, here I go. had a 19T compressor housing and the compressor wheel (brand new). Took the 16T off. Put the 19T compressor and the wheel on (used a good 16T centre core and exhaust housing).
Built the turbo up very carefully, everything worked as it should. Bolted on. Took it down the road. Very strange noise from the turbo. Tippy toe'd my car back to the workshop. Took the intake pipe off and the compressor wheel was easy to spin with 1 finger. No problem. Checked everything. No problems.
Took the car back out. Drove up to the A2. Drove down it. Squeezed the accelerator. Strange noise still there....hmmmmmmm 'what the hell is that?' (other than absolutely NO boost). Drove on BANG!!! TONS AND TONS of smoke from the car. Pulled off the A2 1 mile later and went back to the workshop. The tailgate and rear screen were COVERED in oil.

Pulled the turbo off.

Exhaust turbine??!! Missing??!! GONE!!!!!

Turbo centre shaft snapped. Had a look at the turbo and the compressor wheel had locked up on the 'alleged' 19T housing. Turbo had locked up under positive Pressure.

Removed the downpipe and out rolled the exhaust wheel.
Pipe was dripping with oil. Engine lost appx 3 litres of oil (exited the oil system via the turbo straight into the inlet system).
Exhaust tip was dripping oil.
Threw the turbo across the workshop and put a good (known working order turbo back on.
Now.......still S#it loads of smoke (white/grey) and a tap tap tap.

Suspected......Head gasket failure, and....bent rod. And, entire intake system needs totally cleaning of oil (and theres LOADS of it), exhaust and downpipe needs de'oiling. Spark plugs are covered. Lambda sensor very oily.

WARNING!!!!!>>>>> DO NOT BUT A 19T turbo from Kinugawa turbo on ebay.
Had the compressor checked and the housing wasn't machined to accept the wheel. (shed load of score marks on the wheel and housing). (destroyed the wheel too).

Seller states theres nothing wrong and swears the housing was machined. Score marks are evidence thats rubbish.

To say I'm angry with.........
Kinugawa Turbo (ebay) (Japanese turbo people) is a major understatement. Car will now be off road until further notice.

To busy with work to pay major attention to my poorly baby.
Late Monday will see the exhaust/intake strip/clean and a further diagnosis.
Compression test sometime tomorrow to see if its a bent rod or a tappet just starved of oil and hopefully its a tappet so a good flush and fresh oil will shut that up.

All I want to say is....durygbveiugv jkfh kuefh bhfsei nadj alfjvncm.

(That's Martian for a lot of swear words).

FFS!!!!!!!

The Flying Moose
Thursday 12th January 2012, 23:14
Very sorry to hear about your incident, hopefully worst case is as you say... tappet or lifter.

dalhousie2008
Thursday 12th January 2012, 23:20
Glad you put that post on niles, was ordering one of those, very sorry to hear the news buddy. Have you got a spare engine if rods are gone?

M-R-P
Thursday 12th January 2012, 23:22
Wow, thats pretty nasty luck. Hope the damage is minimal.

Robs-P2-v70t5
Thursday 12th January 2012, 23:23
one like this ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290651772642?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

if so that will be coming out of my watch list!

you must be really gutted and i understand fully why your livid. hope the rebuild goes well for you without to much internal damage, fingers crossed for ya that its just a tappet.

tattoo101
Thursday 12th January 2012, 23:26
sorry to here that buddy. can you not claim anything from the ebay turbo dudes?
hope you can get back on the road soon

Niles
Thursday 12th January 2012, 23:34
Glad you put that post on niles, was ordering one of those, very sorry to hear the news buddy. Have you got a spare engine if rods are gone?

no spare good engine. BUT...... just rang a mate. hes got spare rods and tappets/lifters. If it is that he's coming over mid week and both of us cracking on on it can take its head off, sump off, switch the rod and gasket same day. I know my stem seals a very tired so bonus, they'll get done too.

Kingsford G
Thursday 12th January 2012, 23:36
Sorry to hear that mate.I hope it is a tappet and the compression is good.

Niles
Thursday 12th January 2012, 23:36
sorry to here that buddy. can you not claim anything from the ebay turbo dudes?
hope you can get back on the road soon

they said they will only refund the money if I send it back and they see its never been used/fitted!!!!!! How the f can you tell its not a proper job unless its fitted???!!!
The turbo when it was built up was spinning freely. Only under positive pressure it would lock up. (hence the funny whine noise).

