PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise in very wet weather

Pauld
Thursday 29th December 2011, 14:36
For the second time today, when driving in very rainy conditions, a strange "humming" noise has occasionally been heard.

It is coming from the near side wheel, i think, and is not related to the brakes. When applied there is no change in the volume etc, and does not seem to be speed related. Except that it stops when stationary.

The noise seems to start after going through standing water and lasts for about 20 seconds.

I am wondering if is a wheel bearing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

LeeT5
Friday 30th December 2011, 02:41
For the second time today, when driving in very rainy conditions, a strange "humming" noise has occasionally been heard.

It is coming from the near side wheel, i think, and is not related to the brakes. When applied there is no change in the volume etc, and does not seem to be speed related. Except that it stops when stationary.

The noise seems to start after going through standing water and lasts for about 20 seconds.

I am wondering if is a wheel bearing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I know this might sound weird but if its your V70R your on about then i would check for signs of wear on the propshaft towards the front. Make sure you cannot see evidence that it has been fowling the exhaust pipe. I had exactly the same thing happen to me when i started to plough through 4 inches of fresh snow on the outside lane of a motorway last year. This is not an uncommon sympton. There is mention of it on V70R.com and i have seen others mention on swedespeed etc.
There is a Technical bulletin about it on the V70R.com site. may take you a while to find it.

rain will not make a wheel bearing drone. Thats made by the bearing having been worn and excessive play.

The Flying Banana
Friday 30th December 2011, 10:43
What kind of tyre is on the back? Some cheaper tyres can give off road noise which can be amplified in different conditions.

Last week i had to put a spare on back of my Vectra after a blowout and the spare had a Fullrun tyre on which looks like a Goodyear F1 ( similarity ends there!!) and instantly it sounded like a wheel bearing had gone..i thought some damage had maybe happened with blowout but replaced tyre next day with another quality tyre and no noise ....worth checking it out ..

dalhousie2008
Friday 30th December 2011, 10:48
could be a bearing, they can make a noise long before any signs of movement show up in wheel. But could be tyres also, could be one of those annoying noises that you never get to the bottom of.

Pauld
Friday 30th December 2011, 14:37
The tyres are all pirelli's with 4mm tread on all.

At first i thought it was resonation caused by the tyres and a particular road surface.

Now I am not so sure.

Pauld
Sunday 1st January 2012, 14:58
Been out again today and the noise is coming from the back.

We drove 70 miles in the rain and here was no noise for the first 69.5 miles.

I wonder if it may be a sticking brake shoe...

Help!!

micken
Sunday 1st January 2012, 23:17
Been out again today and the noise is coming from the back.

We drove 70 miles in the rain and here was no noise for the first 69.5 miles.

I wonder if it may be a sticking brake shoe...

Help!!

....if it's a delaminating shoe liner you need to get this sorted pronto. Have you noticed any clunking when releasing the handbrake and moving off?

LeeT5
Sunday 1st January 2012, 23:30
....if it's a delaminating shoe liner you need to get this sorted pronto. Have you noticed any clunking when releasing the handbrake and moving off?

Member since July 2008 and only 6 posts? WTF have you been??

Just because the rear handbrake shoes bind when moving off doesn't mean that the shoes are delaminating. All V70/S60s do it. Its a common enough traight that all V70/S60 owners just have to get used to. Besides, if the shoes were delaminated then it wouldn't cause the noise he is complaining about.