PDA

View Full Version : oh bugger its broken

Robs-P2-v70t5
Monday 9th January 2012, 11:46
kept wundering why the temp was rising quickly on the 855 , knew the water was dirty as previous owner said he changed oil cooler and there was still some gunk floating on top of the water, did think thought only autos came with them but wasent sure so took it as that.

but checked it today and its got worse felt rad pipes, yep there now feeling rock solid too, dam... guessing head gasket is on its way fan kicks in still and temp only goes slightly above normal so hoping a strip down clean up and new gasket and bolts will sort it.

bigrotch
Monday 9th January 2012, 11:59
mate befor u go down that road...on the 850 t5 the rad is a shared oilcoiler aswell and they have bin known to brake down inside and water and oil mix. if the rad hasnt bin replaced id go go that first.. its alot easier than doin a head...engine oil and water flush then see what happens cos if u do the head and it still dos it u will be proper pis=ed hope this helps a bit mate

mitchyboy01
Monday 9th January 2012, 12:11
Thermostat my be stuck closed mate. Rare for HG to go unless you have been silly with the MBC.

Robs-P2-v70t5
Monday 9th January 2012, 12:49
Thermostat my be stuck closed mate. Rare for HG to go unless you have been silly with the MBC.

apparently previous owner said he had not long changed the rad etc because of the oil cooler going, water is circulating very well so not sure thermo is stuck but then im not on expert on these you all know more then me lol.

an rad pipes are rock solid.

previous owner said he had it at 1.7 bar, its now at 1.1

nottsgreent5
Monday 9th January 2012, 12:49
If its the rad mate phone notts rads did me mine for 100 quid for cash

Robs-P2-v70t5
Monday 9th January 2012, 12:50
my first t5 had the head gasket go, due to neglect tho by previous owner, no anti freeze and head gasket went.

Robs-P2-v70t5
Monday 9th January 2012, 12:51
might try fix my compression tester and see if i can get a reading from all the cylinders

Tomcat
Monday 9th January 2012, 12:54
Get a sniff test done first ( any decent garage can do this), they check the coolant for exhaust gases this will tell you if the head gaskette has gone or not.

Robs-P2-v70t5
Monday 9th January 2012, 16:42
well drained coolent, seriously looked like it had tones of copper grease in there, so kept flushing it through and took the expansion bottle off and cleaned that out too, refilled car slowly to help avoid air getting into the system, heaters work, fan kicks in, pipes go solid and car spat its coolent out once upto temp, just over half way on the temp gauge.

by the time its cooled down its started to get dark so going to check the thermostat tomorow.

thanks the help and opinions guys, will let you know how i go.

wegal
Monday 9th January 2012, 16:51
sounds like head to me.

jayeastanglia
Monday 9th January 2012, 18:11
that copper grease is a type of rad sealant stuff people use to bodge up a leaking rad..its a bit like rad weld and they all do 1 great thing in blocking up small water ways and heater matrix...flush it out fill with water for now and go for a drive and then drain and flush again till you get clearish water when you drain it after that then refill with fresh water and see how it goes for a week if the water still needs topping up after a few days or goes black from oil then you still got a leak somewhere(oil cooler in rad then head gasket or worst case head is cracked from a overheating issue before u got it.

mitchyboy01
Monday 9th January 2012, 18:26
that copper grease is a type of rad sealant stuff people use to bodge up a leaking rad..its a bit like rad weld and they all do 1 great thing in blocking up small water ways and heater matrix...flush it out fill with water for now and go for a drive and then drain and flush again till you get clearish water when you drain it after that then refill with fresh water and see how it goes for a week if the water still needs topping up after a few days or goes black from oil then you still got a leak somewhere(oil cooler in rad then head gasket or worst case head is cracked from a overheating issue before u got it.

Or the copper substance could be oil in the water. Sounds more and more like HG doh!

claymore
Monday 9th January 2012, 18:52
Exactly the same symptoms as mine, definately Head Gasket I'm afraid.

Robs-P2-v70t5
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 10:04
the copper grease type stuff looks exactly like copper grease asin bits that look like copper filings, prob some type of rad weld..

will still check thermostat and then try and do a compression test, what pressure per cylinder am i looking for?

typical that tax runs out end of the month aswell, paying for the tax and doing the headgasket IF thats the only problem will be a nightmare money wise, but if it needs rebuilding ill take it off the road for abit.

