PDA

View Full Version : My T4 project almost ready! Very excited.

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 17:46
Now the project is really coming together and we should be able to at least start the beast by Friday. Wideband lambda may have to wait til next week before it goes off to be mapped. I'm am lucky to have a friend with his own workshop/business who is a qualified engineer. He has done most of the hard bits for me at a very good price!!

Here is the spec:

Fully forged engine bought from Al115,

Engine started life as a B4194T, the strong 1.9 T4 block.
ACL race bearings.
Forged EM28v H-beam conrods.
Venolia Drag-R pistons.
Full race cylinder head with 3-angled valve seats, enlargened squish chambers, cut-back valve guides, and optimised valve timing.
Rebuilt oil pump with uprated seal and pressure switch.
S60R water pump with deeper impeller.
Uprated head gasket.

- Tim Williams Custom ME7 exhaust manifold, 1 cylinder chopped and welded to fit the T4.

- Holset HE221W turbo, maybe not big enough but at the price I got it I will give it a try! I Usde a T3/T25 flange adaptor. Hardly any info on this turbo and I've heard figures from 300bhp to 400bhp from guys in Finland. Here is a link:

http://www.taloyhtiot.org/turbohuset/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=181

http://www.turbotec.com/henkiloautot/kilpaautot/bmwrox.php

- Garrett actuator from a 200SX with custom bracket. The holset actuator didn't start to open until 2 bar as they run 2bar from factory. I'm hoping to run 2 bar eventually after the inevitable teething problems.

- Inlet hosing to the turbo modded to fit the bigger compressor inlet, MAF pipework may still need modding yet.

- DMF to SMF conversion.

- New 850R clutch and pressure plate.

- Siemens 630cc injectors (will fit just before Unichip mapping).

- Custom huge alloy intercooler which ran over 400bhp on Ashoks T4. Was a straight drop in so no mucking around with pipework. It looks almost double the thickness and 40% longer.

- Full 3'' JT tuning decat exhaust with 1 silencer, wideband boss, post cat lambda spacer and modded downpipe for the Holset flange.

- Adjustable FPR.

- Return line added to the fuel system as T4's tend to lose pressure over 300BHP apparently. We have modded a T5 rail by chopping it and having a boss TIG welded to either end.

- Unichip Q+ to be fitted and mapped when/if we get the car running this week.

- Full MOT done a few weeks back.

The car looks 100% bog standard from the outside. My only plans are slight lowering with coilovers and a brake upgrade. Unless you know about cars you would think under the bonnet was standard too. Should be fun!!

I will do my best to get to some meets when it's done as I'm itching to put some faces to names. I will keep you guys posted.

Mitch.

stu_850t5
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 17:50
Jesus! You got a diff?

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 17:52
Nope LOL, the missus has had enough and I promised not to spend on it for a while as we're now broke lol

Jamest5r
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 17:58
Nice :)

Hope to see you at one of the 1/4 mile meets.

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 18:19
I will definitely be attending some this year. Never done it before so should be a right laugh!

Jamest5r
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 18:29
I will definitely be attending some this year. Never done it before so should be a right laugh!

It is mate and strangley highly addictive :)

bigrotch
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 18:30
That's abit of a animal u got there dude.. Hope ya got some new underpants for the first couple of runs lol

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 18:34
That's abit of a animal u got there dude.. Hope ya got some new underpants for the first couple of runs lol

lol!! If it's not an animal a Holset HX35 is going on haha. I chose my turbo as it's supposed to spool extra quick and still have good top end boost. I'm not a massive fan of lag but I also like big power so I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds! We will see.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 19:29
You started this yet mate????? hope all is ok i know what total rebuild's are like lol many a small problem.

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 19:57
It lives! Had a mare though today. Took it out for a test drive and it was cutting out on boost. Read codes and got MAF, lambda sensor and idle control valve. Changed MAF, lambda, plugs, coils but still the same. Checked all wiring and fuel lines which were all good. Turned out to be my eBay adjustable FPR. Swapped it for a cossie one and it's loads better. Still don't have car back though as I think we fecked the icv by cleaning it and I had to give the FPR back to my mate. Got another FPR coming in the morn. Anyone got a spare icv I can buy?

Turbo seems to spool ultra quick, I mean a bit too quick, I'm not sure it will be man enough but we are still to test it properly. It makes a bar by 2500 with actuator fully wound out and would prob make even more! Think the waste gate is sticking a bit so will investigate tomorrow.

The engine was very tappety at first as engine had been stood over a year but the quietened down quite a bit after a drive although still slightly audible.
The turbo sounds awesome while spooling and I removed the DV so gives a nice chatter now.

The 850r clutch and smf engage nicely with good pedal feel.

We have had no leaks or smoke so far (touch wood).

Looking forward to getting it mapped now once the other issues are sorted.

Al115
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 20:02
Excellent! Bet you are really pleased to see it coming together!

