PDA

View Full Version : Angle gear confusion - is it shot?

Leeds_finest
Friday 30th December 2011, 16:23
Right guys,

I managed to gain access to a 'two poster' car ramp today at my friends workshop. I wanted to have a general look underneath the car to make sure none of the transmission fluids were leaking etc and to check that my AWD was actually working.

With all four wheels off the ground and the car suspended in the air, i switched the engine on, put the car into first gear and let the clutch out. The front wheels were spinning but the prop shaft wasn't...

...is my angle gear shot?

The car doesn't really torque steer and just seems to spin in the wet weather - but surely everything FORWARD of the Haldex (prop shaft, gearbox, front drive shafts and wheels) should be spinning right? The prop shaft was definitely stood still with no movement.

Santa
Friday 30th December 2011, 16:51
Right guys,

I managed to gain access to a 'two poster' car ramp today at my friends workshop. I wanted to have a general look underneath the car to make sure none of the transmission fluids were leaking etc and to check that my AWD was actually working.

With all four wheels off the ground and the car suspended in the air, i switched the engine on, put the car into first gear and let the clutch out. The front wheels were spinning but the prop shaft wasn't...

...is my angle gear shot?

The car doesn't really torque steer and just seems to spin in the wet weather - but surely everything FORWARD of the Haldex (prop shaft, gearbox, front drive shafts and wheels) should be spinning right? The prop shaft was definitely stood still with no movement.

The propshaft is permanently live (I believe). Bring it round mine and I'll see if the AWD is working or not

t5_monkey
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:04
Caning it in the wet in 1st or 2nd with 45psi in the tyres should let you know if the AWD is working fairly quickly I would have thought :)

Santa
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:06
Caning it in the wet in 1st or 2nd with 45psi in the tyres should let you know if the AWD is working fairly quickly I would have thought :)

Wouldn't even need high pressures and potentially spin the wheels in 3rd as well

Leeds_finest
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:13
The propshaft is permanently live (I believe). Bring it round mine and I'll see if the AWD is working or not

Posted up on Swedespeed and they said the prop shaft should be spinning as you said Rich.

I think it depends on the extent of damage as to whether or not it's brown bread - but it would look like i've 100% not got AWD at the moment.

...great, I best get my piggy bank out of the cupboard.

Santa
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:24
Posted up on Swedespeed and they said the prop shaft should be spinning as you said Rich.

I think it depends on the extent of damage as to whether or not it's brown bread - but it would look like i've 100% not got AWD at the moment.

...great, I best get my piggy bank out of the cupboard.

Might just be the spline and not the angle gear? Only way to find out is to get the angle gear taken off.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:42
I believe there is a shim for the splines if they are not completely knackered right?

Santa
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:46
I believe there is a shim for the splines if they are not completely knackered right?

Replacement spline kits only £150 ish if I remember correctly. Just a pain in the arse to replace.

Leeds_finest
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:48
Might just be the spline and not the angle gear? Only way to find out is to get the angle gear taken off.

Yes apparently could be the collar and not the whole unit.

I'll have to get it off over the next few weeks and take a closer look.

Leeds_finest
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:50
Can you clarify this so I get it straight in my head?..

1. BOTH the transmission and the angle gear have a shaft coming out of them.

2. The collar sleeves over both of these input/output shafts.

3. If you strip the collar and catch it early enough you can replace the collar and all is ok.

4. If you damage the teeth on either the angle gear shaft or the gearbox shaft, you are looking at replacing the whole units?

Have I got that right or am I still far off?

Santa
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:52
Yes apparently could be the collar and not the whole unit.

I'll have to get it off over the next few weeks and take a closer look.

Not sure you want to be driving it round much with the AOC disconnected. I don't know if the AOC clutch would still engage potentially causing damage to the AOC or other connected hardware.

Either way if you decide to risk driving it just be careful :-)

Santa
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:55

3. If you strip the collar and catch it early enough you can replace the collar and all is ok.

4. If you damage the teeth on either the angle gear shaft or the gearbox shaft, you are looking at replacing the whole units?

