PDA

View Full Version : Petes T5R

T5RPete
Friday 6th January 2012, 15:42
So, the time has come to start doing some work on my car.

I originally said to Dean and Emlyn (Woody T5 and The Flying Moose) that I wouldn't be doing anything performance related to the car at first.

Well I think 'at first' has come and gone. Looking at all the other cars on here slowly getting done, I just can't resist!

Theres a couple of things i'll be doing just to get the car up to the standard I want, and then the modifications will commence.

The main catalyst for this, is the Dyno day coming up in March. I decided I didn't want to run a car where all the modifications had been done by someone else (but still, thanks Leet5r for them).

Now my technical ability extends to opening the bonnet and checking if the engine is still present. Thats about it. Oh, and operating those three pedals in the drivers footwell...

Based on that then, my knowledge of engine modifications are also quite limited too. I'll apologise as this means i'll probably be asking alot of questions along the way.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer me! It is really very much appriciated!

T5RPete
Friday 6th January 2012, 15:44
So first on my list then is a new exhaust system. Fairly simple way to start things off I thought.

Previous owner (Leet5r) stated that there is an S60R manifold on the car, I checked with Emlyn, he says that this is worth keeping, so that's what i'll do.

Currently the car is de-catted (and sounds great for it). I want to keep it de-catted, but I also want a way of getting it through the annual MOT. I assume it's possible to get a cat to put in for the day of the test??

I've found a local Powerflow supplier near to me (in Norfolk) that does custom stainless steel systems, and at only 30miles away makes it quite convenient. However, if there is a supplier of custom exhausts anybody on here would reccommend I use instead, that would be great.

I'll probably get this done in February so it's ready for the dyno.

My first question regards the specs of an exhaust. Whats the standard bore on these cars? I'd like a larger bore on the stainless system to help airflow. Is a 3" system going to be a suitable upgrade?

I don't want it to be stupidly loud so i'll keep a back box in there, but I don't want it to restrict too much.

I understand I sound like a complete novice here (and thats because I am).

Thanks again.

T5frankie
Friday 6th January 2012, 15:53
mine has a powerflow cat back (well did) with one small box at the rear this gave a nice burble not too loud, standard bore is 2.5 and isnt that restictive unless you want massive power, if you want a 3" you would need an angled outlet on your turbo with a 3" downpipe mated to 3" cat back

T5RPete
Friday 6th January 2012, 15:56
mine has a powerflow cat back (well did) with one small box at the rear this gave a nice burble not too loud, standard bore is 2.5 and isnt that restictive unless you want massive power, if you want a 3" you would need an angled outlet on your turbo with a 3" downpipe mated to 3" cat back

Would you reccommend the Powerflow system then?

The turbo outlet currently then, is there not enough space for a 3", thats why it'd need altering?

T5frankie
Friday 6th January 2012, 16:21
Would you reccommend the Powerflow system then?

The turbo outlet currently then, is there not enough space for a 3", thats why it'd need altering?

it dont need altering just changing for one with an angled outlet, powerflow it seems vary in quality of their work depends where you go, i run a 2.5 inch all the way from turbo to back and its fine and over 300bhp now

LiamT4
Friday 6th January 2012, 17:42
On the exhaust question, one point to remember is that if you fit a 3" system you can lose a bit of torque low down, obviously it'll be better higher up the revs, but its just something to keep in mind and depends on what you'd prefer.

smithson007
Friday 6th January 2012, 17:48
Frankies right in what he says about powerflow quality varying. The quality of myne i had fitted the other day is poor. So far its been on the car for 3 days and its already dropped off it hangers twice resulting in the tail pipe smacking the road. Theyre in for a good grilling tomorrow.

The Flying Moose
Friday 6th January 2012, 18:00
Unfortunately as powerflow is a Franchise the quality really will vary.

I can recommend where I would go (Rebel Powerpipes) but thats all the way up near Hull.

Another option is to buy a pre built stainless system from BSR, OBX, Miltek, Ferrita, Jetex etc.

LiamT4
Friday 6th January 2012, 18:03
Custom chrome in nuneaton near leicester is very good, the work they did on my mates old liner was excellent.

smithson007
Friday 6th January 2012, 18:12
Unfortunately as powerflow is a Franchise the quality really will vary.

I can recommend where I would go (Rebel Powerpipes) but thats all the way up near Hull.

Another option is to buy a pre built stainless system from BSR, OBX, Miltek, Ferrita, Jetex etc.

Wish id just gone down the route of buying a pre built one.
I had miltek on my S70R and it sounded good.

T5frankie
Friday 6th January 2012, 18:57
i have never had an powerflow exhaust issue in 18months ive had my car and i even got them to do the decat too

smithson007
Friday 6th January 2012, 19:12
i have never had an powerflow exhaust issue in 18months ive had my car and i even got them to do the decat too

Its just the dodgy lot that fitted myne. Its as if they wernt even interested when i was talking to them about what i wanted. They made no suggestions or no input to the conversation.
He's welded the hangers to far down the exhaust so they keep slipping out of the rubbers.
Pleased it's going back in tomorrow to get sorted.

Jamest5r
Friday 6th January 2012, 19:16
Custom chrome in nuneaton near leicester is very good, the work they did on my mates old liner was excellent.

I was just going to suggest them as they are top quailty seen the work they have done on Smithy's system when he had the v70 then again when they changed it for the 940, plus they are on your way home Pete just a few miles off junc 3/M6.

Also powerflow in birmingham are good as well had a little work done on my dp and the plasma wealding was spot on.

LiamT4
Friday 6th January 2012, 19:21
I was just going to suggest them as they are top quailty seen the work they have done on Smithy's system when he had the v70 then again when they changed it for the 940, plus they are on your way home Pete just a few miles off junc 3/M6.