Al115
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 20:03
Traction-wise... you've got suspension, geometry setup, a diff (when funds allow), and some sticky tyres in the pipe, right?... right?... :)

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 20:05
Erm......Not for a while, just coil overs left in the budget. I'm sick of overtime so the rest can wait. Not bothering with a diff but will def get the brakes done.

bigrotch
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 20:10
if its the same icv as 850 t5 ive got one mate pm me

Jamest5r
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 20:12
Nice one hope the rest of the shakedown goes well :)

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 20:12
if its the same icv as 850 t5 ive got one mate pm me

Haven't got a clue mate, I'll try and find out! Thanks.

Al115
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 20:31
ICV... 99% sure I've got the one that came off the engine, mate.

Checking now.

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 20:33
ICV... 99% sure I've got the one that came off the engine, mate.

Checking now.

We used the inlet mani from the old engine as it had a different ICV Ithink. Didnt realise there are 2 different types. Ill find out which type I need 1st. Thanks mate.

Al115
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 20:37
Yes there are two types, one longer than the other, IIRC. The one I have is the shorter one (I've thrown two of the others away though!!! grrr).

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 20:41
Yes there are two types, one longer than the other, IIRC. The one I have is the shorter one (I've thrown two of the others away though!!! grrr).

I think I need the short one, will try and give my one another clean tomorrow and double check which one! Thanks.

martybelfastt5
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 21:10
looking good!

Al115
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 22:42
Got it if you want it...

t5_monkey
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 22:47
Now the project is really coming together and we should be able to at least start the beast by Friday. Wideband lambda may have to wait til next week before it goes off to be mapped. I'm am lucky to have a friend with his own workshop/business who is a qualified engineer. He has done most of the hard bits for me at a very good price!!

Here is the spec:

Fully forged engine bought from Al115,

Engine started life as a B4194T, the strong 1.9 T4 block.
ACL race bearings.
Forged EM28v H-beam conrods.
Venolia Drag-R pistons.
Full race cylinder head with 3-angled valve seats, enlargened squish chambers, cut-back valve guides, and optimised valve timing.
Rebuilt oil pump with uprated seal and pressure switch.
S60R water pump with deeper impeller.
Uprated head gasket.

- Tim Williams Custom ME7 exhaust manifold, 1 cylinder chopped and welded to fit the T4.

- Holset HE221W turbo, maybe not big enough but at the price I got it I will give it a try! I Usde a T3/T25 flange adaptor. Hardly any info on this turbo and I've heard figures from 300bhp to 400bhp from guys in Finland. Here is a link:

http://www.taloyhtiot.org/turbohuset/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=181

http://www.turbotec.com/henkiloautot/kilpaautot/bmwrox.php

- Garrett actuator from a 200SX with custom bracket. The holset actuator didn't start to open until 2 bar as they run 2bar from factory. I'm hoping to run 2 bar eventually after the inevitable teething problems.

- Inlet hosing to the turbo modded to fit the bigger compressor inlet, MAF pipework may still need modding yet.

- DMF to SMF conversion.

- New 850R clutch and pressure plate.

- Siemens 630cc injectors (will fit just before Unichip mapping).

- Custom huge alloy intercooler which ran over 400bhp on Ashoks T4. Was a straight drop in so no mucking around with pipework. It looks almost double the thickness and 40% longer.

- Full 3'' JT tuning decat exhaust with 1 silencer, wideband boss, post cat lambda spacer and modded downpipe for the Holset flange.

- Adjustable FPR.

- Return line added to the fuel system as T4's tend to lose pressure over 300BHP apparently. We have modded a T5 rail by chopping it and having a boss TIG welded to either end.

- Unichip Q+ to be fitted and mapped when/if we get the car running this week.

- Full MOT done a few weeks back.

The car looks 100% bog standard from the outside. My only plans are slight lowering with coilovers and a brake upgrade. Unless you know about cars you would think under the bonnet was standard too. Should be fun!!

I will do my best to get to some meets when it's done as I'm itching to put some faces to names. I will keep you guys posted.

Mitch.

I don't wanna concern you but I'm getting a semi just reading that spec!!

Can't wait to see how it goes :)

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 22:55
I don't wanna concern you but I'm getting a semi just reading that spec!!

Can't wait to see how it goes :)

Hahaha, well gotta get it running right first. The turbo is quite small but **** me does it spool. Cant wait crank it to 2bar!!

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 10th January 2012, 22:57
Got it if you want it..

Thank you Al, much appreciated. I'll double check mine tomorrow!!

mitchyboy01
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 20:47
Hi peeps. Little update on my progress today.

We took the car few a test runs up the duel carriageway and the more it revved the more the boost climbed. After hitting a bar we backed of as it was definitely boost creep and would've boosted and boosted til a big bang lol.

Took the car back the workshop and used a pump and gauge to test the actuator and wastegate function. We found that the actuator rod was at too much of an angle to effectively open the wastegate. We heated up the rod and bent an offset in it, which much improved things. Think we still have some tweaking as it's still creeping very slightly.

Anyway, a few more test runs and the smell of fuel from the vents!! Looked under the bonnet and the fuel rail was pissing fuel where the tig welder had obviously missed a bit. Anyway, had it welded back up and no more leaks.