Sounds right to me. (Though I'm not that much an expert as Benny sorted mine out).

Dangerous Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:58

Yep

Yep, the sleeve is splined on the inside and these splines usually wear down.

If its early enough yes (ish), at the least some wear will be caused to either the gearbox or angle gear shafts (or both)

Yes, its a harsh reality.

Finding a good gearbox could be a challenge (or at leat a cheap one). You could get a knackered awd gearbox with a good diff and swap it over (I stripped my gearbox down to do this)

Sounds like you have it pretty sussed, apart from the fact its a big job, and if the gearbox is knackered then its a mahoosive job :(

Dangerous Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 18:00
Some pics of my AWD system (although old, yours won't be too much different).

Angle gear
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/angle%20gear/15082009152.jpg

Sleeve (worn splines arrowed)
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/angle%20gear/15082009153.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/angle%20gear/15082009154.jpg

Gearbox output (Manual gearbox) With worn splines
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/angle%20gear/15082009157.jpg

Leeds_finest
Friday 30th December 2011, 18:01
Not sure you want to be driving it round much with the AOC disconnected. I don't know if the AOC clutch would still engage potentially causing damage to the AOC or other connected hardware.

Either way if you decide to risk driving it just be careful :-)

Sounds right to me. (Though I'm not that much an expert as Benny sorted mine out).

Cheers Rich.

Well, i've been driving it round for god knows how long now with knackered AWD.. can't imagine i'll do much more damage :(

May have to borrow a van from my dad.

Leeds_finest
Friday 30th December 2011, 18:04
Some pics of my AWD system (although old, yours won't be too much different.

Thanks for the detailed help.

It's really disappointing to be honest, I could potentially have been driving round in it like this for ages.

I've heard angle gear removal is easy, but the collar can seize itself onto the gearbox shaft?

I REALLY hope it's not a 'gearbox off' job :(

Dangerous Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 18:09

It's really disappointing to be honest, I could potentially have been driving round in it like this for ages.

I've heard angle gear removal is easy, but the collar can seize itself onto the gearbox shaft?

The angle gear removal isn't an easy job unfortunately as the steering rack crash protection and pump pipes get in the way (I don't think this is an issue on the LHD models, only our RHD models have these problems)

Yes the collar can 'lock' onto the worn splines on the gearbox. I did one recently, and I had to use a chisel to remove the sleeve.

Santa
Friday 30th December 2011, 18:22

Hope for the best yet prepare for the worst, I'd probably done a few hundred fast miles in mine when the anglegear went, luckily the gearbox was fine

Leeds_finest
Friday 30th December 2011, 18:45
The angle gear removal isn't an easy job unfortunately as the steering rack crash protection and pump pipes get in the way (I don't think this is an issue on the LHD models, only our RHD models have these problems)

Yes the collar can 'lock' onto the worn splines on the gearbox. I did one recently, and I had to use a chisel to remove the sleeve.

Oh great! I thought the angle gear was meant to be a doddle to remove? Typical, that's because I used to post on a yank forum (LHD models).

Hope for the best yet prepare for the worst, I'd probably done a few hundred fast miles in mine when the anglegear went, luckily the gearbox was fine

To be honest Rich, I couldn't even say when mine went. It may not have even gone under my ownership.

There was no sudden bang or pop - just routine inspection today.

It's all nuts and bolts at the end of the day, could have happened at a more cash free time, though.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 19:14
Worst case scenario is that both angle gear and gearbox need replacing. The sleeve alone costs around £80, god only knows how much a secondhand gearbox costs, let alone a new one! SH angle gears I tend to find vary in price depending on how much the seller knows about the rarity of them.

Hope all is not too bad though buddy. At least you know what the worst is.