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 12th January 2012, 23:37
Hopefully if it is just the exhaust housing that has disintergrated then the inlet side of things may be OK. I'm hoping any water cooling that has just mixed with the oil on the sump side of things.. quick change of the oil make fix this..

Niles
one like this ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290651772642?sspagename=strk:mewax:it&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

if so that will be coming out of my watch list!

You must be really gutted and i understand fully why your livid. Hope the rebuild goes well for you without to much internal damage, fingers crossed for ya that its just a tappet.

yes. Thats it

daza-b
if you need any help with anything let me know bud...im guessing your miles away from me??

mitchyboy01
Friday 13th January 2012, 00:00
Not good mate, not a good day for volvos in our neck of the woods. I know you will have it sorted in no time though. Good luck.

t5_monkey
Friday 13th January 2012, 00:09
Damn sorry to hear that dude.

Ebay... tuning... always made me a little nervous.

siamblue
Friday 13th January 2012, 01:04
Sorry to hear that Niles, did you not get the turbo balanced before you fitted it all back together? these things spin at ridicouless rpm's. also you would've needed a 19t map as well.

Gary.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 13th January 2012, 01:20
Sorry to hear of your woes. It is never nice when things go badly wrong with tuning/ mods. Been there too many times.

I hope everythiing is sorted soon.

glock19
Friday 13th January 2012, 01:20
Nils, gutted for me mate :(
I just made an enquiry for the 19T wheel, housing and the works last night albeit from a different supplier (Jap too) so this'll be a caution for me too. You did not however, mention if you machined your CHRA to accept the bigger compressor wheel. No doubt there is not rotation play, was there any lateral movement ? The lateral movement will shift the wheel towards the compressor housing under load and jam up the compressor wheel.

Your 16T has a straight flange or an angled one ? I think both of these CHRA are slightly different (do correct me) and the parts might be sent wrongly. The wrong parts could give the above lateral movement

I want a T5
Friday 13th January 2012, 04:24
Thats a real bummer dude........tell me about it tomorow morning!

wegal
Friday 13th January 2012, 10:17
Damn mate that sucks big time. Like everyone else I hope that the damage is minimal.

Im not all that clued up but I dont understand how it can bend a rod with a jammed up turbo, always thought bent rods came from over boost. Can the turbo bits get inside the engine block ?

Scary thought that one is :-(

Hope you get it sorted quickly and cheaply.

mitchyboy01
Friday 13th January 2012, 10:28
Sorry to hear that Niles, did you not get the turbo balanced before you fitted it all back together? these things spin at ridicouless rpm's. also you would've needed a 19t map as well.

Gary.

Yes I thought they had to be balanced as they have such small tolerences? Maybe if it wasn't balanced properly this could lead to failure?

Nealevo
Friday 13th January 2012, 11:21
Niles, gutted for you, i was tempted by these myself a while ago. if it helps i have a decatted downpipe from my R with no oil in. free to you just postage.

t5steve
Friday 13th January 2012, 15:35
bummer...........hope you get it sorted mate

Volvostorm
Friday 13th January 2012, 19:04
Really sorry to hear this, I hope the engine is not as badly damaged as it first appears.

woz
Friday 13th January 2012, 19:50
SORRY to hear it mate. You are known for being one of the helpful ones - youve helped me out before. Hope you get it sorted. Could bits have made their way ointo the engine??Would have thought they would have got stuck on route - in the intercooler etc.
But maybe theres a bit of turbo bouncing up and down in a cylinder somewhere?
Hope not.
Good luck with it.
W

rikcougar
Friday 13th January 2012, 19:54
Sorry to hear Niles, I know how fastidious you are with your car, I`ve read enough of your threads! I am sure you will have it sorted soon

Niles
Friday 13th January 2012, 22:31
ok. update.........

Did a pressure test on the compression this morning. All cylinders are ok other that cylinder 2.
1, 174 psi.
2, 145 psi
3, 178 psi
4, 178 psi
5, 189 psi

And bonus time!!!!!...... Started the car this moning and NO tap tap tap. 100% the engine has no bent rod!! Yippee!!!!!

Got given by a mate a spare cylinder head.

Spoke to a few mates with my ideas.

Cylinder 5 is high compression (we think) is due to a little oil in the cylinder.

All the sparks plugs were perfect other that cylinder 5 (bit oily plug).