Also powerflow in birmingham are good as well had a little work done on my dp and the plasma wealding was spot on.

If i have any exhaust stuff done, thats where i'll be going, plus they ask you exactly what you want and if it can be done, they'll do it.

and the little old guy can use a welder without a face mask. How he can still see is beyond me!! lol

T5RPete
Monday 16th January 2012, 00:04
So, firstly a big thank you to Emlyn and to Joe (rockheadrumble) for their work this evening.

A new (to me) cat back exhaust has been fitted.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMAG0125.jpg

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMAG0124.jpg

The observant amongst you will recognise it as the exhaust from Emlyns car.

He now has a BSR cat back.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMAG0123.jpg

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMAG0121.jpg

Video of mine can be seen here on youtube (http://youtu.be/W38ZuutVZ5A).

Volvostorm
Monday 16th January 2012, 00:27
Where about in Shropshire are you?

T5RPete
Monday 16th January 2012, 00:35
Where about in Shropshire are you?

I spend most of my time in Norfolk, but when i'm back home, it's a small village not far from Oswestry, and a little further from Shrewsbury.

I take it you know the area?

EDIT: I've just seen you location (Doh!) Yeah, little village called St.Martins, don't know if you know it?

Volvostorm
Monday 16th January 2012, 00:42
I know St. Martins, not that well, but I know where it is :)

We will have to have a mini meet one day, Dan850R is just up the road in Oswestry too

The Flying Moose
Monday 16th January 2012, 01:13
Looking good Pete, who is that midget I see in the second picture???

WOODY T5
Monday 16th January 2012, 01:18
looking good mate sounds nice to. looks like yoda to me lol

T5RPete
Monday 16th January 2012, 20:02
Yet more work on the car today with Emlyn.

Replaced one of the bulbs in the dash clocks

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMAG0127.jpg

Then gave the car a service, oil change, new oil + fuel filter, and replaced the windscreen wipers.

Got another bulb to change behind the drivers side temp guage, the tracking needs doing so that'll get done next week, and eventually changing the bonnet hinges

AndysR
Monday 16th January 2012, 23:52
Good to hear of your improvements, are you pleased with the new exhaust? Certainly sounds nice in the video and when it was fitted to Emlyns car.
What's the reason for renewing the bonnet hinges? Are they damaged?

T5RPete
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 00:09
Yeah, very pleased with the exhaust, looks good, sounds good, and best of all, it's nice and shiney!!

The little holders that stop the bonnet opening all the way back to the screen are bent and so don't hold it. The replacements came with the car when I bought it so i'll get em on.

AndysR
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 00:11
Yeah, very pleased with the exhaust, looks good, sounds good, and best of all, it's nice and shiney!!

The little holders that stop the bonnet opening all the way back to the screen are bent and so don't hold it. The replacements came with the car when I bought it so i'll get em on.

Must say it does look like a well made exhaust, such a shame it isn't on general show as it's that shiney. Still at least we all know it's shiney :)
Fair play re the bonnet hinges if you've already got them seems rude not too :)

T5RPete
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 00:21
I also bought the paint to do my standard Volvo grill today. I was going to leave the slash in silver and paint the rest in satin black. But thinking about it, I may go with something out of the ordinary and unique...

We'll see. :wink:

AndysR
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 00:22
I also bought the paint to do my standard Volvo grill today. I was going to leave the slash in silver and paint the rest in satin black. But thinking about it, I may just go with something out of the ordinary and unique...

We'll see. :wink:

Ummm sounds interesting! Keep us posted :)

leet5r
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 21:26
it seem my old steed has gone to a good home , so thats me happy , car sounds well , wish i kept the bov , what other mods you got planed m8y

Jamest5r
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 21:42
it seem my old steed has gone to a good home , so thats me happy , car sounds well , wish i kept the bov , what other mods you got planed m8y

Lee is that the motor running my old ported 16t?

leet5r
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 21:49
yeah m8 , thats your turbo on , but i had a angled 16t on siamblue to go on once i found a down pipe to suit

Jamest5r
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 22:19
yeah m8 , thats your turbo on , but i had a angled 16t on siamblue to go on once i found a down pipe to suit

Hey Pete...i had a custom map done on that turbo with just about the same mods as you and it was 268WHP & 456nm :) It's still on HLM's database.

T5RPete
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 22:29
Hey Pete...i had a custom map done on that turbo with just about the same mods as you and it was 268WHP & 456nm :) It's still on HLM's database.

I like that alot...

Volvostorm
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 22:34
I like that alot...

What are you waiting for then? ;)

leet5r
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 22:40
a dont think ya need a remap yet m8 , the car ran 14.3 which is fast than james time with that spec lol , sorry had to ha

Jamest5r
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 22:47
a dont think ya need a remap yet m8 , the car ran 14.3 which is fast than james time with that spec lol , sorry had to ha

I run 14.3 as well with a 855 :)

Jamest5r
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 22:51
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8257&d=1267369274

leet5r
Tuesday 17th January 2012, 23:03
but that was me 1st time on the strip

T5RPete
Sunday 22nd January 2012, 17:13
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMAG0156.jpg

;)

T5RPete
Monday 23rd January 2012, 13:43
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMAG0161.jpg

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMAG0163.jpg

Ahh, that's better!

T5RPete
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 13:18
As the Volvo is staying with me (YAY) i'm coming back to this thread.

First up, a bit of an explaination as to my cars right now.
I have my 1990 Volkswagen Type 25 crewcab which is being fully restored by www.creativecoachworks.co.uk.

Once this is finished, it'll become my daily driver, replacing my little Fiestavan:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/The%20Fiesta%20Van/IMAG0260.jpg

The Volvo will then be treated to a trailer and it'll become my track car.
I've got WobblyDave to thank for this, as WD40 @ Cadwell really got under my skin!

