PDA

View Full Version : Covering all bases - C70

the_boy
Sunday 21st August 2005, 19:33
Looking for some advice from Wobbly Dave or Aftershock on this one but if anyone else has an opinion please LET RIP!! :dgrin:

1998 C70 2.3 T5 GT - manual
Car has covered 92, 500 miles (FSH but I don't have all the recipts so don't know what's been fixed / replaced already) and I've just put 4 new Kumho KU31 tyres on it.

I can't seem to sell the car (as I wanted an 850 or V70 R) so have decided to keep it. Now that I've made my decision I want to get all the niggly bits on it sorted and uprate a few things at the same time. Hoping to get the car booked into VT before the end of this month for their free offer but I may be pushing for time.

Anyway, this is what I have marked for replacement

Car is due a service to include:
Halfords 5w40 fully synthetic
NGK BKR7EVX spark plugs
ITG air filter
Gearbox oil replacement

Upgrade:
ECU RICA remap (what's the new 0-60 times for a C70 T5 after the remap?)
Strut Brace
Dot 5.1 brake oil replacement
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines (are these worth bothering with?)
Ferodo DS2500 Brake Pads

Brembo disks 302mm (not sure if I need these, when the guy took the wheels off the other day I had a quick look and they didn't look warped to me but then I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. If the car has a high mileage like mine is it worth having them replaced anyway? I'm assuming mine is 302mm as standard...)

Monroe Reflex Front Shocks (same again, not sure if they need changing....bounced all 4 corners tonight and it was very stiff, bounced like once and that was it. If I get them changed should I get all 4 done or is it not worth it?)

The thing I want most out of the car is quick acceleration and handling. At the moment it just seems to slide out when I power it round corners. Apart from getting a strut brace and possibly replacing the shocks is there anything else I can do to make it stick to the road?

In addition to this it has a few problem areas...

Car jerks when first moving (especially in first) like it has to get up to a certain speed before it stops. I'm wondering if this is the clutch or just the way I'm driving it. How much would a clutch replacement be if this was the case?

Aircon needs regassing.

The drivers door lock has a habit of not coming up properly sometimes. It comes up and then drops back down. However if I press the fob twice it always comes up and stops up. Wondering if I could get this fixed whilst at VT and how much it might cost?

The dashboard seems to have a loose connection. If I start the car up everything on the dash lights up etc, the clock is working but the indicators don't work nor do the headlights. If I stop the car and restart it they start working again. This is very intermittent?? Again anyone know if this is something VT can fix or will I need to check it out with a local auto electrician?

The car also creaks when turning and can make an electrical groaning type of noise. Now I know the wheels are rubbing on the inside of the car and the steering stops need greasing but I'm also wondering if the steering motor is on it's way out. Again how can I tell if this is the case? Can VT replace one of these and should I get a 2nd hand unit or are they cheapish brand new?

How long do the turbos last on these models?

And lastly but not least does anyone know how much it would cost to get the doors re-hung? Don't really want to pay Volvo prices....it's not dead annoying but it's something I would like fixing if I'm going to keep the car for say another 5 years :D

I've possibly written too much here but any advice on any of this would be much appreciated!!

I'll shut up now :hidesbehi

Al115
Sunday 21st August 2005, 19:48
Here are some answers at random...

C70 doors are known for "slumping" as they are bigger than the V/S70 ones. You don't need a Volvo garage to realign them... any decent independent should be able to do this.

Turbo life varies wildly depending on how it's been treated. 120k seems to be an average age for a replacement from what I've heard, some go much earlier if they're abused.

Braided brake lines - I've fitted them but can't say I noticed any difference. My brakes are rubbish anyway (they're the 302s).

Shocks - I wouldn't change them unless your old ones are knackered, or unless you really want to uprate the handling. There are a number of options including the Monroes, other people fit Bilsteins, Konis... etc.

For handling, the strut brace and suspension will both help. Tyres are a major factor - compound, grip pattern, width.

As for the brake discs - you won't be able to tell their condition by looking at them (unless you're really good at it!) :)

Hope some of that helps.

After_Shock
Sunday 21st August 2005, 19:52
Firstly not sure on the choice of engine oil, would say go with the shell helix stuff as a first choice.