Leeds_finest
Friday 30th December 2011, 19:19
Worst case scenario is that both angle gear and gearbox need replacing. The sleeve alone costs around £80, god only knows how much a secondhand gearbox costs, let alone a new one! SH angle gears I tend to find vary in price depending on how much the seller knows about the rarity of them.

In all honesty, I wouldn't bother if that was the case.

Typical as well how you cannot purchase just the shaft, the whole unit needs replacing, how clever :mad:

Cheers

Leeds_finest
Friday 30th December 2011, 19:31

Where abouts are you based? Would you be able to give me a chuck if needed?

Thanks

Jamest5r
Friday 30th December 2011, 20:06
He's on the dark side of the M5 :)

Santa
Friday 30th December 2011, 20:35
He's on the dark side of the M5 :)

Even though hes quite close to the dark side I believe he's actually on the bright west slight of the M5.....West side is the best aiii

Leeds_finest
Friday 30th December 2011, 20:55
Even though hes quite close to the dark side I believe he's actually on the bright west slight of the M5.....West side is the best aiii

Got any idea of the cost of your A/G replacement?

Someones mentioned approx £1,750 parts and that's if the gearbox HASN'T sh*t itself... surely not?

Leeds_finest
Friday 30th December 2011, 21:44
So how will I know whether or not the angle gear shaft teeth are dead or not? I take it there's varying degrees of wear, not just dead or alive?

A certain degree of wear will not require replacement... i'm guessing?

Santa
Friday 30th December 2011, 21:47
Got any idea of the cost of your A/G replacement?

Someones mentioned approx £1,750 parts and that's if the gearbox HASN'T sh*t itself... surely not?

If I remember correctly it was better value than the Haldex controller replacement. Around £1500+ with labour I think. (Could be wrong though).

On degree of wear, not sure but I suspect if the collar gear grips to the splines then all should be good though may not be good for long.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 21:59
On degree of wear, not sure but I suspect if the collar gear grips to the splines then all should be good though may not be good for long.
Yup, its a case of how long you wanty it to last. It is probably likely that the other parts have worn as a result of the worn sleeve.

My angle gear was worn but the new sleeve fitted nicely with no movement so I didn't replace that, but the gearbox splines had worn down as much as the sleeve had so needed replacing. I was gonna look into getting a new diff made up or getting a company to recon the old one, but never got round to it.

The bit I replaced in my gearbox, note the output shaft for the angle gear is built into the outer diff unit.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/15092009186-1.jpg

Dangerous Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 22:02
So how will I know whether or not the angle gear shaft teeth are dead or not? I take it there's varying degrees of wear, not just dead or alive?

A certain degree of wear will not require replacement... i'm guessing?
Here is a pic of some wear on the splines of the sleeve, the angle gear/gearbox wears pretty much the same depending on how far the wear has gone. You can see what the original height/shape of the splines was further in the sleeve before the gap.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/Splines.jpg

LeeT5
Saturday 31st December 2011, 14:29
Angle gear price as at August 2009 is £756.
Angle gear service kit £89.
Angle gear oil £23.
+ Labour and VAT.

Is there evidence of leaking oil from your Angle gear box? Its this that causes the Splines to tear themselves out as they overheat.

Have the AWD checked by a competant technician at Volvo before you condem the Angle Gear.

I feel yer pain dude. Mine was all replaced at 101k by the previous owner (thank ££££)
The Bill was £2200 but did include a new shock absorber and TCV.
There was also some discount in there too.

Leeds_finest
Saturday 31st December 2011, 16:08
If I remember correctly it was better value than the Haldex controller replacement. Around £1500+ with labour I think. (Could be wrong though).

Yup, its a case of how long you wanty it to last. It is probably likely that the other parts have worn as a result of the worn sleeve.

My angle gear was worn but the new sleeve fitted nicely with no movement so I didn't replace that, but the gearbox splines had worn down as much as the sleeve had so needed replacing. I was gonna look into getting a new diff made up or getting a company to recon the old one, but never got round to it.