T5RPete
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 13:18
So, with that in mind, i've got some things to do to the Volvo. Now the VW will be taking most of my money, so for a while i'm limiting myself to cheap-to-do-things.
I'm intending to put the car on a diet.

However I want to keep it so it's returnable to standard. No angle grinding Pedro style (as cool as that is).

That means the interior will be coming out, and I intend to replace the front seats with some fixed buckets and harnesses.

I want to remove as much weight as possible, thats possible to return to standard. What can you suggest? I am just thinking out loud here, but would it be possible to replace the door glass with perspex, take the door cards off, carpets out, stereo out etc? Might have to restart Tomcats thread on fibreglass bonnets/bootlids?

Without having a cage bolted in, how can I attach the seat harnesses, is it possible to use the rear seatbelt mounts? I have no idea if that's possible like?!
Thanks guys!

T5frankie
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 18:46
So, with that in mind, i've got some things to do to the Volvo. Now the VW will be taking most of my money, so for a while i'm limiting myself to cheap-to-do-things.
I'm intending to put the car on a diet.

However I want to keep it so it's returnable to standard. No angle grinding Pedro style (as cool as that is).

That means the interior will be coming out, and I intend to replace the front seats with some fixed buckets and harnesses.

I want to remove as much weight as possible, thats possible to return to standard. What can you suggest? I am just thinking out loud here, but would it be possible to replace the door glass with perspex, take the door cards off, carpets out, stereo out etc? Might have to restart Tomcats thread on fibreglass bonnets/bootlids?

Without having a cage bolted in, how can I attach the seat harnesses, is it possible to use the rear seatbelt mounts? I have no idea if that's possible like?!
Thanks guys!

i dont see why you would want to destroy a lovely 850 t5-r mate, surely sell it buy a cheap old t5 saloon and bag the cash thats left over.

T5RPete
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 19:11
i dont see why you would want to destroy a lovely 850 t5-r mate, surely sell it buy a cheap old t5 saloon and bag the cash thats left over.

At no stage do I plan on destroying it. I just plan on taking the interior out. It'll all be returnable-to-standard.

T5frankie
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 19:20
At no stage do I plan on destroying it. I just plan on taking the interior out. It'll all be returnable-to-standard.

thas why i couldnt go that extra step with my v70r, couldn't bear ripping out the interior

T5RPete
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 19:26
thas why i couldnt go that extra step with my v70r, couldn't bear ripping out the interior

Well fingers crossed there'll be less "ripping out", and more "gently removing" haha. It'll all be stored ready to go back in should I ever come to sell.

T5frankie
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 19:28
Well fingers crossed there'll be less "ripping out", and more "gently removing" haha. It'll all be stored ready to go back in should I ever come to sell.

well have a look at my new thread its definetly out now lol

Dan850r
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 20:09
Its what I've done, took it out carefully and kept it safe, can put it back in when i want

leet5r
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 20:46
glad you have decided to keep her , wish i did some times.
get a rear strut brace and then you can fastern the harnesses to that , theres a bit of weight in the old girl with all the sound deading and carpets etc , strip the sunroof and weld a plate arcoss , jcviggen did this and had got pics on the t5d5 website m8 ,
also did you change the clocks while it was apart
cheers

T5RPete
Monday 14th May 2012, 19:42
Today is a good day.

I got a new battery yesterday, and then got a lift with Emlyn accross to Shropshire last night (thanks again for that mate). This evening I went over to where I had the car parked up SORNed, swapped in the new battery and the car fired up first time.

Love it! It's insured, taxed, and will be coming back home to Norfolk with me on Thursday. As Emlyn quite rightly pointed out this means i'll most likely be coming to the York meet. :)

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 15th May 2012, 14:52
Today is a good day.

I got a new battery yesterday, and then got a lift with Emlyn accross to Shropshire last night (thanks again for that mate). This evening I went over to where I had the car parked up SORNed, swapped in the new battery and the car fired up first time.

Love it! It's insured, taxed, and will be coming back home to Norfolk with me on Thursday. As Emlyn quite rightly pointed out this means i'll most likely be coming to the York meet. :)

Excellent news, once again no problem mate!

You'll have to join the convoy from the M1 services...

T5RPete
Tuesday 15th May 2012, 16:20
Well the Volvo has been put to use straight away transporting the wheels i've just bought for my VW.

Carefull placement of a nice pink sheet to protect the interior, would have rather used my van (Emlyn knows how well wheels fit in that) but hey!

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMAG0293.jpg

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMAG0292.jpg

Also, i'd like to introduce another site I use called THRLL (thrll.com) it's a great way of almost blogging the progress of your car. I'm currently the only Volvo on there so it would be nice to see some of you guys sign up!
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMAG0294.jpg

T5RPete
Saturday 7th July 2012, 17:20
So my coilovers were delivered, and a massive thanks goes to TFM who very kindly fitted the fronts for me. We've yet to do the rears.

The Bridgestones I have on the rear wheels are 225 wide. When the new rear suspension goes on, these'll be a tad wide. I've therefore replaced them with matching Yokohama Parada Spec 2s

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMAG0330.jpg

Pictures of the fitted front coilys once TFM has supplied them... Hint Hint!

T5frankie
Saturday 7th July 2012, 17:46
So my coilovers were delivered, and a massive thanks goes to TFM who very kindly fitted the fronts for me. We've yet to do the rears.

