PDA

View Full Version : New management for VPCUK

Justin
Monday 2nd January 2012, 12:04
Hi all,

As you are aware there have been some mod changes over the past week and different people involved in the running of the site and forum.

The reason for this is that due to work commitments and other personal matters i cannot afford the time VPC deserves anymore. As of last week the forum has been acquired by its new owner/Administrator.

Santa (Richard) will be taking command of the site and forum from now on with Emlyn backing him up with technical issues and the upkeep of the vBulletin software. A formidable team to say the least with their respective knowledge.

I have run the site for 10 years but have been struggling to move further with it due to time and work, i felt that this was a poor reflection of what myself and the other people behind the scenes had built up over the years and it was time for change.
I will still be a part of the site and for now at least part of the mods team whilst things settle in and become second nature to the new crew.
I didn't want the site to turn into an advertising outlet solely to generate revenue, and despite the few paid advertisers had accomplished that. For me it was always about the community, its members and the brand. These beliefs are shared totally by the new owners of the site that have more time to take VPC forward.

It was a tough call for me having built the site up from scratch over 10 years, especially after the data center crash where we lost so much of the site due to their total incompetence!

So really all that is left for me to say is thank you to everyone that has made the forum what it is today, members and staff. I have loved running the site and being a part of such a fabulous community.
To all of the mods from over the years, a thousand thanks, i couldn't have done it without you, your input and help was invaluable.
Congratulations to Rich and Emlyn, i hope the values that we discussed are upheld and perhaps improved upon moving forward.

Best wishes to all of you for 2012, i will see you all around :)

M-R-P
Monday 2nd January 2012, 12:15
Wow - Justin, you should be proud of what you'be achieved and I'm sure the site is in good hands.

AndysR
Monday 2nd January 2012, 12:25
Thanks for taking the time to update us Justin, it's a shame you've decided to take a back seat but I understand your decision and take comfort in the fact that the forum will continue with it's new owners. Having met Emlyn and Richard personally I know they will have the sites best interests at heart and I am confident the site can continue in the way we have all become accustomed :)

The Flying Moose
Monday 2nd January 2012, 12:40
Justin, let me be the first to say thank-you. Your time and efforts have made this forum the place it is today. I cant imagine in the slightest the decision you made was an easy one and it will have without doubt pained you to "let the boat sail" as it were.

May I also take the time to Thank all the team for their efforts these past years and also thank moderators of old who have relinquished their responsibility but remained key members within our community.

On the whole there will be very few noticeable changes and most will be taking place in the background, those for instance as resolving the recent running issues. To that effect VPCUK should be for the most be alot quicker now due to a move to our new hosting facility.

The main day to day running of the site will continue to be run by the moderators and the management of the site by myself and Richard.

Finally I would like to thank all the site members for their continued support, as with all communities its you who makes this site happen.

Best Wishes

Emlyn

claymore
Monday 2nd January 2012, 12:46
That was a bolt from the blue, but I know the site will be in good hands :)

t5_monkey
Monday 2nd January 2012, 13:14
10 years of bringing sad-acts together to talk about their Volvos!

*applause*

This is the best community website I've ever used, it's a great shame to see you step down.

daza-b
Monday 2nd January 2012, 13:15
good luck in the future buddy and thanks again for a good site full full of the petrol headed nutters, what more can you ask for lol

Dangerous Dave
Monday 2nd January 2012, 13:47
Thank you for taking the time to start and keep this forum going for the last 10 years. Its a great achievement and its good to see there are people willing to take on the running of the forum.

Good luck with whatever you have planned for the future Oh Gracious Overlord.

And good luck Rich, Emlyn and the Team.

t5steve
Monday 2nd January 2012, 13:57
a big thanks to you for all your hard work.........have only been a member for a short while but was welcomed with open arms and have since recieved help from many forum members........i know how hard it is to make a forum work so hats off to you..............i am sure forum is safe in its new hands.............once again a BIG THANKS to you and good luck with future ventures....

Jamest5r
Monday 2nd January 2012, 14:52
Oh god were all doomed

LiamT4
Monday 2nd January 2012, 14:55
Oh god were all doomed

I'm with you there.

Porcine_Aviator
Monday 2nd January 2012, 15:06
Thanks so much Justin, your hard work and dedication has made the site and the club what it is today. The mods have been great and I know that the new managment will continue in your footsteps, or I'll send Tomcat around to sort them out :)

Thanks to everyone who has made the forum a place we all want to visit at least once a day.

Happy 2012 and may your business thrive and all your troubles be little ones.

Chris.