The bit I replaced in my gearbox, note the output shaft for the angle gear is built into the outer diff unit.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/15092009186-1.jpg

Here is a pic of some wear on the splines of the sleeve, the angle gear/gearbox wears pretty much the same depending on how far the wear has gone. You can see what the original height/shape of the splines was further in the sleeve before the gap.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/Splines.jpg

Cheers guys, so it's basically a case of how long it's going to last then providing both shafts are ok?

The angle gear shaft looks ok although I think (typically) the collar is stuck on the gearbox shaft.. so i'm unsure on the condition of this at the moment.

Angle gear price as at August 2009 is £756.
Angle gear service kit £89.
Angle gear oil £23.
+ Labour and VAT.

Is there evidence of leaking oil from your Angle gear box? Its this that causes the Splines to tear themselves out as they overheat.

Have the AWD checked by a competant technician at Volvo before you condem the Angle Gear.

I feel yer pain dude. Mine was all replaced at 101k by the previous owner (thank ££££)
The Bill was £2200 but did include a new shock absorber and TCV.
There was also some discount in there too.

Thanks mate, so i'm looking at around £100 all in for collar and angle gear seals then? (angle gear service kit). Don't suppose you have the part number do you? My copy of VIDA is installed on my mates dads PC :(

Took the angle gear off today mate and the collar is definitely toast. Angle gear shaft looks ok with little wear... but who knows about the gearbox shaft, haven't removed the collar yet.

May be a case of fixing the car and getting rid I think. I love the car but i've been kidding myself thinking I can maintain a car like this. Would rather settle for VAG FWD turbo, less hassle, more parts readily available.

Santa
Saturday 31st December 2011, 17:06
Cheers guys, so it's basically a case of how long it's going to last then providing both shafts are ok?

The angle gear shaft looks ok although I think (typically) the collar is stuck on the gearbox shaft.. so i'm unsure on the condition of this at the moment.

Thanks mate, so i'm looking at around £100 all in for collar and angle gear seals then? (angle gear service kit). Don't suppose you have the part number do you? My copy of VIDA is installed on my mates dads PC :(

Took the angle gear off today mate and the collar is definitely toast. Angle gear shaft looks ok with little wear... but who knows about the gearbox shaft, haven't removed the collar yet.

May be a case of fixing the car and getting rid I think. I love the car but i've been kidding myself thinking I can maintain a car like this. Would rather settle for VAG FWD turbo, less hassle, more parts readily available.

If the angle gear side of the collar looks completely worn you might be ok. (I'm being optimistic and hoping the best for you).

If its a cheap fix keep the car, as I said the other day if the car becomes to expensive to fix you could break it for bits and probably make your money back.

SomeBloke
Sunday 1st January 2012, 09:02
As a matter of interest, should we be swapping out the splinned collar as a matter of course at say 80k to stop the thing stripping completely and damaging the shafts?

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 1st January 2012, 10:33
As a matter of interest, should we be swapping out the splinned collar as a matter of course at say 80k to stop the thing stripping completely and damaging the shafts?
It would be beneficial to the service life of the gearbox and angle gear to do that.

Santa
Sunday 1st January 2012, 12:07
It would be beneficial to the service life of the gearbox and angle gear to do that.

Yeah I'd back this as well. I had mine replaced at 65k......with the angle gear :-(

Leeds_finest
Sunday 1st January 2012, 12:59
If the angle gear side of the collar looks completely worn you might be ok. (I'm being optimistic and hoping the best for you).

If its a cheap fix keep the car, as I said the other day if the car becomes to expensive to fix you could break it for bits and probably make your money back.

Well the angle gear teeth appear ok, but I haven't got a picture of a 100% new/unused one to compare mine to. I'll post my pics up today.

That's true, although I don't know if I could bring myself to break it with it being so rare. As you said though, if you couldn't afford one brand new, don't buy one second hand Rich... so true.

Yeah I'd back this as well. I had mine replaced at 65k......with the angle gear :-(

+3.