The Bridgestones I have on the rear wheels are 225 wide. When the new rear suspension goes on, these'll be a tad wide. I've therefore replaced them with matching Yokohama Parada Spec 2s

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMAG0330.jpg

Pictures of the fitted front coilys once TFM has supplied them... Hint Hint!

i have 225/35/19's on the rear of mine with no issues mate

T5RPete
Saturday 7th July 2012, 18:05
i have 225/35/19's on the rear of mine with no issues mate

Nevertheless, nice new sticky yokas :)

T5frankie
Saturday 7th July 2012, 18:13
Nevertheless, nice new sticky yokas :)

my personal favourites and good price too

The Flying Moose
Saturday 7th July 2012, 19:24
I forgot after pics but here are befores and during for you Pete...

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/P6120534.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/P6120533.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/P6120549.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/P6120550.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/P6120541.jpg

Santa
Saturday 7th July 2012, 19:56
Sitting very nicely. Assuming you are keeping it now Pete?

danny-R
Sunday 8th July 2012, 11:45
Looks lovely mate, always loved this car.

T5RPete
Sunday 8th July 2012, 11:56
I am indeed Santa!

Booked to do the trackday here at Marham in August :)

Nealevo
Sunday 8th July 2012, 12:23
Pete/emlyn, did you have any issues with the coilovers, as I have the same kit sat in my garage, just wondering on ride quality and ease of fitting ?

T5RPete
Sunday 8th July 2012, 12:32
You'll have to wait till later as Emlyns at work and I didn't fit them. I've also not tried it out yet... Sorry :)

The Flying Moose
Sunday 8th July 2012, 19:48
Pete/emlyn, did you have any issues with the coilovers, as I have the same kit sat in my garage, just wondering on ride quality and ease of fitting ?

Truth be told they were easy to fit, as per the normal the hardest part is removing the old nuts and bolts. You do have to make use (unless you buy new) of the old strut parts including the top mounts. Good easy adjustment of ride height too with provided tool.

Unlike Pete I took it straight out for testing after I fitted them ;)

As for the ride quality, certainly firm but not to the point of discomfort. There is little rebound however, and them can seem a little "knocky" on bumps but so too can a wound up set of Koni Yellows, they are however since on a "good" surface. I think for the price you'll struggle to beat them but they are by no means a comparision on KW's or BC's.

T5RPete
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 14:22
Just a couple of shots of Andy fitting my new rear suspension :)

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMGP0714.jpg

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMGP0717.jpg

danny-R
Wednesday 18th July 2012, 16:41
Any pics of them wound right down? I'm on the look out for another 850 t5 as a work horse (fed up of driving a transit) and i'm interested in these coilovers.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss179/longdogger/DSC01973.jpg
I'd love it this low all round. Probably 10 bags of plaster in there :)

T5RPete
Friday 10th August 2012, 21:44
So firstly, apologies for the dodgy photos, I forgot my camera and had to use my phone.

I finally got my own garage the other day, and decided to see if the Volvo will fit in it.
Turns out the garage is deceptively large. I got the tape measure out first as I never thought it would fit. Driven in forwards the car won't fit because the door catches on the spoiler, but I have no doubt it'll fit reversed in.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/Garage.jpg

I then moved on to preparing for the Marham Trackday next weekend. It's time for a diet.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/Seat.jpg

One bloomin heavy passenger seat removed!

Rear bench seat has come out too, back will come out tomorrow!

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/Interior.jpg

Tomorrow i'm off to buy myself a helmet, and i'll probably set up the camera locations for my GoPro HD2.

Check back tomorrow for more :)

T5RPete
Saturday 11th August 2012, 13:00
So this morning I went out and bought my helmet. it's a Box JX-2. Plain, simple, cheap; exactly what I wanted.

I've also set up the mounts for my GoPro.

I've got one hanging down from the sunroof looking out through the windscreen. When I actually set up for Sunday i'll get a bit less of the roof in the shot:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/GOPR1547.jpg

I've also got one for the speedo. This won't get alot of use, but I want to see what sort of speeds I get up to!
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/GOPR1548.jpg

More later once i've done the rest of the interior! :)

T5RPete
Saturday 11th August 2012, 16:43
So the rest of the rear bench and the carpet bits on either side of the boot have now come out.
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMGP0736.jpg

And something i've been meaning to do for ages:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMGP0739.jpg

T5frankie
Saturday 11th August 2012, 17:00
looking good pete

leet5r
Sunday 12th August 2012, 11:22
a want the car back lol

T5RPete
Sunday 12th August 2012, 11:55
Thanks Lee. Trouble is, it's mine forever now!

T5RPete
Saturday 18th August 2012, 12:25
Few more camera mounts for tomorrow:

On the front of the bonnet, can be looking either forwards or backwards
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/GOPR1552.jpg

One on the roof, again can be pointing forwards or backwards (shown looking forwards)
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/GOPR1550.jpg

And one of the passenger side wing, looking forwards over the front wheel
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/GOPR1553.jpg

That gives me six different view points to choose from now.

leet5r
Saturday 18th August 2012, 17:16
what did you do with the old suspension m8 , wouldnt mind them for me dads v70 like

T5RPete
Saturday 18th August 2012, 19:07
Emlyn has had the fronts, i've still got the rears. The rears on this new suspension does not drop anywhere near the advertised amount. I'm in contact with the seller on eBay trying to resolve this.

Redbrick
Saturday 18th August 2012, 20:15
The rears on this new suspension does not drop anywhere near the advertised amount. I'm in contact with the seller on eBay trying to resolve this.

But you've stripped all the weight out of the back... just an observation.

T5RPete
Saturday 18th August 2012, 20:28
But you've stripped all the weight out of the back... just an observation.

Yeah, but the rear ride height looks higher than standard, not the (upto) 60mm drop advertised.

The adjuster doesn't make a blind bit of difference from top to bottom, the ride height is always the same...

flooders
Sunday 19th August 2012, 18:51
Lethal mate

T5RPete
Monday 20th August 2012, 13:37
Today is a very sad day.
So the interior is back in the car, battery disconnected, and it's been parked up in the garage.
Will come out again in April.

