PDA

View Full Version : Front pipe melting ?

Mark T6
Thursday 29th December 2011, 12:18
My T6 front pipe seems to have melted slightly on a hot part of the engine.
Is there a more resilient aftermarket replacement, Samco perhaps ?
What about a heat shield ?

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 29th December 2011, 12:34
Being a T6 I wouldn't know, but depending on the complexity of the pipework (I'm guessing it is air feed pipework). Samco suppliers, like Demon Tweeks have a massize array of diameters, lengths, bends and connecting pipes that you would be able to make something up.

I did my own version of the cold air feed for the 850 parked up next to a trader whilst in Silverstone Trax 2007.

Just an idea if you know of any tuning shops near you?

Mark T6
Thursday 29th December 2011, 12:47
Ok, I'll check it out, thanks.
:)
As I'm unfamiliar with the engine, I thought I'd check here first to see if it's a common problem or whether the heat shield is missing etc....

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 29th December 2011, 12:57
Any pics of the issue? You engine bay can't be too dis-similar to the T5.

Mark T6
Thursday 29th December 2011, 16:29
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/860/t6lump.jpg/

Not a pic of my engine.......but, its the large diameter hose that is melting against the silver coloured engine part before it splits in two and runs up across the top to the turbos......
Its a general, sticky sort of ooze, rather than a particular localised area of damage to the hose. I'm going to wipe it clean and see if it reoccurs.....

Mark T6
Thursday 29th December 2011, 17:33
I've just been out to investigate further and upon disconnecting and cleaning up the hose I can report that it hadn't melted at all but was covered in a sludgy sticky oily residue. The hose itself appears to be undamaged but it looks as though the clip was loose underneath and a small amount of oil had been seeping out over time.
There was a tiny amount of sludge inside the hose which I cleaned out before tightening everything up good and snug.
The car now feels a little perkier, so it was worth getting my hands dirty.
:)

cherry1809
Thursday 29th December 2011, 17:57
Good result! Always good finding things like that, Especially if you were happy before you found the problem. Lol.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 29th December 2011, 20:23
Well done.. Oil in the pipe work may need a bit of investigating though..

LeeT5
Friday 30th December 2011, 02:35
Well done.. Oil in the pipe work may need a bit of investigating though..

its completely normal for Intercooler hoses to have oil residue in them. As long as its not swimming in the stuff, i wouldn't worry.

p fandango
Friday 30th December 2011, 03:04
i didn't realise the T6 was a straight 6, sorry for the hijack but anyone got any pics of how the twin turbo's are linked up

Laserowl
Friday 30th December 2011, 12:12
i didn't realise the T6 was a straight 6, sorry for the hijack but anyone got any pics of how the twin turbo's are linked up

Each turbo is linked to 3 cylinders each, so not really a true twin turbo, but
still gives lots of fun. Not got any pics sorry.