If it's not already gone, then change it ASAP. it's not worth the xtra hassle once it goes. Could potentially save yourself thousands in repair costs.

DIY is not too hard either, no need for labour charges.

Leeds_finest
Sunday 1st January 2012, 17:03
These are the best pics I can get really, my camera isn't the best and despite trying to clean the teeth off, the shaft still looks dirty but what are your opinions?

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/405991_10150463087529024_628254023_8513275_1333017 608_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/381424_10150463094059024_628254023_8513331_1996135 179_n.jpg

No visible wear to the teeth really, they seem like the original machined contours and they're all even (no odd bumps or scores) but haven't got a damaged one to compare it to.

Leeds_finest
Sunday 1st January 2012, 17:05
AHHHH TOOTH BRUSH! WHAT AN IDEA!

I'll give them another clean and try to photograph again.

Santa
Sunday 1st January 2012, 17:11
Might be the angle of the photo but looks like even though there may be a little wear that should mate to a new collar ok

Leeds_finest
Sunday 1st January 2012, 17:21
Might be the angle of the photo but looks like even though there may be a little wear that should mate to a new collar ok

Fingers crossed mate.

As you say, bound to be some wear but hopefully it'll take a new collar. Just really got to hope the gearbox end is ok.

Leeds_finest
Sunday 1st January 2012, 17:25
Ran over it with an old tooth brush and white spirits but that's about as good a picture as i'm going to get with poor lighting and a rubbish camera I think:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/381072_10150463142054024_628254023_8513719_1218709 829_n.jpg

Cheers

afzalmj
Sunday 1st January 2012, 17:59
You might get away with just replacing the collar.

Leeds_finest
Sunday 1st January 2012, 18:27
You might get away with just replacing the collar.

Hopefully!

The angle gear shaft teeth ^^^ don't look worn and seem to have plenty of meat on them, but I can't see the trans shaft teeth yet as I haven't got round to removing the old collar.

The collar is definitely toast though, no teeth on it AT ALL.

Santa
Sunday 1st January 2012, 18:58
Hopefully!

The angle gear shaft teeth ^^^ don't look worn and seem to have plenty of meat on them, but I can't see the trans shaft teeth yet as I haven't got round to removing the old collar.

Hopefully it will prove to be a cheap fix then :-)

Leeds_finest
Sunday 1st January 2012, 19:26
Hopefully it will prove to be a cheap fix then :-)

I'm hoping so mate.

Someone on 'Swedespeed' said they did a lot of research into this problem and apparently 99% of the time the gearbox shaft doesn't strip like the angle gear does. Most damage to the gearbox shaft is usually caused by removing the collar incorrectly.

Anyway, I suppose it's all speculation, i'll have to wait and see. Providing it's an easy straight forward fix the car should be up for sale in Feb me thinks.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 1st January 2012, 19:40
From what I can see in the pics it looks like there has been some slight wear of the splines (on one edge), but they seem to be the original height at least.

Mine were worn more than that and its been a few years since I replaced the gearbox and sleeve and I've had no problems.

Like you say, see what the gearbox side says....

Santa
Sunday 1st January 2012, 19:41
I'm hoping so mate.

Someone on 'Swedespeed' said they did a lot of research into this problem and apparently 99% of the time the gearbox shaft doesn't strip like the angle gear does. Most damage to the gearbox shaft is usually caused by removing the collar incorrectly.

Anyway, I suppose it's all speculation, i'll have to wait and see. Providing it's an easy straight forward fix the car should be up for sale in Feb me thinks.

Sure you don't want to keep it.....either way mate please dont leave :-)

Leeds_finest
Sunday 1st January 2012, 21:25
From what I can see in the pics it looks like there has been some slight wear of the splines (on one edge), but they seem to be the original height at least.

Mine were worn more than that and its been a few years since I replaced the gearbox and sleeve and I've had no problems.

Like you say, see what the gearbox side says....

Ok well most people seem to think the angle gear side will go before the gearbox side, so hopefully mine should be ok. We'll have to see.