Cylinder 2 is a bit down on compression BUT....for ages I thought that cylinder 2 had a dodgy tappet/lifter, strong chance its down due to crap in the cylinder on the valve seat or just simply a dicky tappet.
Car starts and idles smooth. No nasty noises but still LOADS of smoke from the exhaust.

Getting the head on Monday. Strip it down, steam clean it. Knife edge the intake ports. flow the rest of the head. Treat it to a valve regrind. Fit new stem seals and all new seals.

Do a quick visual & oil seep test on the pistons to check the rings. when the head comes off we'll fit the new 1 as it has very good chance the gasket is popped.

Relieved the spare turbo I fitted is OK but need a cheap rebuild kit (anyone got 1 they don't need or will flog me super cheap?) and definitely NO bent rod/rods.
Intake system will be cleaned and the exhaust side too.

Should be done by Friday and should run like a dream when its done.

Anyone got a genuine Volvo head gasket going cheap? (JUST the gasket, got all the other bits required for a head swap) Bloody skint at the moment and REALLY don't need even the smallest expense.

When I get cracking on this I'll take loads of pictures and share them with you lot.

Thanks you all for your concern.

In case you missed it. I need a cheap td04 rebuild kit and a genuine Volvo head gasket. (not a whole head kit, just the gasket).

Volvostorm
Friday 13th January 2012, 23:34
That is a piece of luck, sorry I can't help you with any of your needed bits.

I want a T5
Saturday 14th January 2012, 05:46
Did you try the comp test hot or cold? Maybe worth dropping a little oil in cylinders 1-4 and seeing if the readings equalise before to strip the old head off.

Niles
Saturday 14th January 2012, 11:47
Did you try the comp test hot or cold? Maybe worth dropping a little oil in cylinders 1-4 and seeing if the readings equalise before to strip the old head off.

cold mark. Couldn't run the engine up to warm as it throws so much fog out of the exhaust id have upset the rest of the workshop neighbours. I'll do it again on Monday and warm it up.
It was a very quick test as I was busy the rest of the day with a very nice Silver V70. :daisy:

martybelfastt5
Saturday 14th January 2012, 12:52
fingers crossed niles,,

Porcine_Aviator
Saturday 14th January 2012, 14:14
Sorry to hear the news.

Alan M
Saturday 14th January 2012, 23:20
Sorry to hear of the problems but the company you bought the parts from has supplied me with parts that were very good quality. These turbos do need balancing though if you change parts and if they are not cleaned properly and torqued properly you will have problems. The housings they offer are CAD or similar profiled then CNC machined so should be okay for use with a well assembled unit. I even think the turbo that Woody on here runs is the one I built and had balanced and that may have been parts from the supplier you used but I machined the housing myself and he has had some great results with that turbo.

Jim S70R
Sunday 15th January 2012, 09:41
Ouch sorry to hear about your engine Niles and she was a fast one too!! Thats good news it's not a bent rod!! Hope you get it sorted soon buddy.

AndysR
Sunday 15th January 2012, 09:48
As I said previously really bad news, hope all goes well with the head swap as it would be a shame if the lower engine was damaged as it is such a good one. Still looks like you've found yourself a good excuse to sort the valve stem oil seals out and some fine fettling upgrades at the same time :)

Niles
Sunday 15th January 2012, 10:12
quite honestly guys im not that worried. A major inconvenience and certainly a VERY inconvenient financial issue. really don't need it right now. Times were very tough in December, this month is ok but still catching up with stuff.
It will be sorted by this time next week.

The turbo thats on the car is ok. Still very sad that the 19T is well and truly 'on the shelf' until a new 1 turns up (from the seller). I've built up many turbos and never had a problem. Now, my nerves are raw and when the new bits arrive I'm not going to do it.

shrekblackR
Sunday 15th January 2012, 11:15
sh#t dude hope you get sorted pal ,,,,,,i know you will have a great car soon anything i can do just ring buddy

dalhousie2008
Monday 16th January 2012, 20:06
How's the repair going?

Al115
Monday 16th January 2012, 20:15
Good luck with it mate.

