PDA

View Full Version : rods

nottsgreent5
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 21:31
might be bit of a daft one but can the rods in a t5 be changed with out taking the head off?

daza-b
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 21:37
might be bit of a daft one but can the rods in a t5 be changed with out taking the head off?

dont think so, may be wrong but i have always taken the head off as im sure the pistons have to go upwards?? maybe on other engines i dont know lol

Volvostorm
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 21:47
Plus, the crank gets in the way!

nottsgreent5
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 21:55
thanks for the advice lads thought as much lol think ill be looking for another 850 lol

Volvostorm
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 22:39
Its not tricky to get the head off, just a lot of bolts!

daza-b
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 22:43
if you wasnt so far away id help ya with it lol

Niles
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 22:43
You can leave the main lump in the car BUT need to remove the sump and the head.

nottsgreent5
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 12:46
TO be honest the cars past its best pretty sure im going to get another 850 and swap all the parts over bit of a shame as it went straight thru its mot with only 1 advisor last month lol

daza-b
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 12:51
TO be honest the cars past its best pretty sure im going to get another 850 and swap all the parts over bit of a shame as it went straight thru its mot with only 1 advisor last month lol

would be cheaper to buy an engine than a car ;)

smithy
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 12:57

it would be easier and cheaper to put another t5 engine in it like frankie did in his v70r.i dont think he paid alot for the engine and then he got it fitted and from what i have heard it runs well now.if you like the car and 850 t5s are going to start to because rare very soon mate,i would keep it.

nottsgreent5
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 19:08
thanks for the advice guys think im going to give it a few more days to make my mind up and see what out come i get from a R estate i should be going to look at soon lol