Porcine_Aviator
Monday 2nd January 2012, 15:09
Oh god were all doomed

Thank you Frazer, Tomcat you know where to stuff his sporran ? :)

PHIL V70R
Monday 2nd January 2012, 15:14
can we still have a place for are new dress and shoes....and draging...

Santa
Monday 2nd January 2012, 15:23
Hi All,

Apologies for my delayed reply. There is still a lot going on in the background.

Thank you Justin and Emlyn for your posts and thank you for the support you've shown over the last few weeks and looking forward to continuing to work with you both moving forward.

This is going to be a incomplete post as we are still moving through a transition period but to summarise events to this point and whats happening in the short term and what we are looking to achieve.

Before Christmas an asset transfer was completed from Justin. The asset transfer pretty much includes the sites domain names and content.

On the 22nd December due to a 6-7 hour ish outage we decided to move the site from it's existing hosting provision to a temporary hosting provision. Due to the rushed and un-planned nature of this migration the volvot5.co.uk domain stopped working for many for up-to 3 days afterwards. Various patches were made to reduce the reliance on the volvot5.co.uk domain which among other things served emotes. The migration also had the side effect where Talk Talk users have been having issues accessing the site. (The issue stems from a resolution issue caused by a Talk Talk DNS server not updating its cache, TalkTalk users are likely to see the same issues for any other websites that updated their DNS records over the Christmas period).

As stated the website is currently sitting on a temporary hosting provision. The server currently hosting the site is due to decommission and the best solution I could arrange over the Christmas period. (Even though performance and up time seem to be great). The site will be moving to a new cluster at some point in the next few weeks to allow the up time, resiliency and performance I believe this site deserves. (Also to avoid long outages that both this site and VOC have recently suffered).

Those concerned with the great loss of content in 1894 (or whenever it was) backups are taken once every 24 hours are are stored in 3 physically separate locations across two countries. This will be increased to 6 hourly backups once the new hosting infrastructure is in place.

Moving forward for the short term very little is going to change. There will be backend changes to improve resiliency and performance and there may be certain forum layout changes and rule changes. These changes aren't to disrupt the community but to enhance it.

All code changes are tested in various sandbox environments before being rolled out onto the real "production" site to ensure as much as we can that nothing breaks.

As stated by Justin he is going to remain around to help the continuing transfer and hopefully will consider to remain a key member of the community long term. Day to day running/administration of the forum will fall on Emlyn. (The Flying Moose - and thanks mate :-) ). The moderators are the same as before and I enjoy working with them.

Advertisers, I will contact you individually soon, though in the meantime please feel free to contact me if you have any concerns. (PM or use the contact us feature at http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/sendmessage.php).

Sorry for the long and boring post, we will continue to post announcements as they happen. Please feel free to contact me (PM or Contact us page) if you have any questions, suggestions, concerns or grievances.

Forgot to mention, I doubled the size of all your PM boxes......try to keep them clear :-p

Santa
Monday 2nd January 2012, 15:26
Oh god were all doomed

I'm with you there.

First strike!!! LOL

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys ;-)

can we still have a place for are new dress and shoes....and draging...

eeeerrrrmmmmm can we get back to you on that? ;-)

JUDGENINJA
Monday 2nd January 2012, 15:35
Congrats Santa, good to see the site will be in safe hands..

As one of the old school(still have a volvot5.co.uk sticker on my 850) I think I've been a member since 2004, I have spent many an hour helping(or causing trouble) here. Justin you were a star and even put up with calling in unannounced to your shop for a coffee. You've always made this site as easy and as welcoming as possible for the novice and expert amongst us. Lets hope it continues into the future..

Richard -you've got a lot of committed members you've got to keep happy!!! So good luck.

Justin
Monday 2nd January 2012, 15:45
And to this day you are always welcome judge :)

Santa
Monday 2nd January 2012, 15:48
Richard -you've got a lot of committed members you've got to keep happy!!! So good luck.

Cheers Wayne but we're only owning the assets and keeping the lights on to the meeting place. The community is the community and the members form and belong to the community. (Still love you all though).

claymore
Monday 2nd January 2012, 15:54
So, this explains the cryptic comment Rich made to me at the Christmas meet :)

Santa
Monday 2nd January 2012, 15:55
So, this explains the cryptic comment Rich made to me at the Christmas meet :)

Whats cryptic in saying I've spent my clutch money on something else Volvo related lol

mas
Monday 2nd January 2012, 16:02
I have been around the site for a few years now having owned the T5 for longer than any car I have ever owned in my 29 years of car owning. I can only say that I have always been very happy using the site , regardless of any potential possibility for 'changes or improvements'. I look after websites/forums too but always always for fun and social reasons. Lots of people seem to use websites now as either a revenue stream I.E pay to join or as a way to excercise their perceived power over people.