Niles
Monday 16th January 2012, 20:48
How's the repair going?

ok thanks. Its a major case of pull off the inlet side of pipes. Clean them. Clean inlet manifold. Swap the ICV as its easier to swap than clean. Flush the intercooler. I'm going to be anal and take the down pipe and exhaust off and clean them too. I'm still going to burn rubbish off after the clean but a lot less. Honestly guys I WOULD be pulled and done for driving it!!!!
I was busy today with a customers ABS woe's. FIXED his.
Cleaning day is tomorrow. should easily be done in a day. Oil will be dropped. Got some thin flushing oil, put that in, run it up, drop it then refill with nice new 10-40.
I got a K&N high flow oil filter from the bay of flea. Really sure I wont notice any difference but I'm assured by a mate whos used them before that they DO allow better oil circulation.
Quite honestly, how you'd know I've no idea.

JeanPete
Thursday 5th April 2012, 22:36
Hello,

Sorry to read this sad story.

Last Summer, I bought at Kinugawa an angled housing for my genuine straight 16T/6 (16T/6 to 16T/7). Then a home-made downpipe based on 3" OBX DP (angled one) was fitted.
I made about 3000 km since this installation. The turbocharger is more noisy, but maybe it's the stainless sound.

Do you think I must tell my mechanic to check it ? (I can only add that the door lever (which is opened/closed by WG) is quite hard to move, as it was internally rusted. I had to adjust WG pressure (finally at genuine 0,12 bar) and had to look several times in this area, so I oiled it several times, but each time the lever was hard to move.)

Thanking you in anticipation, Gentlemen.

merc85
Thursday 5th April 2012, 23:38
holy post resurection

JeanPete
Thursday 5th April 2012, 23:41
Sorry for reviving bad memories. :o

merc85
Thursday 5th April 2012, 23:44
Sorry for reviving bad memories. :o

Not at all, Niles sorted this issue a while back i belive

Little Rascal
Sunday 10th November 2013, 13:22
Hi all, The resurection of this topic continue... Woohoo!

I am far from having a race car, nor a volvo... I like the Volvo tho :)
I am driving a Mitsubishi Delica... But I like to share my story as this could help others as well.
I only read positive reviews before getting a Kinugawa KAMAC turbo, then once I got into troubles with it, I started to find some negatives reviews... But too late...
Now, its a long post, and a first post, do not take it as negative, but more like a little warning on what can happen with the Taiwanese turbo as if I had read some of your post here about those failure I wouldn't have got one...
Cheers
Now, the long post, get the popcorn or the haggis

Kinugawa Turbo made by KAMAK DYNAMICS review, catastrophic failure, turbo seal failed and near runaway
engine and No guaranty...

Here is a bad story and this is to warn you about my bad experience with those Chinese Turbos.
I nearly lost an engine, certainly lost money and a lot of time...
First they are not made in Japan, and I doubt that the bearing that is suppose to be made in Japan is really made in Japan either...
Its a Taiwanese made and not Japanese as the Advert says this is were they are based on ebay...

Now, all started when I wanted more power, then decided to go for a larger Turbo, the Kinugawa looking good and keen on price. I read some good reviews about them, then decided to take the plunge and bought one.
Got a special price at 300 pounds for the complete turbo shipped to Scotland.

The Turbo arrive and was bolted in.
More power indeed, you can feel it right away. I was delighted, but not for long... Not long at all...

After a long trip, on my way back, luckily just when I was near home, the Turbo started to wine a little louder? I didn't thought much about it as I barelly did 1500 miles with it on the Delica.

The next day I went for a spin and about 5 miles from where I started, at 20Mph, BANG! A loud noise, load of smoke, no power... EEK!
I stopped the deli ( I was very lucky there) and look under the hood, take the air intake out and the turbo at the front was ****ing engine oil, this was also going into the manifold... Not good as I nearly had a runaway engine!
The white smoke was engine oil going into the exhaust...
The turbo wheels was totally destroyed, the axle broken and the seal non existent as oil was pouring everywhere...

Home I took the turbo out, and put back the old Mitsubishi one, that has been there for 100,000 miles and was / is still going strong...

Now that was bad, really bad... But it get worse with Kinugawa kamak not accepting any liability there...
Kinugawa were a guaranty, well, is no guaranty...

Sachiko, the person I was talking to from Kinugawa kamak, started to tell me that something must have gone into the Turbo... Or that I turn the turbo housing to accommodate the fitting and that cause a total collapse( I get back to that later too) ... Or that my settings must be wrong and so on...
To that I replied that the old Mit turbo is still going strong, still in good shape, and all on the same settings...
Nothing would move Sachiko, it wasn't their reliable Turbos... Yeh, right...

