PDA

View Full Version : My remap results - HLM

MattM
Thursday 29th December 2011, 11:10
So yesterday I popped down to see Hamish at HLM, it was a quick drive because the roads were empty so I arrived early. It wasn't long before we were getting a stock figure on the dyno. This was my first dyno so I was quite impressed by the whole thing. After we had a stock figure Hamish dropped on the first Autotech map and we did several dyno runs, then another few runs with the 2nd Autotech map. Looking at the graph it was obviously the first map was the one to go with. It was loaded back on and a last run on the dyno was done which gave us the graph. A quick test drive confirmed the car was running very well. I have to say Hamish was fantastic and very accommodating and thanks to his wife for the bacon/egg sarnie :)

The car drives amazing now, pulls like an absolute beast. It has definitely transformed the car which you can probably see from the graph, the gains were great.

Few pics and a video for those interested.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/mmccann722/IMG_0002.png

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/mmccann722/2011-12-28124752.png

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_TQMcSgiTM

smithy
Thursday 29th December 2011, 11:18
So yesterday I popped down to see Hamish at HLM, it was a quick drive because the roads were empty so I arrived early. It wasn't long before we were getting a stock figure on the dyno. This was my first dyno so I was quite impressed by the whole thing. After we had a stock figure Hamish dropped on the first Autotech map and we did several dyno runs, then another few runs with the 2nd Autotech map. Looking at the graph it was obviously the first map was the one to go with. It was loaded back on and a last run on the dyno was done which gave us the graph. A quick test drive confirmed the car was running very well. I have to say Hamish was fantastic and very accommodating and thanks to his wife for the bacon/egg sarnie :)

The car drives amazing now, pulls like an absolute beast. It has definitely transformed the car which you can probably see from the graph, the gains were great.

Few pics and a video for those interested.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/mmccann722/IMG_0002.png

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/mmccann722/2011-12-28124752.png

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_TQMcSgiTM

thats the only rolling road i use to tune my car so i can get a good comparsion between the mods but i dont get a bacon sarni though favourtism is not good hamish lol.nice results is it a 2.4 t5 with the kkk24 being a 2005 model.weldone

MattM
Thursday 29th December 2011, 11:22
Yea it's the 2.4 t5 :)
oh and I had to pay for the sarnie ;)

p fandango
Thursday 29th December 2011, 11:26
nice, good result there. Was that the £300 special?

smithy
Thursday 29th December 2011, 11:26
Yea it's the 2.4 t5 :)
oh and I had to pay for the sarnie ;)

atleast you got offered lol.i bet the car goes like brown stuff off a shovel now and you have the same power results as wobbly too and his is custom mapped.

MattM
Thursday 29th December 2011, 11:27
It is silly quick now, but in a good way.

nice, good result there. Was that the £300 special?

Yep :)

smithy
Thursday 29th December 2011, 11:29
It is silly quick now, but in a good way.

you will have to take me in it 1 day never been in a 2.4 t5 before .i will be able to compare it to the 137 bhp 940 mate

dalhousie2008
Thursday 29th December 2011, 13:26
you have some ponies!!!

t5steve
Thursday 29th December 2011, 13:53
well done to all involved..............enjoy your newfound power

wegal
Thursday 29th December 2011, 14:36
nice results mate... why is there no din correction on the map.... also the rpm is missing :-(

Not 100% sure it needs the din correction but every map ive ever seen has it on. Is that Crank or at the wheels ?

Its a hell of a difference when you have them mapped :-)

smithy
Thursday 29th December 2011, 15:12
nice results mate... why is there no din correction on the map.... also the rpm is missing :-(

Not 100% sure it needs the din correction but every map ive ever seen has it on. Is that Crank or at the wheels ?

Its a hell of a difference when you have them mapped :-)

hlms dyno runs always show whp mate and clutch power underneath and i did notice that the correction hadnt be done but the difference would have about the same power results because of the weather being nice and cool.

p fandango
Thursday 29th December 2011, 15:26
rpm is missing :-(
the rpm scale is across the bottom

MattM
Thursday 29th December 2011, 15:26
Just been out for another drive, the roads being a bit wet lead to some interesting results. Lets just say I've never spun the wheels so much! I wonder how long these tires will last...

t5_monkey
Thursday 29th December 2011, 15:36
That's a fat increase for just a remap.