T5RPete
Monday 20th August 2012, 14:45
Now declared as off the road. and i've cancelled the insurance. Got a refund (as I paid the premium in full at the start of the policy) of £604.

I should save that for when I come to re insure it in April, but instead, i'm wondering what I can buy for the car? Bucket seats? New wheels? Remap?

Hmmmm

p fandango
Monday 20th August 2012, 16:15
putting bucket seats in is a big weight saver

rockheadrumble
Friday 24th August 2012, 13:11
Why have you put it away again!?

T5RPete
Saturday 25th August 2012, 12:11
Why have you put it away again!?

Off to the Falklands November - March

leet5r
Monday 14th October 2013, 11:43
any updates

T5RPete
Thursday 17th October 2013, 20:15
No mate. Car is, unfortunately, still tucked up in the garage. I really need to do something with it...

WOODY T5
Thursday 17th October 2013, 20:26
Yeah sell it!

leet5r
Thursday 17th October 2013, 21:18
yeah , could be intrested in my old car

T5RPete
Saturday 19th October 2013, 15:15
Yeah sell it!

This may well be what happens.

T5RPete
Monday 10th February 2014, 21:49
Well then, four months has passed and what has happened?

Not a great deal actually. Emlyn and I (mainly him) replaced the brakes back in May 2013, and since then i've just forgotten about the car. It's sat quite comfortably in my garage, albeit getting a touch dusty.
When we put it away last year, there was biblical amounts of smoke pouring out the back. The diagnosis (from Emlyn) a dodgy turbo (something about oil seals). Nevertheless, we put the car away, with the intention of fixing it at a later, indetermined date.

However, it took until the new year before that date came around. Here's what we were greeted with:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMGP3525.jpg

So initial attempts to push the car out were thwarted by a lack of space at the rear and no battery to lower the drivers window to aid pushing. It was decided that we would fire it up for a few seconds to get it out of the garage. This involved the use of a particular Skoda to breathe life into the Volvo:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMGP3527.jpg

So, car out and accessible but the wind proved to be an issue. It was pretty windy (ignoring the fact is was freezing cold also) and we were worried it might catch the open bonnet, sending it back into the windscreen / roof. Solution: remove the bonnet.
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMGP3528.jpg

From there then, it was jacked up and put on axle stands, and had various bit of engine removed (RIP and air filter & pipe):
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMGP3529.jpg

After a while, the old 16t turbo was off and showing signs of oil seepage:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMGP3533.jpg

Replacement 15g turbo (courtesy of Emlyn) was then fitted. Sorry, best picture I could get. I'm sure you've all seen one before:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMGP3534.jpg

We had a slight issue with the 15g not sitting quite correctly. After some more tinkering, Emlyn had it sussed. Bonnet was put back on and off we went for a test drive:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMGP3537.jpg

Gently at first, no boost, checked for leaks etc. Bit harder, touch of boost, check for leaks, still good. Then gave it some welly, no smoke, no dodgy noises, all good :)

Oh, apart from the o/s/f brake. We'd heard an occasional squeak but couldn't attribute it to anything. However after stopping to check for leaks after giving it some beans, we noticed the o/s/f brake disc was getting a little hot:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/IMGP3538.jpg

When I first spotted it, it was glowing BRIGHT red, and the heat radiating from it was insane! Coaxed it back to it's garage without using the brakes. That'll be something we look at later. By this time it was nearly 6pm and pretty much dark. That was enough for one afternoon.

T5RPete
Monday 10th February 2014, 21:52
So what brought all this on? Simple; the Southern Rolling Road day at Power Engineering in Uxbridge on Saturday. Seeing all those sorted cars in one place reminded me that I really love this car. As an example, the longest i've owned a car before is 14 months; right now, i've owned the T5R for 28 months. Double. I just can't seem to sell it!

So then, moving forwards. I'm leaving the country with work for 2 months soon. I'll be aiming to get rid of my Corsa, then save up to have the Volvo converted to LPG. After that, i'll simply use the car, as-is for a while to give me time to save up some money. The T5R needs a bit of work, mostly cosmetic; ideally i'd like to replace the bonnet, the rear corners could do with a lick of paint, the door handles have faded from black etc.

On the mechanical side of things, i'd like to eventually get the engine forged and get it up to a solid 300+ bhp. I have no intention of going mad, but a healthy 300bhp will do me. I've got a short ratio 'box that i'd like to mate to a diff at some point too. Re-new the suspension, these coilovers feel a bit cheap really (reason: they were cheap).

So that's where I am right now. :)

t5 pete
Monday 10th February 2014, 21:54
Bloody hell that's disc looks nice and hot, its always nice to get them back out and on the road but as usual theres always something that needs doing after they have been sitting for a while

AndysR
Monday 10th February 2014, 21:59
Great to see things, and the car, finally moving along after the car has had a little rest. Still looks great Pete and it's fantastic to see you're back in love with it again. Looking forwards to seeing your new plans for the car unfold ... :)

T5RPete
Monday 10th February 2014, 22:01
That brake disc picture looks quite dull compared to when we first saw it. It was taken on my camera that selected a long exposure (4 seconds) so the ambient light was a lot less than it looks in the picture!

I should also add here, that I could not have done any of this work myself! Emlyn (The Flying Moose) is an absolute star, always willing to give up his own time to help me! Cheers mate!

stribo
Monday 10th February 2014, 22:09
Good to see the car out and about albeit briefly. Was it you that came with Emlyn Saturday? If so it was good to meet you.:)

The Flying Moose
Monday 10th February 2014, 22:09
Pete your always welcome mate! :)

What a day eh? Glad I managed to encourage you to come now. I knew it would re-ignite the sparks... certainly did the trick as 24 hrs later I'm covered in grease and coolant and there is a smile back on your face.