I send him the Turbo back to Taiwan and Sachiko said he'll make a rebuild for me, need a new CHRA as the other was totally gone ( Like I wasn't aware of that) , and to fix it, Sachiko told me this would cost me 120 pounds... :deadhorse
I already paid 50 pounds to ship it back to Taiwan...

Then here we are, 300 + 50 + 120... Total of 470, a near runaway engine and huge amount of time and effort tinkering with the on and off turbo replacement...

I got the rebuild Turbo a while later. Now, the front wheel housing was on the wrong place, facing left when the Turbo was in instead of facing upward... I told Sachiko about this, to that he replied:
You can gently turn the wheel as we usually accommodate when customers want for their car??? He new it was for a Delica, he knew the intake should be facing upward, not sideways...The mind boggle here too as I was told on Turbo number one that if I moved the wheel, it was a reason for a failure, but now was told I can do it... Humm...

I put the turbo in, all oiled , let it idle for a bit, then stop the engine, all was good. I was back on track. Not for long... Not at all...

I drove to a shop nicely, town driving, no traffic, took me about 10 minutes.
From there I went to Mit dealer which was another 15 minutes away, there I had few burst to test the turbo, it wasn't spooling too fast I thought but hey, it was spooling...
At Mit, the car was idled and started to smoke, unusual, I thought it might be some oil that went into the exhaust?
From there a wee spin on the Highway see how it goes then 20 minutes later I stopped and the car and shock... It was smoking like hell... Again...
A guy stopped there telling me its the turbo seal, to that I replied, I just put the new turbo in now...
Went home blinding every one behind me with the smoke, took the turbo off and it was all wet with engine oil took the clip out, full of engine oil...

Now I am , again, back with the old Mit Turbo that is still going strong...

Sachiko from Kinugawa Kamak Dynamic sound like a broken record, this is not his turbo fault, this is my oil fed that are blocked, or something wrong with my settings and so on, he refuse to acknowledge the truth and that the old Mitsubishi Turbo is still going strong on the same car, same settings...

Kinugawa turbos from KAMAK are a total failure.
Kinugawa, when a guaranty is not a guaranty

claymore
Sunday 10th November 2013, 14:24
Sounds to me like you don't know what your doing,

Harvey
Sunday 10th November 2013, 15:00
Sounds to me like you don't know what your doing,

Sounds like it was fitted but not set up to the car,also sounds like they are not the best turbos in the world, but you do get what you pay for with turbos.

claymore
Sunday 10th November 2013, 15:08
Sounds like it was fitted but not set up to the car,also sounds like they are not the best turbos in the world, but you do get what you pay for with turbos.
Problem is usually related to oil flow, usually to much, you have to use the correct reducer in the oil system, clocking the turbo will have no ill effect as long as it's done properly.

Little Rascal
Sunday 10th November 2013, 15:52
Hi Claymore, just to say, this turbo was / is sold specially for my car, bolt and play. Here is the Advert:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kinugawa-Turbocharger-4M40T-2-8L-Pajero-Delica-TD04L-15T-5-add-50-Torque-/110855605754?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19cf824dfa
Made and sold for the 2.8 turbo 4M40T Engine... Sadly one lasted 1500 miles and the other not an afternoon...
Mind you this is a diesel, there is a lot less "things on how to do it" compare to a petrol car. 2 Different beast.
I made this post as after number 2 failure I started to search Kinugawa with more words like seal/ failure and so on... Then this open a different view then the usual "review" you get when you google it...
There are few, not only me , that had failure right away but again, google do not show that first... :(
One could wonder what contribution some marketers give to google to get some posts on the next page...

:hug:

claymore
Sunday 10th November 2013, 16:09
I can only go on my experience, I usually use Chinese turbos, usually less well known than Kinugawa, and have never had a failure. I will say one thing, that seems a very expensive turbo for a jap turbo, I don't usually pay more than £200 for mine.having said that, I generally replace them on a yearly basis.

Little Rascal
Sunday 10th November 2013, 16:18
I generally replace them on a yearly basis.