I have never seen anthing remotely like that here and have met and chatted to lots and lots of decent and helpful people. I would like to think that I'm one of them.

Long may VPCUK continue.

Regards

Mas

T5R+
Monday 2nd January 2012, 16:11
Justin - great job over the years. Tough rabble to keep control of but you (and the mods managed to do it).

Santa - all the very best, big boots to fill. Look forward to the development of the product.

Santa
Monday 2nd January 2012, 16:25
I have been around the site for a few years now having owned the T5 for longer than any car I have ever owned in my 29 years of car owning. I can only say that I have always been very happy using the site , regardless of any potential possibility for 'changes or improvements'. I look after websites/forums too but always always for fun and social reasons. Lots of people seem to use websites now as either a revenue stream I.E pay to join or as a way to excercise their perceived power over people.

I have never seen anthing remotely like that here and have met and chatted to lots and lots of decent and helpful people. I would like to think that I'm one of them.

Long may VPCUK continue.

Regards

Mas

I think if we started to charge people for the pleasure of joining the registration count would drop through the floor. (So that won't happen whilst I have a say). Also please be assured I'm not here on some power trip and in the background are creating governance policies to ensure no one gets to friendly with the ban stick etc.

For the most part the site will continue to be the site you've always enjoyed. (And the some part will be changes which will hopefully please the vast majority of existing and future forum members).

Justin - great job over the years. Tough rabble to keep control of but you (and the mods managed to do it).

Santa - all the very best, big boots to fill. Look forward to the development of the product.

I have size 14's...........joking aside I'm also looking forward to future developments. It gives me a chance to give back to and hopefully ensure the future of the community I've loved being a part of.

JUDGENINJA
Monday 2nd January 2012, 17:38
Santa - I want the silly Helicopter game back in the Arcade please..... it was the only game I was top of the tree at..

LiamT4
Monday 2nd January 2012, 17:53
I'd have thought emlyn would be too busy driving back and forwards to deans (among others) to look after the site. lol

Cheers justin for starting this site, its good to spend time on a friendly forum where people have a sense of humour and like to try different things with there cars.

Long may the forum continue.

The Flying Moose
Monday 2nd January 2012, 18:00
I'd have thought emlyn would be too busy driving back and forwards to deans (among others) to look after the site. lol

Cheers justin for starting this site, its good to spend time on a friendly forum where people have a sense of humour and like to try different things with there cars.

Long may the forum continue.

Well there is plenty of time to sleep when your dead isnt there!

I just like to get about Liam, whether that be someone helping me or me them.

Besides with the use of a smartphone I have access 24/7 ;)

Santa
Monday 2nd January 2012, 18:05
Santa - I want the silly Helicopter game back in the Arcade please..... it was the only game I was top of the tree at..

The what?!?!?! lol

I might have an old Atari 2600 in the loft?

Chad
Monday 2nd January 2012, 18:06
Oh god were all doomed

lol...dont worry james, me got your back!!

abdul
Monday 2nd January 2012, 18:56
Thank you Justin for all the time u spent on the forum to get it where it is today

Volvostorm
Monday 2nd January 2012, 21:41
I would also like to thank Justin for all his hard work put into this site, and wish Rich and Emlyn all the best with the up keep of the site :)

WOODY T5
Monday 2nd January 2012, 21:44
yeah well done justin for your hard work and all the best emlyn and rich keep up the good work

T5frankie
Monday 2nd January 2012, 21:47
emlyn and richard......... http://www.giftofcards.co.uk/images/cards/2246_1.jpg

Jamest5r
Monday 2nd January 2012, 21:54
emlyn and richard......... http://www.giftofcards.co.uk/images/cards/2246_1.jpg

Your soooooooooooo banned pmsl, was it worth it.....oh yes :)

merc85
Monday 2nd January 2012, 22:04
As above and shall continue tobe, Thanks Justin, And Welcome Santa/Emlyn

Hope ive spelt the names lol wright doh
my Memory is Sh** lol

Santa
Monday 2nd January 2012, 22:07

Waving the stick as a warning lol

T5frankie
Monday 2nd January 2012, 22:08
Waving the stick as a warning lol

keep your stick away from me mate lol

Santa
Monday 2nd January 2012, 22:09
keep your stick away from me mate lol

True, I wouldn't touch you with someone elses bargepole.

