PDA

View Full Version : Dual Mass Flywheel

smithson007
Saturday 31st December 2011, 11:00
Hoping somebody can help me with this one.

What are the signs that you DMF is on there way out?

The symptoms that i have at the min are( when starting the car and sitting at idle you can here a constant clunking noise but goes as soon as you dip the clutch also im now getting bad vibrations through the bulkhead at low revs but again this goes when clutch is depressed).
Ive been told that dual mass flywheels are a bit of a nightmare and a single flywheel is the better way to go.
I have a receipt that shows the car had a full new clutch inc. DMF approx 30k miles ago.
Could it have gone already and would running extra boost make this go faster.

Thanks very much Andy.

The Flying Moose
Saturday 31st December 2011, 11:04
Does the car shudder when pulling away in first? The reason I asked is that most flywheels I have had to replace or that have been imbalanced shuddered.

smithson007
Saturday 31st December 2011, 11:09
Does the car shudder when pulling away in first? The reason I asked is that most flywheels I have had to replace or that have been imbalanced shuddered.

The dash vibrates quite a bit and it never did untill the other day. I notice it more in reverse when its underload like reversing up a slope or over a bump.

t5_monkey
Saturday 31st December 2011, 11:44
Shuddering while pulling away and under full load at higher revs are typically the symptoms for a duff DMF from what I've read.

Niles
Saturday 31st December 2011, 11:56
got a spare single mass flywheel if you decide to rid yourself of the DMF.

smithson007
Saturday 31st December 2011, 11:59
I dont know alot about clutches really. Is the DMF always spinning even when car is in neutral or clutch is pressed?

smithy
Saturday 31st December 2011, 12:44
dmf are heavy and crap realy best stick a smf in .you will have to check if the 850 one can be used with the internal slave cylinder if not then ttv racing do one.and then you can fit an 850r clutch even better.

smithson007
Sunday 1st January 2012, 22:54
If i do away with my DMF and replace it with a SMF do i need to replace the clutch at the same?
Do DMF warp and could it make the car shudder even when its just sitting idling?

p fandango
Sunday 1st January 2012, 22:59
the D5 i drove with a knackered DMF was fine at low revs & when pulling away, i test drove the same as i drove my car & was it fine. It wasn't till my bro jumped in & gave it a thrashing that the car vibrated really bad over 3krpm

smithson007
Sunday 1st January 2012, 23:04
At the min i can be sat in traffic with the car in neutral and if you rest your foot on the clutch pedal you call feel a vibration through it and the whole car always has a little shudder all the time when its at idle.

smithson007
Sunday 1st January 2012, 23:06
dmf are heavy and crap realy best stick a smf in .you will have to check if the 850 one can be used with the internal slave cylinder if not then ttv racing do one.and then you can fit an 850r clutch even better.

Yes ive been told an 850r clutch is the way to go. What the difference from a normal clutch?

smithy
Sunday 1st January 2012, 23:31
Yes ive been told an 850r clutch is the way to go. What the difference from a normal clutch?

alot heavier duty mate can take over 400 bhp .the are 2 types make sure you get the right one ,some one on here will have the part number for you mate ask pedro

p fandango
Sunday 1st January 2012, 23:43
some one on here will have the part number for you mate ask pedro
these are the number i've got

Clutch Kit, B5234T5: [271956]£205ish
Release Bearing: [9181780]£37ish
Clutch Cover Bolt, x6: [959219 x6]£3ish

smithson007
Sunday 1st January 2012, 23:52
these are the number i've got

Clutch Kit, B5234T5: [271956]£205ish
Release Bearing: [9181780]£37ish
Clutch Cover Bolt, x6: [959219 x6]£3ish

Spot on mate cheers

graemewelch
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 17:57
you cant use a dmf with a solid flywheel

smithson007
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 18:55
you cant use a dmf with a solid flywheel

Im doing away with the DMF on my car and replacing it with a SMF and a full new 850r clutch

Kingsford G
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 18:58
Hoping somebody can help me with this one.

What are the signs that you DMF is on there way out?

The symptoms that i have at the min are( when starting the car and sitting at idle you can here a constant clunking noise but goes as soon as you dip the clutch also im now getting bad vibrations through the bulkhead at low revs but again this goes when clutch is depressed).
Ive been told that dual mass flywheels are a bit of a nightmare and a single flywheel is the better way to go.
I have a receipt that shows the car had a full new clutch inc. DMF approx 30k miles ago.
Could it have gone already and would running extra boost make this go faster.

Thanks very much Andy.

A new DMF mate.Deffo.Or SMF.But yrs on its way out.

smithson007
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 19:09
A new DMF mate.Deffo.Or SMF.But yrs on its way out.

Yes im going to go for a SMF mate. Think its a better way to go. My clutch release bearing has gone to so replacing the whole lot.

Kingsford G
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 19:13
Yes im going to go for a SMF mate. Think its a better way to go. My clutch release bearing has gone to so replacing the whole lot.

Get an R clutch,more money but stronger and SMF lasts long time.