Better then every 3 weeks or every afternoon :shockedbi LOL :)

mike 850
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:35
I have a kingawa compressor and housing, 1st one went pop because the turbine wheel was normal thread and I didn't tighten it enough and it unwound itself. got a reverse threaded turbine wheel and new compressor wheel, did it properly and alls good 6 months on so from my experience it was user error...

p fandango
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:37
I have a kingawa compressor and housing, 1st one went pop because the turbine wheel was normal thread and I didn't tighten it enough and it unwound itself. got a reverse threaded turbine wheel and new compressor wheel, did it properly and alls good 6 months on so from my experience it was user error...
the td04's fitted onto Mitsi evo's etc use the normal righthand thread, Volvo/Saab td04's use the reverse thread

mike 850
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:39
apparently (well mine did) some early 15g had righthand thread too

Little Rascal
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 20:26
Hi Mike,

The thing is that the turbo sold by Kinugawa is specific for my engine, all is in order for that engine...
see ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kinugawa-Turbocharger-4M40T-2-8L-Pajero-Delica-TD04L-15T-5-add-50-Torque-/110855605754?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19cf824dfa
There is no tweak ot torque needed, its bolt and play...
Then this is no user error there. It would be like saying you lost a wheel as the bolts weren't tight enough after you bought your car brand new, but as you didn't look at it its the user fault...
also 2 went... One lasted 1500 miles, the other was bad right away, fresh from the factory...
I do agree tho, there are some that seems to handle OK, not sure for how long tho... But there are also some that failed rapidly... And again, no guaranty as I learned the hard way...

claymore
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 20:31
It is recommended that you replace all oil pipes when fitting a new turbo, also you are supposed to prime the turbos, did you turn the engine over for a minute without starting it to prime the turbo, I'm sure you wouldn't have changed the oil pipes, although I did on both occasions on mine, but that was because I needed different pipes, had my pipes fitted I wouldn't have changed them, but I always do prime them.

Little Rascal
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 21:45
I oiled the turbo prior starting. It was not started dry, it was loaded.
I started the engine and let it idle, the pressure is instant, all gallery get oiled right away, if not all engine would failed... Then there is no need to crank the engine for a minute without firing it.
Again its made for the car, bolt in, no need to change anything. Its not much of an upgrade, its just an upgrade. Not anything like your with fire coming out the exhaust.
I think they are just regular stock Evo/ Subarru type, but its a diesel, the turbo do not spool as fast as the petrol, the engine go on the red when rev at 5000...

claymore
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 22:03
This is what Garrett say you should do when fitting one of there turbos, I would say it is even more important on a Chinese turbo.

http://garrettbyhoneywell.com/turbo-fundamentals/turbo-installation/

Little Rascal
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 22:13
Cheers.
But again, I did most, beside changing the oil and oil filter nor air filter..
Th oil sump was clean about 2 month ago when the rear crankshaft seal had to be changed...
The oil and filter was also changed between turbo one and 2.
I think Gareth state this as to cover any debris that would go on the oil fed lines, but strangely the old Mit Turbo is not affected at all...
Anyway, after all this why would number two failed right away... Didn't had time to go far...
And again, the same day I put the old Mitsubishi back, same oil, oil filter , air filter and so on and its still going strong 100s of miles later...
Its not that something went wrong on my side, or my engine, if not I'll be burning the old Mitsubishi Turbos every single day, its the Chinese Kinugawa from KAMAC that are not good at all.
But hey, if you like to try one those its fine, just be aware of what can happen and that you will never get any money back on those... My two pence.

Little Rascal
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 22:20
To quote Gareth:
Correctly installed turbos make significant contributions to performance, fuel efficiency and emissions control, but incorrect fitting can have serious, potentially harmful consequences, including ECU conflict and major engine damage.

Those precautions are more related to engine failure, not a catastrophic failure like the kinugawa...
The engine is still OK as well as the Mitsubishi turbo

I wonder what the OP would have to say about the kinugawa... Must be his fault too ;)

Little Rascal
Thursday 14th November 2013, 16:35
Look like someone got a bad one right away, for a volvo too...Negative from ebay:
This product was defective!! Need replacement or refund ASAP!!! Buyer:
Turbocharger VOLVO S70 850 V70 TD04HL-19T-6 11 Blades Turbine wheel spool Faster (#110855605751)

mike 850
Thursday 14th November 2013, 16:57
I really would like to know what actually failed because a turbo is a surprisingly simple thing, if it the the wheel that broke purely from the pressure then yes you could say it was cheap crap but if the wheel touched the housing and destructed, why? was it balanced properly? the turbine shaft is thin and easily bent when undoing and tightening, maybe this was a factor?
The way I look at it is the housing and compressor wheel kits (as long as it doesn't fall apart) should last a very very long time, I would definitely be more wary of the cheaper bearings etc.