Cossie FPR didnt turn up so found an old rover one for the time being, it's a bog standard 3 bar reg. Adjustable one to go on soon.

Cleaned the ICV again but idle is still far to low and is nearly stalling. When driving at Very low revs is a bit stuttery too. Not sure what's causing this.

The car still sounds quite tappety and doesn't seem to be getting better but no as bad as my RS turbo was lol

Running the car at 12 psi it feels very strong. I haven't got my AFR meter in yet so daren't turn it up anymore. God knows what it will be like at 2 bar. Can't wait =]

Al115, the ICV I need is the long one doh!!!

Mitch.

claymore
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 20:55
This thread is worthless without videos

mitchyboy01
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 20:59
This thread is worthless without videos

Lol have you tried using samsung kies!! Any file transfer turns into a mare. How do I post vids on here anyway?

claymore
Wednesday 11th January 2012, 21:02
Lol have you tried using samsung kies!! Any file transfer turns into a mare. How do I post vids on here anyway?
dont bother with samsung kiers just choose mas storage instead, then upload them to youtube :)

mitchyboy01
Thursday 12th January 2012, 21:39
Todays update, Got the boost sorted, running a nice 9 psi, pulls very strongly. Will leave the boost now until mapping, if I ever get that far!

The car sounds like tractor!! The tappety noise is a full on ''WTF is that'' type noise. Ill try and upload a vid later. Oil pressure is good and oil is Fully synth 5/30.

I hope it's not terminal!

Mitch.

mitchyboy01
Thursday 12th January 2012, 22:01
Listen to this!! Sounds worse with the close up vid but can't be healthy surely!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wipv6Sujb-E&feature=youtu.be

M-R-P
Thursday 12th January 2012, 22:17
Mine made a similar noise when I changed the oil, for about 3 or 4 seconds so I'm thinking oil starvation?

mitchyboy01
Thursday 12th January 2012, 22:26
Will have to check the oil pressure again then. How would they get oil starved with good oil pressure though?

Dan850r
Thursday 12th January 2012, 23:38
Stuck or sticking lifter? If it's been stood for some time?

claymore
Thursday 12th January 2012, 23:45
deffo sounds like a stuck lifter

mitchyboy01
Friday 13th January 2012, 00:31
Why would the noise be getting worse though? Any thoughts?

claymore
Friday 13th January 2012, 08:21
thinking about it, it's a new engine isn't it? have the falve clearances been set up properly yet or are they just rough clearances, you might want to check the valve clearances and be prepared to buy some shims, so make sure youve got a good micrometer.

mitchyboy01
Friday 13th January 2012, 08:45
No mate the engine is 5k old from Al115's T4. You need a cam locking tool from Volvo too.

claymore
Friday 13th January 2012, 08:47
No mate the engine is 5k old from Al115's T4.
That's not good then :(, still sounds like valve clearance though, if it is, it needs sorting quickly or you'll damage the cams

Al115
Friday 13th January 2012, 09:05
As per our PMs - that doesn't sound good! Hope that it's simple to sort.

mitchyboy01
Friday 13th January 2012, 14:26
A promising update!

When my car is idling and revving in neutral it just sounds like the tappets are slightly noisy. When I put the car under load on the road, it gets louder, off the throttle its quiet. I have had my head under the bonnet for a while today and found the manifold adapter plate T3/T25 gasket where it joins the manifold is leaking!! I think this is where the noise is coming from! hence when under load it's louder due to more exhaust gases exiting the engine. Tim williams told me to weld the adaptor to the manifold (yes he was right again). The reason I didn't heed the advice is I didn't want to ruin the manifold for future use with other turbos, so left it to see if it would seal just using a normal gasket. I'm hoping this is the cause, it would explain why it ''all of a sudden got louder''. Anyone else think this is the likely cause of the noise?

I will check it out when I'm in the workshop next and update.

Thanks, Mitch.

Jamest5r
Friday 13th January 2012, 14:52
Sounds likely mate, I put one of my exhaust mani gaskets on the wrong way and the sound was like metallic even though it was an air leak.

Al115
Friday 13th January 2012, 15:13
Hopefully, yes - it certainly seems a possibility! That'd be a nice easy fix.

mitchyboy01
Friday 13th January 2012, 17:26
Sounds likely mate, I put one of my exhaust mani gaskets on the wrong way and the sound was like metallic even though it was an air leak.

Hopefully, yes - it certainly seems a possibility! That'd be a nice easy fix.

I'm praying it is!!

bigrotch
Friday 13th January 2012, 17:40
sounds likely fella.....

T4Rick
Sunday 29th January 2012, 19:05
Do you have any pictures of your oil feed,return set up mate

mitchyboy01
Sunday 29th January 2012, 19:13
No pics yet but i'll try and sort some. I modded the standard return by heating and bending slightly, it almost fit anyway TBH. I have a braided feed from a cosworth which was cut to size and banjo crimped on by local hydraulic hose company.