PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox oil - 1.9 litres out, 1.5 litres in...???

jim_from_surrey
Sunday 21st August 2005, 18:12
Just changed the transmission oil on my 850 T5 - 1.9 litres came out, but i cant get more than 1.5 litres in!!

As i undid the filler plug it started to come out a fair bit - i was surprised as i think i may have a leak somewhere....

anyway, drained it and measured what came out - 1.9 litres - i thought it was sposed to be 2.2litres???

Using a queezy bottle i cant seem to get more than about 1.5 litres in before it starts dribbling out the filler as i'm putting it in.

The car was on the level - in fact if anything wa slightly up on the l/h side, meaning i'd get slightly more in than if it was dead level.

Whats happening here??

box seems to change sweet with no real noises

thanks guys

nobananas
Monday 22nd August 2005, 21:44
Can you be sure that it hasn't been overfilled at some time, maybe topped up whilst parked on a slope. That would explain why you can't get the same amount in whilst on the level.

Not_Gwaredd
Monday 22nd August 2005, 21:50
I'm pretty sure you have to fill them with the engine running. Haynes is your friend. They're an expensive thing to be messing with.

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

jim_from_surrey
Monday 22nd August 2005, 23:59
neither the haynes or vardis mention having the engine running.
i did wonder if i had an "airlock" somewhere so drove it up and down the street once to churn it up a bit and rechecked, but the same!

possible that it was overfilled in the past although it has volvo maindealer stamps up to 26k miles ago (140k) so i would hope not!!