M-R-P
Thursday 14th November 2013, 17:03
Who is Gareth?

Little Rascal
Thursday 14th November 2013, 17:28
Who is Gareth?

Funny... Who knows? Might be Garrett? ;)

Little Rascal
Thursday 14th November 2013, 17:30
I have no idea on number one, as it was totally destroyed inside... Shaft, wheel etc...
Number 2 is the seal and the bearing. Seal pouring engine oil into the exhaust and there is a play on the shaft...

claymore
Thursday 14th November 2013, 17:43
Number two sounds like too much oil pressure, did you put a restrictor in?

Little Rascal
Thursday 14th November 2013, 18:23
Hi Claymore,
I am sounding like a broken record here... The Turbo is made for the car bolt in...
If there is a need for a restrictor, it should come with it.
There are others that has the same, one quoted the number two CHRA they send me failed right away.
The OP had the same experience, blown turbo right away... See first post.
This is just badly made turbos, don't take the good advertising/ spinning as do a search on kinugawa bad, failure and so on and you'll get a different picture..
If number 2 was the oil, then what was number one? And what was it with the OP?
I think you are trying to make them look OK as a turbo company looking for excuses as I keep saying the same over and over... And again the Garrett link ( not our friend Gareth) you send was for "in case of engine failure" not Turbo failure... A turbo should not fail after 10 minutes at low speed... Nor after 1500 miles on a 124 hp car as they look like the same that are bolted on 300+hp cars...
Cheers.

Harvey
Thursday 14th November 2013, 18:33
O
Hi Claymore,
I am sounding like a broken record here... The Turbo is made for the car bolt in...
If there is a need for a restrictor, it should come with it.
There are others that has the same, one quoted the number two CHRA they send me failed right away.
The OP had the same experience, blown turbo right away... See first postI
This is just badly made turbos, don't take the good advertising/ spinning as do a search on kinugawa bad, failure and so on and you'll get a different picture..
If number 2 was the oil, then what was number one? And what was it with the OP?
I think you are trying to make them look OK as a turbo company looking for excuses as I keep saying the same over and over... And again the Garrett link ( not our friend Gareth) you send was for "in case of engine failure" not Turbo failure... A turbo should not fail after 10 minutes at low speed... Nor after 1500 miles on a 124 hp car as they look like the same that are bolted on 300+hp cars...
Cheers.

So just what are you wanting us to say ?.
Because that won't fix it or the problem of getting it sorted with the seller ,sorry to say.

claymore
Thursday 14th November 2013, 18:49
All I'm saying is even though the turbo was for your car you can't just bolt it on, the first Chinese turbo I used was a direct replacement for a Nissan 200sx (the fact that I put it on a Volvo is irrelevant) the original Nissan turbo like our Volvo turbos has an oil restrictor built into them, the Chinese turbos do not have them, some come with a restrictor in the fitting kit most don't. so if you didn't fit a restrictor into the oil pipe, then your turbo will fail within minutes because they get to much pressure and blow the seals out. I'm not trying to defend Chinese turbos, but I would say that 90% of failures are caused by poor fitting or abuse. I'm sorry you've had so much bad luck with yours, I'm in no way having a dig at you, I'm just trying to put the other side of the argument across.

JeanPete
Thursday 14th November 2013, 21:46
Thanks Little Rascal for warning and reporting bad experience with Chinese turbos.
A member on our French forums only ran 360 km with a brand new Arashi 19T, before it exploded as he was calmly driving. So he put his old genuine 18T with over 150.000 km, in his 400.000 km Track Car (855 T5) and it ran perfectly. I mean, he isn't a novice, he's currently completely rebuilding his motor (forged rods, pistons, modded ECU...), main part of 150.000 km made with 18T were on track...

Little Rascal
Thursday 14th November 2013, 22:58
All I'm saying is even though the turbo was for your car you can't just bolt it on, the first Chinese turbo I used was a direct replacement for a Nissan 200sx (the fact that I put it on a Volvo is irrelevant) the original Nissan turbo like our Volvo turbos has an oil restrictor built into them, the Chinese turbos do not have them, some come with a restrictor in the fitting kit most don't. so if you didn't fit a restrictor into the oil pipe, then your turbo will fail within minutes because they get to much pressure and blow the seals out. I'm not trying to defend Chinese turbos, but I would say that 90% of failures are caused by poor fitting or abuse. I'm sorry you've had so much bad luck with yours, I'm in no way having a dig at you, I'm just trying to put the other side of the argument across.

