PDA

View Full Version : 97 T5 estate ABS ECU requirement ?

mas
Friday 30th December 2011, 15:43
Lo all, I'm embarking on doing the T5 proud and though she is a superb runner , I need to put a few little things right. I had a go at soldering the ABS ECU a year or so ago and it worked 'very temporarily' so I am happy it is the ECU which is duff.

I know you need the part number of the ECU but the question I had in mind is , are there many ECU's on a 97 and am I likely to find most from around that year to be the right type.

I will be looking for a few parts including N/S headslight glass and the little plastic washer bottle cap would you believe and will need to keep prices
reasonable since I know she is only worth money to me so to speak :)

Regards

Mas

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 15:50
Could be your reluctor rings - have you checked them recently?

mas
Friday 30th December 2011, 15:54
No Dave not lately TBH, I would have done except that soldering the ECU board effected a temporary repair which I thought kind of proved the case ?

I did look at the rings first a long time ago, I think on your suggestion if I remember rightly ( it was years ago its always played up), can you remind me exactly how to decide if they are knackered or not please m8ee and I'll gladly check. If its not too windy and wet tomorrow I'll whip the wheels off. Maybe a daft question but are there only two I.E only on the front, understandable re TRACS , but I'd have thought ABS should sense any wheel locking up not just a driving one.

Regards

Mas

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 16:40
Where there is an ABS sensor there should be a reluctor wheel - so I am fairly sure you should have 1 on each wheel hub. According to Haynes Manual of destruction Chapter 9 verse 19.5 - you will have sensors on the rears. Find the sensor - & you should find a ring??

However I could be wrong as I can find no pictures. Have you read any fault codes?

If you find that the reluctor rings are badly corroded to the point where the teeth are missing or the ring is actually cracked - then you know what to do.

It is not possible to say that your soldering repair is defunct without checking everything else. I know this as I redid my own ECU twice & it still wasn't right. I also replaced sensors before finally discovering the root cause was the damn reluctor rings.

process of elimination & finger crossing.

mas
Friday 30th December 2011, 16:46
I will be on to the rings and report back ASAP.

As a result of your suggestion, I have done plenty of Googling pictures re the rings etc. Hopefully i will find an abviously duff one.

I have just had a read up and it seems , to read the ABS faults , I would need the proper Volvo reader ?

Cheers

Mas

cherry1809
Friday 30th December 2011, 16:58
I think there's a lend out one on here somewhere. Not sure if it's gone missing again or not though..

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:04
If you have an andriod phone you can use TORQUE or you can get ScanTool .net for a laptop. Then all you need is a connector to hook into the armrest OBDII port - either a BT one for the Torque app or USB for the latter.

mas
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:10
I think this needs a whole new topic in itself :P , I just aquired Volvo FCR and it appears to be installed fine , is that better ? , I would need a serial to OBD11 cable to use it of course but they are cheap.

Otherwise where do I find TORQUE , dont tell me its on the app store lol.

I just Googled it it is a bloomin app what is the world coming to !

does it do ABS codes though

Regards

Mas

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:12
Fine - use the FCR then.

Not APP STORE - as it is not available for Apple based phones (Andriod only in the Market Place). It is free. It was only a suggestion & you appear to have most of the tools to hand.

mas
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:14
I cant believe I used the term ( spits on floor) I meant Market honest , I am a proud Galaxy S2 owner and should hang my head in shame.

I will be saying F**D next :redface:

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:16
I too have that phone - TORQUE is a wonderous thing with many toys to amuse & impress. If you do a search I have waffled on about it quite a bit.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:21
This is the track recorder plug in for the app..

http://youtu.be/o5eqIGDL8Ck

mas
Friday 30th December 2011, 17:43
lol, naughty that would have the 944 track slag types wetting themselves :bounce:

As soon as I get a personal recomendation for the right cheepo bluetoth adapter I'm on the case. I know the Rover folk use the Bluetooth adapters for starters. I'll have plenty of use out of one of these in my opinion, cheers

Mas