Strut brace is a definate, wont make mega difference but will help and is cheap. Brakes are a good choice and replace the discs and pads at the same time, cant complain about the DS2500 or Brembo selections. Brake lines could be worth doing now as the standard ones will be getting on a bit.

Wobbly is the best one to ask about the shocks but from experience and the miles your car has I would say get them done, personally I would go coilovers again but that was mainly for the height adjustability.

Other than suspension upgrades and the strut brace to stop it sliding out on corners is to change your driving style, you would have to anyway to a certain degree when you do the RICA otherwise lots of tyre smoke!

The electrical issues and noises I dont have an easy solution for, try VT first but if they cant help will have to seek a competent electrician probably.

The doors are a sod to re hang and I never found anywhere that could do them when I had mine but im sure somewhere will help, the later C70's have extra hinges on to prevent the problem so could be worth looking to upgrade the standard hinges.

Turbo life is very much a subjective thing with regards to maintenance and how the car has been driven, get VT to investigate when you get the RICA, could have 50k's life left in it or could be on its way out and not a good idea to get the RICA!

Hope thats of some use.

the_boy
Sunday 21st August 2005, 21:17
Fast responses, cheers guys :worship:

I have Shell Ultra Helix in at the moment and it was damn expensive. I did quite a bit of searching on here and a lot of people were recommending either Halfords or Magnatec....hmmmm.

The doors ain't too bad, if it's a few hundred quid though I'd definately get them done. I'll enquire about a hinge upgrade as the GF loves to let the thing swing :mgshoot:

As for coilovers? Sorry my car experience is very limited so am not sure what that entails? Would it be a spring and shocker replacement?

The tyres I have are Y rated 225/45/17, seems to stick quite well.

When you say change my driving style, in what way? What sort of times would I be expecting from the RICA upgrade?

I'd be hoping if I catch the offer I could get the turbo tested whilst I am there. If it's on it's way out I'll replace it almost immediately...

Like I said, thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming :B_steerin

After_Shock
Sunday 21st August 2005, 21:27
When I say driving style if you add another 60bhp through the front wheels you will have to ease off slightly coming out of the bends otherwise its just going to understeer really badly and spin the wheels loads!

Coilovers are basically a complete suspension replacement but allow you to adjust the stiffness of it and also the height that the car rides at.

Helix is expensive but thats for a reason its good stuff! With turbo'd cars its best to go with good oil to help keep the turbo cool.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Sunday 21st August 2005, 22:07
When I say driving style if you add another 60bhp through the front wheels you will have to ease off slightly coming out of the bends otherwise its just going to understeer really badly and spin the wheels loads!

Coilovers are basically a complete suspension replacement but allow you to adjust the stiffness of it and also the height that the car rides at.

Helix is expensive but thats for a reason its good stuff! With turbo'd cars its best to go with good oil to help keep the turbo cool.You can get the main things you need done at VT easy enough - Average Prices are Brakes n Pads £220 fitted, Rica + ITG + Plugs £635 in August, Suspension - £700 ish depending on choice etc. I would buy Synthetic Oil at Costco Wholesale, it's approved at the highest level going and £11.73, instead of braided hoses i would get poly bushes at £35 but 2 hr labour to change, maybe as well getting new wishbones altogether, i just had rica, brakes and suspension at vt and well happy.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 22nd August 2005, 12:04
I threw my C70 around Bruntingthorpe and was impressed with how well the Monroe reflex shocks coped. It would stay flatter with the Konis? but I like the subtle approach and on the road the monroes are wicked, after all the C70 is a fast road car and need to be able to cope with our wonderful roads.

I have no idea bout 0-60 in the C70 but with my 19T it isnt much more than 5.5 (guessing).

Brakes: DS2500 pads are fantastic - never fade and give great stopping power.

I wouldnt use halfords oil - just coz you don't know what is in it. There are many more additives in the modern oils and name branded ones are the ones I would go for. But that is just me.

VT can do all the electrical investigations - I guess it is just down to time and money really. The door lock if I was looking at it - I would remove the card, take the plug out of the CL motor and spray with rocket to ensure good connection and spray the lock mech to ensure nothing is sticking.

VT can replace your PAS motor if you need to. It is not possible to diagnose the noise via the forum. Get it checked.

I am sure you would be able to sell if you put it in the right place, for the right money which IMHO is somewhere around £5.5K