I thought it was all going well and set for a two and a half hour turbo change at one point, spoke too soon though and had to undo all the work again to jiggle it about to seat correctly. Still proves taking the time to do those final checks pays off as without doing so would have resulted in many hours more work.

I have to say though Pete all that has come at cost, I had aches and pains all-over this morning!

Next job... strip the offside front brake caliper!

T5RPete
Monday 10th February 2014, 22:24
Stribo, yup, that was me. Spent the day mainly complaining about how cold my feet were!

Haha, yeah, you were bang on. One morning looking at them and i'm completely hooked again.

Fantastic Emlyn! Means you were working hard! I however, didn't get much of a workout from handing you sockets and ratchets. Oh, and shivering! haha

AndysR
Monday 10th February 2014, 23:31
Stribo, yup, that was me. Spent the day mainly complaining about how cold my feet were!

Haha, yeah, you were bang on. One morning looking at them and i'm completely hooked again.

Fantastic Emlyn! Means you were working hard! I however, didn't get much of a workout from handing you sockets and ratchets. Oh, and shivering! haha

So hold on you complained about the cold 2 days running!! Should have done some work might have kept your mind off the temperatures ;)

Emlyn work well done, your generosity has and, most likely, never will cease to amaze me, I'm sure you will make an excellent wife someday :)

WOODY T5
Monday 10th February 2014, 23:44
Well done emlyn nice work just think a few years back u dint know wot a spanner was look at u now tho.good too see it running again Pete p.s when u back in the volvo's mr moose!

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 22:43
So hold on you complained about the cold 2 days running!! Should have done some work might have kept your mind off the temperatures ;)

Emlyn work well done, your generosity has and, most likely, never will cease to amaze me, I'm sure you will make an excellent wife someday :)

Wife!!! Cheeky effin sod ;)

Andy, there's nothing quite like the buzz of helping a mate out! Besides helping each other out is what makes owning such unreliable and temperamental cars affordable to run!!!

Well done emlyn nice work just think a few years back u dint know wot a spanner was look at u now tho.good too see it running again Pete p.s when u back in the volvo's mr moose!

Dean I can quite honestly say 95% of my mechanical knowledge has come from you! The hours spent tinkering watching, learning, doing engine changes, gearbox changes, stripping cars and god knows what else! The rest was trial and error...

Back in a Volvo? As soon as I find something that isnt a dog :slap:

AndysR
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 22:47
Agreed! I love tinkering with cars and helping others, must confess I can't be bothered these days to work on my own though.. Lol

T5RPete
Friday 18th April 2014, 17:05
Right. All systems go! This little beauty is in need of some last bits of TLC (OSF brake caliper) and then it'll be ready for an MOT, a tax disc in the window and some Insurance! This should be happening in the next month or so :)

After that, I have a list of things to do. Some are short term, some are mid term and some are long term. I'm more than open to comments and suggestions on this list. I'm by no means an expert and you lot are my biggest resource!

Engine stuff:

18 or 19t.
Injectors (Blues probably).
New RIP pipework as right now mine is borrowed from Emlyn.
Intake stuff - I want a decent induction & filter setup but i'll have to put a thread up when I come to it as I know very little about the options out there for this.
Forged Internals. This is going to be longer-term. Likely next year earliest. Again, I know very little about this, even to what parts are required.
I like the idea of a Front-mount intercooler too.
It will be converted to LPG.

Gearbox:

I have a short ratio box in the garage, I want to get a diff for this. Not sure whether to go Quaife or Gripper...

Suspension, wheels, brakes:

New coilovers.
Uprated Anti-roll bars
May well polybush the front end too.
Wheels. I'd like a set of alloys, maybe a set of Nebulas or something non Volvo. Not sure.
I'd like some upgraded brakes, i'm not sure what i'll go with, probably one of the big brake kits knocking round on here rather than something like AP Racing (that's big bucks :/ ) This won't be for a while as my 302s are brand new!

Interior:

I want a bluetooth & iPod compatible head unit. Having got both in my silly Corsa, I know i'll miss them in the T5R. This'll be one of the first jobs when it becomes my only car again.
I want a reclining bucket seat for the driver at least. Tempted by 850R seats, but as I already have the spoiler, I don't want my T5R to become an R replica...
New boost guage. I've never been a fan of the one in there (Sorry Lee).

Exterior:

It'll be re-painted eventually. Not that I don't like the green but I do like the idea of going red or, dare I say it, Gul yellow. It'll probably stay green though.

I think that pretty much sums it up. Actually, I think that's nearly everything changing. As I say, some of those will be more longer-term but some will be this year ;)

Again, your additions or subtractions are welcomed.

Nealevo
Friday 18th April 2014, 18:55
Pete, i have a sat nav, cd, tv, dvd, ipod, bluetooth all in one double din if you want it? I went back to standard look

T5RPete
Friday 18th April 2014, 19:42
How much do you want for it Neal? If you could hold off until the car's got an MOT (in case that gets costly :/ ) i'll have it off ya :)

WOODY T5
Friday 18th April 2014, 20:54
good to see it makeing a come back so crack on with it ;)

T5RPete
Wednesday 23rd April 2014, 18:33
Right. Looks like it may be back on the road even sooner than I had anticipated. I'll be getting rid of my silly Corsa in the next two to three weeks, but will need the Volvo to be on the road by the 16th of May!

I now just need to make some inquiries about getting it MOTd. Let's just say I may have an issue with emissions...

I'm now looking into the whole tax, MOT and insurance process. How bloomin complicated is that?!