The Flying Moose
Monday 2nd January 2012, 22:10

Frankie, your not far off!!!

Here is the latest pic fighting over the ban stick

http://www.germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/images/sha-Tug-of-War.jpg

Now its time to introduce the rest of the team:

http://www.vitaminsforpitbulls.com/images/german-shepherd-Suppelements.jpg

Santa
Monday 2nd January 2012, 22:11
As above and shall continue tobe, Thanks Justin, And Welcome Santa/Emlyn

Hope ive spelt the names lol wright doh
my Memory is Sh** lol

Yeah, Santa is quite easy to spell though ;-)

T5frankie
Monday 2nd January 2012, 22:14

thats ok i have a plan
http://clausgermansausageandmeats.com/images/sausage.jpg

The Flying Moose
Monday 2nd January 2012, 22:16
thats ok i have a plan
http://clausgermansausageandmeats.com/images/sausage.jpg

Quality, ought to keep us occupied for a while :hilarious

Wobbly Dave
Monday 2nd January 2012, 22:17
Just to add my own personal thanks to the BIG J. Some of us are lucky enough to have been with him from the very beginning. I trust you will remain around. Without you this site would have collapsed a long time ago. I know how hard you worked to keep the thing spam/w@nker free.

Good luck to Richard & Emlyn - you have big boots to fill.

lance
Monday 2nd January 2012, 22:19
Congrats santa and good luck with everything Justin hope to see you soon before we are much older

merc85
Monday 2nd January 2012, 22:47
Yeah, Santa is quite easy to spell though ;-)

Im from Arwich tho lol, didnt go to skool pmsl

Jamest5r
Monday 2nd January 2012, 22:50

You looking at us :)

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jamesclancy/mylo004.jpg

t5 pete
Monday 2nd January 2012, 22:53
Lol i carnt get on the site for two days and look whats happend

Al115
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 10:52
Thanks, Justin, for establishing and managing the site and such a friendly community over these years. It's a pleasure to be part of.

Good luck Santa and team.

smithy
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 11:42
sorry to hear justin has handed over the rains of the forum and thankyou for doing a excellant job.but i know richard and emlyn are good and will run the forum to keep being the best volvo forum in the world.and richard being a brillant computer geneous and a good buisness head too like justin has ,so im looking forward to the future of vpchav should be good.oh sorry vpcuk lol

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 00:17
Running a forum (as my best mate Mark did with another) is a SIGNIFICANT pressure and often rather trying. All in all, VPCUK remains as the friendly forum - which is a testament to Justin and the team. Thanks for all your efforts!

AndysR
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 00:46
You looking at us :)

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jamesclancy/mylo004.jpg

Oooohh Let me guess....

Frankie on the floor, james to the right?... Question is what is my ex doing with you both?

t5_monkey
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 01:23
Thanks and goodbye from your users :) (according to 'another' forum anyway!)

http://www.freewebs.com/boilthechavs/chavGang.jpg

Santa
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 08:13

Goodbye?!?!?! eeerrrmmm what if I offer tracksuit vouchers?

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 11:22
Goodbye?!?!?! eeerrrmmm what if I offer tracksuit vouchers?

How about some VPCUK trackies and matching beanies?

t5 pete
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 17:24

How did they get a pic of us? never mid there only jealous there not in our crew.
Big it up vpc crew and respect to ya lol

BlackBeast
Saturday 7th January 2012, 13:09
Leaving forum wars and name calling aside, I offer my sincere congratulations to Santa & Emlyn for taking on VPC, I wish you good luck for the future and hope the two leading UK performance volvo forums can work along side each other for many years to come.

Santa
Saturday 7th January 2012, 16:28
Leaving forum wars and name calling aside, I offer my sincere congratulations to Santa & Emlyn for taking on VPC, I wish you good luck for the future and hope the two leading UK performance volvo forums can work along side each other for many years to come.

Yes, new era new slate :-)

t5_monkey
Saturday 7th January 2012, 17:20
Yes, new era new slate :-)

shouldn't that be.....

"Yes, new era, new slate, probably a new clutch" ? :)

Santa
Saturday 7th January 2012, 17:22
shouldn't that be.....

"Yes, new era, new slate, probably a new clutch" ? :)

It should be (awaiting new clutch delivery at the moment, SPEC just need the bearing to complete my order :-) )

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 7th January 2012, 17:25
So has Justin actually sold you the site?

Santa
Saturday 7th January 2012, 17:48
So has Justin actually sold you the site?

I've sent you a PM but it was an asset transfer which consists of the elements required to host this site.