Strut brace will dampen down some of the spin and tramp.

MattM
Thursday 29th December 2011, 15:43
Any recommendations for a strut brace? Would be good to get the power down a bit better and not spin about :p

Can only see this one - http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_454&products_id=6149

t5_monkey
Thursday 29th December 2011, 15:44
Dunno about S60 strut braces.

Good front tyres help too :D

MattM
Thursday 29th December 2011, 15:47
I guess so, being a bit wet doesn't help. Yesterday wasn't a problem flooring it.

graemewelch
Thursday 29th December 2011, 16:12
nice result. is that running standard ie inj exhaust. i spoke to hamish last yr about his stg 2 and im very tempted

MattM
Thursday 29th December 2011, 16:26
Everything standard on my car, so the results are from the Autotech remap alone :)
What does a stage 2 involve and what are the expected results?

graemewelch
Thursday 29th December 2011, 16:31
if i remember right is sports cat, exhaust bigger inj and poss fmic. am sure hamish runs a hybrid turbo to.

MattM
Thursday 29th December 2011, 16:33
Sounds pretty immense!

smithy
Thursday 29th December 2011, 17:23
if i remember right is sports cat, exhaust bigger inj and poss fmic. am sure hamish runs a hybrid turbo to.

i bet you that upgrade is pushing some horses and torque.and hers me trying to get the highest powered volvo on his dyno but i might struggle with the figuires with that conversion on an s60/v70 2.4 t5

graemewelch
Thursday 29th December 2011, 17:27
from what ive read hybrid kkk turbos are poor. almost same as stock. still got to be pushing 350bhp easy. no idea abut torque

smithy
Thursday 29th December 2011, 17:31
from what ive read hybrid kkk turbos are poor. almost same as stock. still got to be pushing 350bhp easy. no idea abut torque

i dont think the hlm hybrid for that engine is a kkk24 hybrid but could be wrong though but it would be nice to find out my about the upgrade .

t5_monkey
Thursday 29th December 2011, 17:35
with downpipe, FMIC, injectors etc... you'll get 350 on the standard KKK anyway.

Better off with a Garrett after that by the sounds of it :)

graemewelch
Thursday 29th December 2011, 17:39
i thought abut going down the garret turb rute but the custom mapping was the issue. for a extra bhp yr talking a lot of money

MattM
Thursday 29th December 2011, 17:46
Any plans to help get the power down on the road? I can see it being a bit of a handful with even more torque.

graemewelch
Thursday 29th December 2011, 17:49
good tyres and learn to control the throttle for smooth progresive power if you just floor it youll get wheel spin everytime

bigrotch
Thursday 29th December 2011, 17:57
Look very impresive mate can't wait to get my kkk k24 turbo and R manifold and down pipe on my 850 then get it mapped to see what it pushers....

M-R-P
Thursday 29th December 2011, 18:00
Wow, proper nice job. I gotta bump up my remap fund and get up there. Maybe get the funds together for the charity rolling road day next year and get it all done in one hit :)

T5frankie
Thursday 29th December 2011, 18:19
awesome results mate bet its rapid now

MattM
Thursday 29th December 2011, 22:37
Forgot to mention, it's running about 1.25 bar now :)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 01:16
As I said on the other thread - the ted rogers 321 is a good number to have. Seems to push & hold 400NM for a long long time. I think you will need to play with tyre choices & don't forget doing full boar runs in this wet/cold weather can end in tears - so be careful.

Betsy makes about the same torque but perhaps because the 19T runs out of puff a bit sooner than the treble K, the torque curve is not as well sustained -

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11337&d=1312847091
However the main difference is that yours is just starting out. I have done all I can with my config & you have room to manoever yet more torque out of your engine. The larger FMIC will help keep your IATs down & further improve your volumetric effeciency.

Long & strong (the torque curve) is the way to go. See you at the drag strip!

Slomo
Friday 30th December 2011, 09:49
Very nice results...