I have a private plate I want to transfer from my other car. To do that, both vehicles must be taxed. To tax the Volvo it must have an MOT and be insured. That means i'll have to insure the car, then get it MOT tested, then I can tax it, then I can get the plate transferred before changing the insurance to the new plate! What a PITA!!

AndysR
Wednesday 23rd April 2014, 23:06
Great to hear she's coming back on the road, bet you're itching to drive it again..!

T5RPete
Thursday 24th April 2014, 19:55
Cheers Andy! You bet I am! I bought the car in Nov 2011 and have only done about 4,000 miles in it since then!

Jamest5r
Thursday 24th April 2014, 19:56
Can't you just put the private plate on retention for a bit?

T5RPete
Friday 25th April 2014, 10:44
Can't you just put the private plate on retention for a bit?

Yeah, although this is more expensive, it looks like this is going to be the easiest way to do it.

T5RPete
Sunday 4th May 2014, 22:15
Quick update.

With the help from Emlyn again, the Volvo came out of the garage for a few jobs. First up was to try and sprt the O/S/F brake caliper which was sticking.

After that was an oil and filter change. After that came re-attaching the front two side mouldings on the drivers side. Emlyn adjusted the door to stop it catching on the front wing.
Sorry, no photos from all that. Pretty boring stuff. Whereas last time we were working on the car (January) where I was wearing about 10 layers and still freezing cold, today I got sunburn on the back of my neck. It's been lovely and warm!

Then this evening we gave the car a wash:

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/DSC_1488.jpg

WOODY T5
Sunday 4th May 2014, 22:35
Nice one boys but have u put bigger springs on the back Pete?

V70 Graham
Sunday 4th May 2014, 22:37
Working on cars/sunburn is catching lol, good work.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 4th May 2014, 23:25
Nice one boys but have u put bigger springs on the back Pete?

Its those Stupid Pro-Sport coilovers Dean... thats as low as they go. I've told him to speak to you about a set of BC's.

theflyingbrick
Sunday 4th May 2014, 23:32
Its those Stupid Pro-Sport coilovers Dean... thats as low as they go. I've told him to speak to you about a set of BC's.

did you fit the adjusters on the back? I was advised to just fit the springs and shocks on the back then adjust the front to match,which is what I did and sits a lot lower at the back then the above pic ;)

as it is in my sig pic below

merc85
Sunday 4th May 2014, 23:36
Bricks correct just fit the springs with the original volvo holding cup

T5RPete
Monday 5th May 2014, 09:33
I may give that a go for now then. It's of no real consequence as the coilovers will be changed. These Prosport ones are naff; they're too bouncy for my liking and the rear looks more like a XC70 than an 850.

Heading off to Halfords today to pick up some side indicator bulbs as neither of mine appear to be working and some coolant.

Then hopefully next month I can start buying bits :D

AndysR
Monday 5th May 2014, 12:37
Looking good, nice to see progress being made :)

T5RPete
Monday 5th May 2014, 13:06
I've just been out to replace the two side indicator bulbs but unfortunately the passenger side still doesn't work :( Not entirely sure why.

AndysR
Monday 5th May 2014, 14:41
Broken wire or poor connection at the multiplug?

T5RPete
Tuesday 6th May 2014, 11:54
Don't know. I'm going to pull it out later and check the wires are securely plugged in. I know on the passenger side, the wires seem quite short compared to the drivers side.

Anyhow, i've now sorted my insurance. It made me laugh on the phone, the guy from Admiral says "So you know you're going from a group 1 car to a group 35 car?" Only a £97 charge for the rest of my policy (roughtly six months). Really pleased with that and certainly a lot cheaper than when i insured it last, 2 years ago.

merc85
Tuesday 6th May 2014, 12:43
I've found on both occasions the plugs get corroded buddy where the bulb pushes in ;)

My 850r insurance worked out £162 fully comp through swinton

AndysR
Tuesday 6th May 2014, 23:08
Don't know. I'm going to pull it out later and check the wires are securely plugged in. I know on the passenger side, the wires seem quite short compared to the drivers side.

Anyhow, i've now sorted my insurance. It made me laugh on the phone, the guy from Admiral says "So you know you're going from a group 1 car to a group 35 car?" Only a £97 charge for the rest of my policy (roughtly six months). Really pleased with that and certainly a lot cheaper than when i insured it last, 2 years ago.

That's because your an older git now ;)

T5RPete
Friday 9th May 2014, 16:38
So the rain has stopped briefly here so I quickly ran out to the garage to get all my crap out of the Volvo boot and put it into the Corsas boot. Once that was done, the Corsa was put in the garage (it's amazing how much space was left and shows how much smaller the car is compared to the 850) and I set about sorting the indicator.

I've found on both occasions the plugs get corroded buddy where the bulb pushes in ;)

My 850r insurance worked out £162 fully comp through swinton

Thank you very much Merc, you were spot on. I had a spare indicator lens in the glove box (orange tint) but it had the little plug on the back of it. I took the fitted one off and swapped it for this spare. Here's a side-by-side:

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/DSC_1501.jpg

Not sure if you can tell from this photo, but the one on the right (the one fitted to the car) is very corroded.

Put the replacement in, went and switched on the hazards and boom! Fixed!

Here was the 850 showing it's superiority over the Corsa:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/DSC_1502.jpg

and yes, before anybody mentions is, I know the rear is way too high! My priority is getting it on the road then buying engine-go-faster bits. :)

All ready now for it's mot tomorrow. The car has done roughly 6,000 miles in 2 years and 6 months. (Averages out at 200 miles per month, but of course it's hardly moved for nearly 2 years)

The Flying Moose
Friday 9th May 2014, 20:19
Good luck with the mot tomorrow Pete! I expect a trip out in your successful return ;)

T5RPete
Saturday 10th May 2014, 08:35
So I've successfuly managed to get to the garage for the MOT. Had a couple of instances of smoke on acceleration, but I mean 2 instances in 130 miles. Not sure if that needs to be looked into...

