PDA

View Full Version : boost controllers

antz
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 21:49
Now guys and girls...

what boost controllers are you all running and why did you choose that one?

Ive been looking around at what to get for th 245 when its done and other than them being stupidly expensive I was learning towards a Gizzmo MS-IBC based purely on the price at £195 from Driftworks and the fact that Driftworks sell them which are a well known company that sells top notch stuff so I figured for them to sell it it must be a good one (the only other one they list is HKS Evo IV) http://www.gizzmoelectronics.co.uk/Product_MSIBC.html

Other than that I was looking at Blitz ones but theres so much choice and again the price of a used Blitz Boost Controller is ludicrous even imported from Japan where they seem to be cheaper.

recommendations please guys!

LiamT4
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 21:57
Depends if want something thats simple to use, but does its job very well, then something like the blitz dual sbc is very good, or if you want something that has more options, you could go with something like the apexi avcr.

They all seem very expensive when new, but if you can be patient and keep looking there will be bargains out there.

antz
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:09
Thats part of the problem, theres so much choice out there Im really lost with what to get. Buying used does seem the best option but theres always missing insutrctions, no solenoids, chopped wires or who knows if it works and buying new is crazy.

The Gizzmo is only £195 new!

I had a look at the Blitz ones but got confused over SBC, DBS, S-Spec and R-Spec, all of which seemed outrageously priced :(

I just cant decide and tbh I know nothing about them to be able to compare whats best.

LiamT4
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:13
Thats part of the problem, theres so much choice out there Im really lost with what to get. Buying used does seem the best option but theres always missing insutrctions, no solenoids, chopped wires or who knows if it works and buying new is crazy.

The Gizzmo is only £195 new!

I had a look at the Blitz ones but got confused over SBC, DBS, S-Spec and R-Spec, all of which seemed outrageously priced :(

I just cant decide and tbh I know nothing about them to be able to compare whats best.

The blits spec s can run boost up to about 1.3 bar, the spec R can go up to about 2.5.

Well from what i'v read something like the blitz sbc is very simple to fit, were as ebcs like the apexi avcr can be more tricky and can take a while to get the best out of them.

I'm sure there will be someone on here that would help you fit one.

antz
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:21
fitting one isnt whats worrying me, I can do that no problem, its just working out which one would be a good one to get since theres so much choice out there and I would rather avoid the ones that have no instructions or bodged wires by a boy with a backwards cap who drives a Subaru.

Think somewhere I have a solenoid for a S-Spec Blitz one that I bought off T5-Pete a while back (If I havent lost it)

endo-t5
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:29
depends on whether you want to adjust boost for different situations as my mate has set his and never adjusts it even when drifting and on his old rb26 s13 used to lower the boost when drifting as using 460bhp was silly so used 350bhp on 0.8 bar instead lol

LiamT4
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:34
Depends what you want it for, if you just want something thats more reliable than an mbc and safer (less chance of boost spikes) then something like the blitz will be fine and also has the ability to have different settings, so you can run drive most of the time at something like 16psi, but when you fancy it you could just press a button and have 22psi.

Something like the apexi gives you the added extra of having different boost settings in each gear and the ability to bring the boost in earlier (up to a point, obviously this depends more on what turbo you are running).

antz
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:38
Depends what you want it for, if you just want something thats more reliable than an mbc and safer (less chance of boost spikes) then something like the blitz will be fine and also has the ability to have different settings, so you can run drive most of the time at something like 16psi, but when you fancy it you could just press a button and have 22psi.

Something like the apexi gives you the added extra of having different boost settings in each gear and the ability to bring the boost in earlier (up to a point, obviously this depends more on what turbo you are running).

From what youve said there the Blitz one sounds more like my kind of thing. Looks like I best get saving my pennies and keeping an eye on eBay for a cheap Blitz S-Spec as well as trying to find out where I put that solenoid I bought....hmm.....

LiamT4
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:41
Sure theres a couple of people on here that have them, woodyt5 definatly has one (may be the R spec though) and his is a rocket ship.

antz
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:44
Sure theres a couple of people on here that have them, woodyt5 definatly has one (may be the R spec though) and his is a rocket ship.

I think when Dean took me out in the silver bullet he was boosting 1.3 but mentioned he ran on the 1/4 mile at 1.4 so it must be the R-Spec he is running.

Thanks Liam, See you know more than you think and youve helped me a lot! :)

t5 pete
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:44
Ive got the better out of the 2 blitz one where you can run high boost and its brilliant i also like it how there is 4 setting you can set your car to for example
1-no boost
2-stock power
3-rica map 16psi
4-racing track 1/4mile etc 22psi

LiamT4
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:47
I think when Dean took me out in the silver bullet he was boosting 1.3 but mentioned he ran on the 1/4 mile at 1.4 so it must be the R-Spec he is running.

Thanks Liam, See you know more than you think and youve helped me a lot! :)

LOL
I think you can run slightly higher than 1.3 on the S, but not much more so could be possible he has the S spec.