May well be calling upon your expertise for collar removal Dave.

Sure you don't want to keep it.....either way mate please dont leave :-)

To be honest I really love the car even in standard form. It turns heads when people see the brakes etc and most people don't even realise what it is to be honest which is cool.

...but punching above my weight a bit really, you've got to have the wedge to keep these sorts of cars going and with the complicated AWD, suspension, brakes and engine you're asking for big bills when something goes wrong I suppose. It's not buying the car, it's maintaining it.

If I do get rid, i'll definitely have another one when i've paid off all my business loans and i'm earning reasonable money. Until then, I think it may be the end of the road for mine. Thinking of going for my original 2nd choice, Leon Cupra R??

martybelfastt5
Sunday 1st January 2012, 22:53
ah mate fingers crossed,when this sorta thing goes i would have thought driving the car would tell all as you say a bang grind ect , so it can only be good youve spotted it now..as you say maintiance on them nothing short of scary and that was one of my main factors in keeping the 850 no matter what it throws its fixable without to much hurt even in the worst cases.such a great car but makes you wonder on thier life span compared to all the older volvo range ect. il be watching with the fingers crossed and if all goes as good as it can.

LeeT5
Sunday 1st January 2012, 23:45
Hopefully!

That's the point, it was designed to do that! Otherwise you'd be buying a new Prop shaft at £700 a time.
The only reason most people end up having to buy a new Angle gear aswell is because they never properly maintained their cars by a competant Dealer. They would have inspected the Angle gear in a service and noted any oil leaks. This is the first sign that things will go down hill. Once the oil depletes then the box overheats and "BANG" goes your Angle gear teeth.

LeeT5
Sunday 1st January 2012, 23:51
Thinking of going for my original 2nd choice, Leon Cupra R??

Uh!! Made in Spain....No thanks. Stick to the Ovlov mate.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 2nd January 2012, 00:00
Otherwise you'd be buying a new Prop shaft at £700 a time.
But theres the clincher, you know what car makers are like these days, they'd rather have the part break and charge the earth for a new one.

Leeds_finest
Monday 2nd January 2012, 13:35
ah mate fingers crossed,when this sorta thing goes i would have thought driving the car would tell all as you say a bang grind ect , so it can only be good youve spotted it now..as you say maintiance on them nothing short of scary and that was one of my main factors in keeping the 850 no matter what it throws its fixable without to much hurt even in the worst cases.such a great car but makes you wonder on thier life span compared to all the older volvo range ect. il be watching with the fingers crossed and if all goes as good as it can.

That's the thing though mate, sometimes you can't even tell. In fairness it could've happened even before you bought the car from your buddy - you wouldn't have known and neither did I until I got it on a ramp :)

As you say, I was inspired by how bullet proof the older models seem to be, but maybe it hasn't carried through to the newer models.

Fingers crossed as you say mate, hopefully will be ok.

That's the point, it was designed to do that! Otherwise you'd be buying a new Prop shaft at £700 a time.
The only reason most people end up having to buy a new Angle gear aswell is because they never properly maintained their cars by a competant Dealer. They would have inspected the Angle gear in a service and noted any oil leaks. This is the first sign that things will go down hill. Once the oil depletes then the box overheats and "BANG" goes your Angle gear teeth.

Well that's a possibility as oil/fluid is obviously there to cool/lubricate parts but the problem seems far too common for this to be the case. The majority of people that bought/run/own these cars will probably take their cars to main dealers or trusted specialists but yet you still hear MANY stories of the angle gear going pop.

Also, let's not forget the fact that I haven't really heard any stories of angle gear internals being fried, it's always the teeth - surely if it was low on oil it would melt internals before it takes the teeth?

Example, Rich practically has a running tab at GRN motors :) and his angle gear needed replacing when his collar went, but his has got to be one of the best maintained R's around and i'm sure they would've picked up on oil leaks prior to this.

