PDA

View Full Version : Peculiar lifters

dalhousie2008
Monday 9th January 2012, 20:47
The 854 is generally good and quiet, when I got her I changed the oil quicker jacked up the car and when started was a small lifter noise for about well less than a minute.

I thought must be whilst oil circulated. Parked on my drive which is quite steep. Car facing up hill and again this morning tapped noise for about a min, then silence for rest of the day.

Does anybody else experience this? Ive parked on the flat tonight so hopefully there won't be a noise in the morning.

LiamT4
Monday 9th January 2012, 20:50
I wouldn't worry about that, i'v known many a car do the same for the first minute or so.

Al115
Monday 9th January 2012, 20:50
Yes it's pretty normal.

merc85
Monday 9th January 2012, 20:54
The 854 is generally good and quiet, when I got her I changed the oil quicker jacked up the car and when started was a small lifter noise for about well less than a minute.

I thought must be whilst oil circulated. Parked on my drive which is quite steep. Car facing up hill and again this morning tapped noise for about a min, then silence for rest of the day.

Does anybody else experience this? Ive parked on the flat tonight so hopefully there won't be a noise in the morning.

Belive it or not you may find Two oil changes later using Castrol 10w40 Magnitec will stop that.

Mine suffered that noise using lesser oils But has no trouble since.
How many miles do you do before oil and filter changes?

AndysR
Monday 9th January 2012, 20:59
Some of these engines do seem to tap on cold start. Must confess mine never has but I've always done regular oil changes using very good quality oils, perhaps if you change the oil more regularly than Volvo advise it might improve?

LiamT4
Monday 9th January 2012, 21:04
Some of these engines do seem to tap on cold start. Must confess mine never has but I've always done regular oil changes using very good quality oils, perhaps if you change the oil more regularly than Volvo advise it might improve?

My t4 used to do it and that was done every 4k.

dalhousie2008
Monday 9th January 2012, 21:18
I'll bung in some lifter treatment then use oil flush and change it again. I'll try gtx mag, was wondering if any one had it pointing up hill, new car to me but I change every 6 k

AndysR
Monday 9th January 2012, 21:22
NOOOOOOOO don't use additives your better off living with it and just using a decent oil..

dalhousie2008
Monday 9th January 2012, 21:28
Ok I'll just use an engine flush when changing no lift treatment, how's that?

AndysR
Monday 9th January 2012, 21:31
I wouldn't even use a flush.. Just do a few more than regular oil changes perhaps 1,000 - 1,500 miles apart and allow the oil to do the flushing and cleaning ;)

dalhousie2008
Monday 9th January 2012, 21:40
Ok will do thanks all and andy, can't be heard after 30 secs so fingers crossed

AndysR
Monday 9th January 2012, 22:04
Ok will do thanks all and andy, can't be heard after 30 secs so fingers crossed

From the owners handbook...

"Hydraulic tappets

This engine features hydraulic tappets which means that valve clearance is adjusted automatically. It is possible that the hydraulic valve tappets produce a ticking sound for the first few seconds after an engine is started, while the oil pressure is being built up. If the car has not been used for a long period of time, this ticking sound may be heard for up to 15 minutes, but this is normal.
NB! Do not exceed 3,000 rpm until the ticking sound disappears."

merc85
Monday 9th January 2012, 22:20
I still reckon that if oil is pressant it should not tap, As Volvo say a lay long lay up period will increase the chance. Probably because the oil has draind out the way. Surley the lifter/tappet requires some oil to operate?

I drive may car Hard, So i change Oil and Filter every 3k, and since using Magnetec 10w40 i havent had a issue. This has also been a case with my Mum's Yaris which only gets used once a week since using castrol magnatec it doesnt tap on start up.

But i do not park on a Hill either so that also may encourage oil to drain off quicker.

dalhousie2008
Monday 9th January 2012, 22:34
Yes it seems if the front of the car face up hillor as in being jacked up for a change. Will try magnatec

merc85
Monday 9th January 2012, 22:54
Yes it seems if the front of the car face up hillor as in being jacked up for a change. Will try magnatec

Out of interest what oil have you been using? I ran mine for a while on Comma 10w40 semi and it burt it like nothing else change to A better oil and oil consumptiom was as it should be.

dalhousie2008
Monday 9th January 2012, 22:56
10 40 semi car lube r I think

merc85
Monday 9th January 2012, 23:25
Be interesting to here the results after the change in oil