Also when I stopped the car at the garage and turned the engine off, I had some steam from the. Coolant expansion tank. Think there may still be an air lock in the system perhaps

Nealevo
Saturday 10th May 2014, 09:21
130 mile!!!! Is there not a closer MOT station???? But good luck.

T5RPete
Saturday 10th May 2014, 10:55
Haha. Same reaction I get from everybody. This is a friendly MOT tester :-) As im so close to home, I may take a detour to Shropshire for the night for a curry at my parents house.

T5frankie
Saturday 10th May 2014, 11:07
i think you'll have a hard time perseuding the old bill that your nearest mot station is 130 miles away, what if it fails? those anpr cameras will pick you up

AndysR
Saturday 10th May 2014, 11:10
I'm with Neal.. 130 miles lol there must be more than 1 friendly mot tester in the uk... But then any excuse to drive the 850 over a nice distance is surely worth it :)

Fingers crossed the smoke and steam are nothing serious and just everything settling down into commission again after being laid up for so long, although it might be worth checking the header tank and cap out as they have a tendency to crack with age/fatigue...

Good luck with the mot though, hope it all goes well :)

T5RPete
Saturday 10th May 2014, 11:41
The law says nothing about driving to the nearest test station, just that you have to be booked in for an MOT :-)

T5RPete
Saturday 10th May 2014, 11:42
Yeah fingers crossed. Other that that it drive superbly all the way here :-)

merc85
Saturday 10th May 2014, 11:49
Yeah fingers crossed. Other that that it drive superbly all the way here :-)

Good luck with the Mot buddy :)

T5RPete
Saturday 10th May 2014, 15:08
Ok so it's getting a new o/s/f lower wishbone bush and an o/s/f wheel bearing then im back on the road!!

V70 Graham
Saturday 10th May 2014, 15:10
Glad to hear that, not too bad a result.

T5frankie
Saturday 10th May 2014, 15:33
So he wasn't that friendly then LOL

stribo
Saturday 10th May 2014, 15:37
Not too bad then.

smithy
Saturday 10th May 2014, 15:39
We're did you take the car for mot then and that's not bad at all for a a mot fail

AndysR
Saturday 10th May 2014, 20:54
Not a bad result for a car that's been stood for around 2 years.

T5RPete
Sunday 11th May 2014, 14:23
Yep, quite happy with that result.

The offside front wishbone ball joint was very, very perished. As the ball joint doesn't come separate to the arm, the arm was replaced.

Before:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/DSC_1508.jpg

Fitted:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/DSC_1512.jpg

And the new wheel bearing:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n444/petert07/My%20850T5R/DSC_1511.jpg

Apologies for the dodgy phone pics!

The Flying Moose
Sunday 11th May 2014, 15:27
Whats leaking there Pete? Looks like a split CV boot from the angle but I guess it could be some penetrating spray...

T5RPete
Sunday 11th May 2014, 17:16
Whats leaking there Pete? Looks like a split CV boot from the angle but I guess it could be some penetrating spray...

Erm... What??

merc85
Sunday 11th May 2014, 17:18
Erm... What??

think he maybe refering to the inner cv gaiter, Well done mate looking good

T5RPete
Sunday 11th May 2014, 17:56
think he maybe refering to the inner cv gaiter, Well done mate looking good

I still have no idea what that is?

Cheers man.

merc85
Sunday 11th May 2014, 18:02
I still have no idea what that is?

Cheers man.

In the 1st pic buddy, where the drive shaft goe's into the gearbox/engine, the rubber boot looks wet, possible grease. no probs bud

smithy
Sunday 11th May 2014, 18:38
Nice job you was at hlm then my v40 is there at mo for a remap

AndysR
Sunday 11th May 2014, 20:17
Nice swift work there! No time wasted :)

T5RPete
Monday 12th May 2014, 18:44
In the 1st pic buddy, where the drive shaft goe's into the gearbox/engine, the rubber boot looks wet, possible grease. no probs bud

Right. It could be that the car had only just come inside from being driven in the pouring rain, or it could be something amiss. Not sure. Will have to wait til I can get it up on the ramps.

Nice job you was at hlm then my v40 is there at mo for a remap

'Fraid not.

Right, another quick update; Emlyn and I discovered a fuel leak last night. The small fuel line going between the metal pipes that run over the top of the engine and the injector rail had perished, quite badly at both ends and split in the middle. This was leaking a significant amount of fuel even at idle.

Solution: The breakers yard that is his garage had some spare fuel hose in stock, so we were able to replace it there and then.

As Emlyn quite rightly pointed out, it's a miracle the engine had not caught on fire! I did 400 miles over the weekend and that leak was probably there the whole time.

No pictures unfortunately as it was getting rather dark by the time we'd got it fixed.

AndysR
Monday 12th May 2014, 19:51
Right. It could be that the car had only just come inside from being driven in the pouring rain, or it could be something amiss. Not sure. Will have to wait til I can get it up on the ramps.

'Fraid not.

Right, another quick update; Emlyn and I discovered a fuel leak last night. The small fuel line going between the metal pipes that run over the top of the engine and the injector rail had perished, quite badly at both ends and split in the middle. This was leaking a significant amount of fuel even at idle.

Solution: The breakers yard that is his garage had some spare fuel hose in stock, so we were able to replace it there and then.

As Emlyn quite rightly pointed out, it's a miracle the engine had not caught on fire! I did 400 miles over the weekend and that leak was probably there the whole time.

No pictures unfortunately as it was getting rather dark by the time we'd got it fixed.

That same thing happened to mine when I left it over the winter months, to anyone with a similar car I'd certainly advise that this pipe is checked and if possible replaced :)