PDA

View Full Version : Auto gearbox fault - PNP switch replacement?

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 19:01
I've been told that when the 'winter mode' yellow arrow starts flashing, there's something wrong with your gearbox.

Somebody also mentioned replacement of so called PNP switch on top of the gearbox can help this issue.

My questions are:

1. What is the PNP switch?

2. Does replacing this switch normally sort the problem out?

Thanks

Nealevo
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 19:06
Have you tried the rapid stick movement cure, check YouTube or forums for flashing arrow repair, it worked on mine !!!

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 19:28
Have you tried the rapid stick movement cure, check YouTube or forums for flashing arrow repair, it worked on mine !!!

To be honest, someone on the other forum mentioned this, but haven't tried it yet.

It's a friends car so i'll let her know. Apparently the rapid stick movement can clean the copper contacts on above mentioned switch?!

So with engine off, rapid movement's from 'P' to 'L' about 15-20 times?

Cheers

AndysR
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 19:29
To be honest, someone on the other forum mentioned this, but haven't tried it yet.

It's a friends car so i'll let her know. Apparently the rapid stick movement can clean the copper contacts on above mentioned switch?!

So with engine off, rapid movement's from 'P' to 'L' about 15-20 times?

Cheers

Yep, that should sort it if it's the switch causing the fault. Although the ultimate fix is to renew the switch...

t5steve
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 20:03
this is a link to pnp repair
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/pnp...-cleaning.html
let us know if it works

t5steve
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 20:09
sorry when you get to site select volvo 850 repairs then scroll down to pnp removal cleaning installation alignment.......(its near the bottom)

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 20:40
That's great, thanks a lot guys.

So fingers crossed it shouldn't be a knackered box then? I don't know the mileage on the car etc but she obviously doesn't drive the car hard and I imagine she doesn't select winter mode unless in snow conditions etc.

I was told never to use that mode unless snow is on the ground, can damage the box apparently, selects 2nd gear to pull off from standing start?

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 20:42
sorry when you get to site select volvo 850 repairs then scroll down to pnp removal cleaning installation alignment.......(its near the bottom)

I can't find this section i'm afraid :(

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 20:44
Oh, by the way, any part numbers/approx cost of the switch in question?

Thanks

Nealevo
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 20:51
One on eBay number 320816182333 Have a look lots of info too

glock19
Friday 13th January 2012, 01:27
A used unit might give the same issues in a little time down the road but it's an option to use the insides for spare parts. If you are mechanically inclined, just remove the PNP selector switch and open it up. Be careful not to loose the copper contacts & springs. I think there are 3 sets there. Salvage whatever contact which is still good and use the donor parts from the used unit. Assembly the part back in the car in the reverse way of the disassembly.

t5steve
Friday 13th January 2012, 15:50
I can't find this section i'm afraid :(

when you open the link scroll down to bottom of page.....at the bottom left you will see volvo 850 repairs.........click this link....................it will take you to another page volvo repair database.................scroll down (its quite a way down as the list is alphabetical)..............find pnp removal, cleaning, installation, alignment.............then click on the arrowed link..............there is a full run down inc pictures........................any problems pm me and i'll run through it with you