Nealevo
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 10:10
sounds like a head gasket to me, i had the same troubles not long ago, sticky thermostat was the cause, and it had a knock on effect, head blew, had to have a new engine in the end as it cracked a cylinder liner in the end, that was an expensive week...

Robs-P2-v70t5
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 10:37
well checked thermostat , thats working :( not looking good.

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 10:56
I'm pretty sure from past reading that T5 compression from factory is around 170 maybe 180. So over 150 on all cylinders is probably ok. What you are looking for if it's HG is 1 or 2 cylinders to have a large difference from the rest. I.E 4x 150psi and 1x 100psi. My compression tester was about £20 from Halfords I think.

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 10:59
Oh and don't forget to do on a warm engine.

Robs-P2-v70t5
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 12:00
Oh and don't forget to do on a warm engine.

F... forgot about that lol did it on cold engine might be why i got these readings

1. 75psi
2. 80psi
3. 75psi this cylinders sparkplug was coverd in oil.
4. nearly 90psi
5. 80psi

to be honest dont think i should even bother to do it again now, have water it gets warm quickly , rad pipes go hard. and if you take the cap off it immediatly spits all its coolent out.

so think its pritty much the headgasket for definate.

the spark plug that was coverd in oil it was fresh so not sure if there was a little in the spark plug hole, but either way it was black and looked asif that cylinder is burning a small amount of oil anyway.

rather peed as it drove fine with no smoke..

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 14:18
They are all very low readings tbh. How does the engine run? Does it consume much oil?

Robs-P2-v70t5
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 17:09
They are all very low readings tbh. How does the engine run? Does it consume much oil?

runs well , doesent seam to burn oil, and all plugs apart from no3 are normal

has SLIGHT miss now and then but put it down to needing a service and can only tell on tickover , drives fine.

Robs-P2-v70t5
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 23:00
F... forgot about that lol did it on cold engine might be why i got these readings

1. 75psi
2. 80psi
3. 75psi this cylinders sparkplug was coverd in oil.
4. nearly 90psi
5. 80psi

to be honest dont think i should even bother to do it again now, have water it gets warm quickly , rad pipes go hard. and if you take the cap off it immediatly spits all its coolent out.

so think its pritty much the headgasket for definate.

the spark plug that was coverd in oil it was fresh so not sure if there was a little in the spark plug hole, but either way it was black and looked asif that cylinder is burning a small amount of oil anyway.

rather peed as it drove fine with no smoke..

was this result beacause the engine was cold when tested, or somthing else trying to decide wether or not to do the head gasket or just replace the engine. although it does drive ok, i did think it was abit sluggish off boost, but not had a car mapped or running a mbc before. an doesent appear to smoke when running, although i have noticed it on let off before although i had just gave it some welly and the exhaust had just burnt off some excess fuel from the pop it made.

Robs-P2-v70t5
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 19:56
what a prat... just thought, the car ejects all coolent only when cap is taken of, which of course it will because its hot and under pressure. it does not boil over with the cap on, and temp gauge never goes much more then half way. im going to keep an eye on it and see what happens, as its driving fine.

Robs-P2-v70t5
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 19:54
this is the temp it now gets to just before fan kicks in, guessing this is around normal? flushed the system again and topped back up with 50/50 mix water and antifreeze.

going to keep an eye open for any water and oil mixing but so far seams ok and pipework seams ok too.

Nealevo
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 20:04
Sounds simple but when I had mine done I had a bad air block, it took ages to burp itself!!!

Jamest5r
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 20:46
this is the temp it now gets to just before fan kicks in, guessing this is around normal? flushed the system again and topped back up with 50/50 mix water and antifreeze.

going to keep an eye open for any water and oil mixing but so far seams ok and pipework seams ok too.

That's exactly where mine sit's.

Sounds simple but when I had mine done I had a bad air block, it took ages to burp itself!!!

Ive had the same, dont know why but they can be a bitch to bleed sometime's.

Robs-P2-v70t5
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 20:48
cheers guys :)