Uh!! Made in Spain....No thanks. Stick to the Ovlov mate.

Lol it could've been 'thrown' together by Pedro and his Gringo's for all I care, if it does what it's meant to do that's the selling point.

Anyway, if we're making a serious point, the 20VT engines are well renound for being fantastic with the unfortunate drawback of occasionally chewing coilpacks (cheap to fix and could do it blindfolded).

The S60 R is far superior, but it comes at a cost.

Besides all of this, i'm not slating the Volvo on a Volvo forum, I did say above that I love the Volvo to pieces but (as you can gather from our PM's) it's not a car I can afford to maintain right now.

But theres the clincher, you know what car makers are like these days, they'd rather have the part break and charge the earth for a new one.

Well let's face facts, i'm not saying the angle gear was designed to break, but they obviously saw a money opportunity by not selling the input shaft as a seperate part. Instead, we're all forced to buy a COMPLETE unit from Volvo themselves - what a suprise.

Santa
Monday 2nd January 2012, 14:39
...The only reason most people end up having to buy a new Angle gear aswell is because they never properly maintained their cars by a competant Dealer...

Mine went due to heavy launching :-(

Leeds_finest
Monday 2nd January 2012, 15:55
Mine went due to heavy launching :-(

Really if the collar does it's job correctly, your AG should have been saved.

Ok, so they didn't exactly intend average driver of a P2 'R' to be doing 4k launches :) but still, if the collars designed to go but in a lot of instances it takes the AG with it too, it questions the integrity of the AG really doesn't it.

P.s. 'Santa' in Red - how ironic :) - couldn't you have it in red and white letters? :)

Santa
Monday 2nd January 2012, 16:11
P.s. 'Santa' in Red - how ironic :) - couldn't you have it in red and white letters? :)

I'd have to change the forums theme to accommodate that lol

Leeds_finest
Monday 2nd January 2012, 16:37
I'd have to change the forums theme to accommodate that lol

Don't be a say'er... be a do'er :)

(joke)

Santa
Monday 2nd January 2012, 17:10
Don't be a say'er... be a do'er :)

(joke)

Need to get a feng shui consultant in before doing that!

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 18:38
With thanks to Dave (Bomb192uk) the sleeve is now removed.

Pics to follow.

Santa
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 18:48
With thanks to Dave (Bomb192uk) the sleeve is now removed.

Pics to follow.

Daves a goodun................I'm sure I said we should go for a drink early in 2011 and we never went for one lol

Al115
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 18:55
Good work :)

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 19:24
Daves a goodun................I'm sure I said we should go for a drink early in 2011 and we never went for one lol

Indeed he is.. and a pro with an angle grinder :)

Good work :)

Cheers mate, if you ever need yours doing and you need a hand then give me a shout.

You read such horror stories on the internet, but it wasn't all that bad once we had the right tool.

If I were you i'd also check your AWD regularly, I didn't even know mine had gone, and best to catch it sooner rather than later.

Santa
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 19:27
If I were you i'd also check your AWD regularly, I didn't even know mine had gone, and best to catch it sooner rather than later.

Check mine every time its wet.

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 19:53
Check mine every time its wet.

Lol which hasn't been that often this year :(

Santa
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 20:10
Lol which hasn't been that often this year :(

I have a jetwash.....never use it to clean the cars though lol

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:39
Cheers mate, if you ever need yours doing and you need a hand then give me a shout.
I'll bring my angle grinder.

Just out of interest what make were those pullers?

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:40
We can't go out for a drink, now you're the new Overlord you're out of my league :(

Seriously though we could get another meet organised.

Leeds_finest
Thursday 5th January 2012, 00:05
I'll bring my angle grinder.

Just out of interest what make were those pullers?

The cheap ones were Rolson, not sure about the 'daddy-o' one though.

Going to try and get my money back for them tomorrow. Lol I know they were only cheap but the whole point of a bearing puller is to remove bearing that are usually a tight fit - and that clearly failed on three accounts.