Cheers, but you forgot there are 2 turbos. You mentioned number 2 as an oil failure, but seems to forgot that number 1 lasted 1500 miles...
This is where I want to go, not an argument.
Ans again there are many coming toward this with the same issues... This is the very important bit...
Thanks.

Little Rascal
Thursday 14th November 2013, 23:10
O

So just what are you wanting us to say ?.
Because that won't fix it or the problem of getting it sorted with the seller ,sorry to say.

Oohh... Bitter...
There is a bit of that indeed, I agree, but I posted here as the OP has the same bother as I did.
The more people are aware of this company, the bad turbos , the bad make, the more people will buy with a full knowledge and this is the important bit.
The very important bit actually...
Its a bit you buying let say an iphone5 or what ever it was, a phone that had a big signal problem when you hold it ( which is what you do while talking on the phone), that the company who was fully aware of this, but says it never happen, not their fault and worse, told you: you need to buy a rubber thingy that goes around...: Selling you a faulty / non usable item and shifting the blame onto the consumer... But that would never happen, would it?
Then you will blame few who would actually blame the company and write about it but not the company? Would you?
Just wondering.
I am not here to argue , I am here to tell what had happen to me, same as others, and this will help others.
I am talking about catastrophic failures on turbos, nothing to do with the oil fed, the settings and so on, I am saying those turbos will fail at any time, 1 days , 2 days? A month? I don't know. Just be aware, that's all.
This is why there are forums, like this people could share their good and bad experiences.
Kunigawa Kamak is a bad experience and many have a lot of similarities, this is also a key point, total failure...
This doesn't happen like this, there is some seriously wrong manufacturing there...
Cheers.

stribo
Friday 15th November 2013, 00:27
Oohh... Bitter...
There is a bit of that indeed, I agree, but I posted here as the OP has the same bother as I did.
The more people are aware of this company, the bad turbos , the bad make, the more people will buy with a full knowledge and this is the important bit.
Its a bit you buying let say an iphone5 or what ever it was, a phone that had a big signal problem when you hold it ( which is what you do while talking on the phone), that the company who was fully aware of this, but says it never happen, not their fault and worse, told you: you need to buy a rubber thingy that goes around...: Selling you a faulty / non usable item and shifting the blame onto the consumer... But that would never happen, would it?
Then you will blame few who would actually blame the company and write about it but not the company? Would you?
Just wondering.
I am not here to argue , I am here to tell what had happen to me, same as others, and this will help others.
I am talking about catastrophic failures on turbos, nothing to do with the oil fed, the settings and so on, I am saying those turbos will fail at any time, 1 days , 2 days? A month? I don't know. Just be aware, that's all.
This is why there are forums, like this people could share their good and bad experiences.
Kunigawa Kamak is a bad experience and many have a lot of similarities, this is also a key point, total failure...
This doesn't happen like this, there is some seriously wrong manufacturing there...
Cheers.

We appreciate the input mate, and your experiences have certainly been an eye opener. I wish you well with your Delica, but would also issue you a warning;
Any 'car' that sits that high, doesn't need a performance upgrade. ;)

claymore
Friday 15th November 2013, 07:41
Oohh... Bitter...
Just wondering.
Cheers.
I don't believe OP, problem was the same as yours, and all I will say finally is if you want trouble free turbo buy original or a Garrett (at quadruple the price) they are cheap for a reason, but if fitted properly you shouldn't have a problem. I only addressed your second turbo failure because it was obviously to much oil pressure, I would be pretty sure that the first one failed for the same reason.

Little Rascal
Monday 18th November 2013, 10:18
Funny ;) Nearly need a ladder to go up in the cabin ;) But I need more whhoommff...

Hi Claymore, I looked at both holes on the fed side of the turbo, they are both identical on the regular and the bigger one? Would that still make you think there is too much pressure there?
Cheers.

Little Rascal
Friday 29th November 2013, 10:04
Hi All,
I received a partial refund from kinugawa, the refunded me the first turbo minus the paypal charge. This is good news as I am less at a loss there.
When I got the time I might take the turbo to a specialist who will tell me why the failure on turbo 2.
Happy weekend to all :)