PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spin City!

CAMO
Monday 20th December 2004, 19:44
My 850 t5 estate is the model without traction control, running standard ecu, bleed valve, and a few other minor mods. I have put after market 17" wheels on, which has improoved the handling and feel of the car, but even with the standard 250-260 hp the car is a bitch when it comes down to getting all those horses down on the road!
your comments please, and feedback from t5's with and without traction control! :shifty:

lance
Monday 20th December 2004, 20:25
My 850 t5 estate is the model without traction control, running standard ecu, bleed valve, and a few other minor mods. I have put after market 17" wheels on, which has improoved the handling and feel of the car, but even with the standard 250-260 hp the car is a bitch when it comes down to getting all those horses down on the road!
your comments please, and feedback from t5's with and without traction control! :shifty:

Having owned a m reg t5 with tracs and a R reg V70 with tracs I can safely say its almost a waste of time , it works only upto 30mph if you boot it 2nd at 30 at this time of year its almost certain to wheelspin , if you go for a racing standing start its almost certain to wheelspin and slow you down more so than if you wheel spin without it turned on , I have proved this at santa pod.
I have heard the later stabilty traction control fitted to later cars and Chris C70 has this is much better and works all the way through the gears.
Alas Im yet to try.

Mrsmopp
Monday 20th December 2004, 22:14
I have a RICA'd 850 (with tracs but never use it) and have found the best way to alleviate wheel spin is to feed the power in....

x

wright_t5
Tuesday 21st December 2004, 07:56
Indeed, agree with all that have commented, I have a TRACS controlled estate, although I have never felt it work, don't if it works, all the lights and switches work, but haven't stopped the wheels from spinning so far, it's an almost impossible task to stop the wheels from spinning when you give her some gas, makes driving more fun, although oversterr is a big problem, pulling out of turnings is a problem, striaght line is a problem if you give it too much, makes it what it is, a fun car to drive, and as has been said, if you "don't" want to spin, then feed the power in gently.... :shifty: Mine is more of a fun car, rather than a bitch, makes it a challange to see if you can read the road and power to get max acceleration without breaking free of the road :dgrin:

I have a friend with a twin turbo Supra, now that thing has traction that works.... but it bogs down big time when it kicks in... he drives with it switched off, it's safer, it doesn't leave you in the middle of the road with 10BHP!!! :eek:

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 21st December 2004, 09:46
I totally agree Wright! When you want a bit or hoorah henry then these cars are great fun to play with! Its all about knowing your cars and driving it accordingly! :sinner:

x

lance
Tuesday 21st December 2004, 11:07
yep very true, good to feed it in or find some anti slip like I did lastnight just enough to max her up in second just to feel that surge of t5 power

wright_t5
Tuesday 21st December 2004, 14:26
I had a Manual T5 Estate for a while, 5th gear syncro was gone so it crunched a bit, but I found it hard to drive fast, mainly cos you need to change gear so dam quick, along with all that clutch stuff, I found it too hard, I do a lot of town/M25 work so the Auto is a much much better car for that type of driving, along with the trim, this one is excellent, although I have a "surging" problem which is something that is driving me nuts, but apart from that only few problems, I could try and find out why the TRACS doesn't work, but hey, it's fun as it is... makes for a quick off the line at the POD, roll on the 23rd Jan.... nice cool, turbo grabing air that day... :thewave:

Merry Christmas to all out there and see you all sometime soon I guess at the POD..... :dgrin:

dannt5
Wednesday 22nd December 2004, 21:56
Totaly agree,ive had 3 T5s,1with tracs & apart from working on wet grass when towing its a waist of time & money.Pleased i didnt pay for it as an option when it was new!!