PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter

Majesticpower
Sunday 21st August 2005, 22:33
Where do you guys get your oil filters from, if not from Volvo?

I bought one from halfrauds, but it apparears to just be the element part?

Anyone know how easy they are to change? or if anyone other then volvo do the full oil filter with casing?

MP.

Al115
Sunday 21st August 2005, 22:37
Doesn't the S60 have an element-based filter? I might be wrong, but I know my V70 (classic) does, and I didn't think they'd gone back to can-type ones?

Majesticpower
Sunday 21st August 2005, 22:43
Yeh i think it does mate, but i wasnt sure as to how to change it, and what tools may be needed?

MP.

Al115
Sunday 21st August 2005, 22:52
Ah OK, just get a large oil catch tray (the 5 litre ones get too full!) or make one yourself from an old container of something, a decent oil filter remover (I have a claw-type one that fits onto a wrench which well), the right socket for the sump plug and a spare washer for the sump plug. Don't think I've missed anything? yes I have you might need a new o-ring for the filter holder (normally comes with the replacement filter itself).

Oh and if you pop the new filter in the filter housing and then fill it up with oil, you'll minimise the number of times the engine turns over before it gets that lovely new oil through... and make sure the engine is vaguely warm so the old oil drains easily.

Enjoy.

Al115
Sunday 21st August 2005, 22:53
Oh and you'll need the new oil as well LOL :slap:

Majesticpower
Sunday 21st August 2005, 22:58
Yeh id have sued you had i blown my engine up for not mentioning the oil had you not! :remybussi

Problem is, i found i awkward trying to take the filter off, as i kept thinking i was going to bust it!

MP.

Al115
Sunday 21st August 2005, 23:04
Yeah they can be b*stard stiff!

Chris (SaffronC70) has a photo of how not to take the filter off... LOL

Rufe
Monday 22nd August 2005, 07:37
i would get one from your dealer. p/n 1275810

not too expensive (though ive sold hundreds im not sure of exact price off top of my head, but i think around £6)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 22nd August 2005, 11:37
You can get proper filter removers (which are like a very large socket) that goes on the end of a 3/8" rachet. I have a strap wrench and oil filter mole grips and use either depending on space.

SaffronC70
Monday 22nd August 2005, 20:55
no need for all that bother :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/spud747/trimmers_close.jpg

Chris