PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler's Truck??

merc85
Monday 9th January 2012, 21:43
Ok, I know nothing about Truck intercooler's, But was wondering if i could fit say a Iveco Euro Cargo Truck intercooler into my 855 t5, and will/would it be more efficient than the stock Volvo one?

rikcougar
Monday 9th January 2012, 21:50
If you increase the cooling area of the intercooler you will lower the air intake temperature which increases the amount of oxygen in the air which gives you more power. If the truck intercooler has a larger cooling area it will work to some extent.

Air to water intercooler much more efficient but difficult to achieve in a car

M-R-P
Monday 9th January 2012, 21:50
I've had my eye on the intercooler off the Iveco Daily 3.0 hpt pickup at work, It has a 3" core and looks to be a good size to fit the sweed. I've heard these will work. Not sure about the eurocargo tho.

AndysR
Monday 9th January 2012, 21:54
If you increase the cooling area of the intercooler you will lower the air intake temperature which increases the amount of oxygen in the air which gives you more power. If the truck intercooler has a larger cooling area it will work to some extent.

However increasing the intake system volume will affect turbo boosting characteristics and can increase lag while the turbo charger works harder/takes longer to fill the intake with charge air...

AndysR
Monday 9th January 2012, 21:55
Ok, I know nothing about Truck intercooler's, But was wondering if i could fit say a Iveco Euro Cargo Truck intercooler into my 855 t5, and will/would it be more efficient than the stock Volvo one?

All of a sudden your not so happy with the performance of the car then... lol

M-R-P
Monday 9th January 2012, 21:56
Aah but turbo lag is god's way of giving VTECs a chance lol;)

merc85
Monday 9th January 2012, 22:00
All of a sudden your not so happy with the performance of the car then... lol

Dont worry about turbo lag thats being sorted, And you can always strive to perfection lol

It's not nessercy Performance, Look on it as making it more efficiant. (tuned)

rikcougar
Monday 9th January 2012, 22:03
However increasing the intake system volume will affect turbo boosting characteristics and can increase lag while the turbo charger works harder/takes longer to fill the intake with charge air...

Fair point well made

Swings and roundabouts, this is why tuning is a black art

Volvostorm
Monday 9th January 2012, 22:17
You can see my THS intercooler in this photo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/paulxr4x4/836f3801.jpg

jayeastanglia
Monday 9th January 2012, 22:25
always fit anti lag system to reduce the turbo lag..

Dan850r
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 09:27
Have a read of this

http://horsepowercalculators.net/intercooler-calculator/intercooler-calculator

Al115
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 09:57
The stock intercooler is actually pretty good to about 300bhp IIRC.

Al115
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 09:58

Aaah, the "charge cooler"... I've seen it once in an 850, which tells you how worthwhile it was :)

merc85
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 10:11

I think i maybe slightly over that, But my Current intercooler is suspect to

T5frankie
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 10:31
I think i maybe slightly over that, But my Current intercooler is suspect to

Ooh unfounded power claims lol get your arse to hlm dyno day and we can all have a laugh lol

jayeastanglia
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 10:47
Ooh unfounded power claims lol get your arse to hlm dyno day and we can all have a laugh lol

bet merc isnt to far out with just over 300 at the crank....
reason why i am gonna have to go to a dyno day just to see what mines pushing out I would be happy with standard power or maybe a 10hp increase bearing in mind the milage the engines done

BlackBeast
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 17:01

Do you have any data to back that statement up?

T5frankie
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 17:19

yeah my car lol

Kingsford G
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 17:28
U`ll know the figures soon enough guys `cos we going to dyno test poss next week as my car needs a pcv and oil change maybe MBC fitted.I might be not far off from u guys but in any case I am not up for a stupid power as long as good power and nice car.To me just meeting up with the lot and having a nice t5 is priority.Saying that its nice to c u all competing.

Al115
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 17:29

Nope. Just what I've heard from others, and my personal experience from an i/c upgrade that didn't give significant gains at around 280bhp, though the testing for that was limited in scope and data logging.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 17:44

I was at 269WHP on a stock intercooler/16t with no problems, ill let everyone else do the @ Crank figs as they vary sooooo much. :)

WOODY T5
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 18:03
got over 310bhp with one @ crack

bigrotch
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 18:55
got over 310bhp with one @ crack

woody u got 310 on standad cooler i know im prob gunner need a better one aventully for the kkk but for time being it should be ok then i hoipe lol

WOODY T5
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 19:26
woody u got 310 on standad cooler i know im prob gunner need a better one aventully for the kkk but for time being it should be ok then i hoipe lolshould ok for now mate but i have upgrade to a bigger one and as cooled it things down a lot and same a lot faster?

AndysR
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 19:32
Aaah, the "charge cooler"... I've seen it once in an 850, which tells you how worthwhile it was :)

They're good provided you have a large water quantity and a larger area to cool that water because once the water has absorbed the heat.. Which it does well.. You then need to remove that heat from the water, not something that works so well! lol

Had a charge cooler on my turbo'd Orion I upgraded to a front mount and the gains, from an on the road perspective, were more than noticeable and certainly for the better over the charge cooler.

Jim S70R
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 19:42
They're good provided you have a large water quantity and a larger area to cool that water because once the water has absorbed the heat.. Which it does well.. You then need to remove that heat from the water, not something that works so well! lol

Had a charge cooler on my turbo'd Orion I upgraded to a front mount and the gains, from an on the road perspective, were more than noticeable and certainly for the better over the charge cooler.

Don't you mean charge warmer!!

BlackBeast
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 23:16
I was at 269WHP on a stock intercooler/16t with no problems, ill let everyone else do the @ Crank figs as they vary sooooo much. :)

Im not asking about power figures. But taking your example on further, how do you know that at your estimated power figure the ECU isn't retarding ignition timing due to high IATs?

Al115
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 23:18
Looking at the sensor / ECU data during a run would be one of the only ways to know that, I'd guess.

merc85
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 23:20

LOL i havent claimed anything. But the suspect intercooler is a excuse i may use later< Out of your book lol

BlackBeast
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 23:22
Looking at the sensor / ECU data during a run would be one of the only ways to know that, I'd guess.

Exactly.

Al115
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 23:26
I might have missed your point, then, but I think we've covered - you can make 300bhp on a standard intercooler - no-one (posting on this thread) exactly knows when the stock intercooler starts becoming particularly inefficient, or otherwise a limiting factor.

LiamT4
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 23:28

Charge cooling is good for drag racing, as you can get the temps down further than with just a fmic. But after each run it needs to cool down because, as you have said, once the liquid is warm, it takes a while to cool back down and becomes less efficient quickly.

T5frankie
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 23:30
LOL i havent claimed anything. But the suspect intercooler is a excuse i may use later< Out of your book lol

i've never used an excuse for anything mate lol, may be my next upgrade

BlackBeast
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 00:36
I might have missed your point, then, but I think we've covered - you can make 300bhp on a standard intercooler - no-one (posting on this thread) exactly knows when the stock intercooler starts becoming particularly inefficient, or otherwise a limiting factor.

My point was that you don't know if the standard IC is efficient at 300bhp as you have no data to back your post.

Al115
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 08:15
Ah, you could have just said that.

No matter. I agree with you. Do you have any data you'd care to share on the matter, so we could learn more?