The best thing I managed to get hold of for the T4 to fix the Torque steer when accelerating and to improve the handling was a "H" brace to go under the car. I have always had the titanium top strut brace from Volvo Sweden and that helped but the under car one is superb. Wish I ahd done that at the begining. See if youi can get one for your model of car? Defo reccomend....

Slomo

p fandango
Friday 30th December 2011, 10:28
See if youi can get one for your model of car? Defo reccomend....
UR racing do a front under body brace for 850's

MattM
Friday 30th December 2011, 11:14
Yea the Pirelli PZero Rosso aren't exactly great, but they were brand new on the car when I got it so they will be on there for a while longer. Haven't had problems with torque steer yet, just traction.

t5_monkey
Friday 30th December 2011, 12:56
My CC3's have always been good - especially in the wet, good compliancy too so the ride is good.

jardon
Friday 30th December 2011, 20:02
My experience as regards less wheelspin.

1. Don't expect to floor it and not have any wheelspin ie: drive accordingly. It's taken me a while but I'm used to it now.

2. Tyres suitable for the prevailing conditions e.g: I use really sticky tyres in "summer" like Yokohama AD08's, Toyo R888's or Hankook RS2's and currently running Vredstein Wintrac Xtremes. Always a compromise though - the summer tyres mentioned are well below par in standing water but great in the dry. I haven't used Vredstein Ultrac Sessantas but they get great word of mouth on our forums as an all rounder.

3. Don't rush into any suspension mods. I have just removed my front anti-roll bar leaving a rear IPD bar and wheelspin is greatly reduced (straight line and cornering). My inner-jury is out on whether this is appropriate all year round but works well in the low traction conditions of late. This may be working well for me because I have generally stiffer suspension (coilovers) but may make a stock vehicle quite sloppy up front. I am unlikely to refit the front IPD bar and may fit a stock one. My advice would be consider a stiffer rear anti roll bar but for road use the front IPD is way too stiff for best traction. On dry track with sticky rubber I may now get a bucket of roll but for road I'm really pleased so far.

4. Budget dependent - a Quaife or Gripper diff. Be prepared for arsing about if you go with the latter but it's an amazing piece of kit when set up correctly.

jardon
Friday 30th December 2011, 20:53
Din correction would reduce the output figures slightly as the ambient was <20C. For future mod comparisons a correction is useful should you return to the dyno in summer for a stage 2 etc. However, if simple before and after then no need. I suspect you could get a corrected set of results if you asked as it's just a mathematical calculation taking into account ambient temperature and pressure - I'm guessing the dyno software can produce it from the raw data. Nice result, glad it worked out for you in the end.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 22:08
I will have a nearly new quaiffe LSD coming up for sale very soon.

t5_monkey
Friday 30th December 2011, 22:13

how come you're getting shot of it ?

What model is yours ?

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 22:20
Due to CTS dragging their feet when returning my stuff - I bought another new quaiffe - so I have one spare.

QDF12J is the model

t5_monkey
Friday 30th December 2011, 22:25
Due to CTS dragging their feet when returning my stuff - I bought another new quaiffe - so I have one spare.

QDF12J is the model

Oooh it fits the S40 :)

May be interested.... and if I can't afford it I'm pretty sure Nosh may want to buy it as he's running 350 in his S40 with an open diff.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2011, 22:27
Yes that model will fit the majority of Volvo's.

MattM
Saturday 31st December 2011, 10:29

The model number you posted is for an S40? QDF13J is for the S60 according to the website.

Edit:
Looks like QDF12J is for 5 speed and QDF13J 6 speed gearbox. Mines 6 speed so wouldn't work with the QDF12J you have.

t5_monkey
Saturday 31st December 2011, 11:41
What price you thinking for it Dave ?

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 31st December 2011, 17:20
Including VAT they are over 700 quid new - so I'd be looking around a Monkey (quite appropriate for you I'd say?). It has only had 3 months use tops.

MattM
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 21:56
Car sounds different now that it's been mapped, more raspy on WOT, sounds like it drinking a lot more air in.

graemewelch
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:52
what kind of mpg you getting now its mapped

MattM
Thursday 5th January 2012, 08:34
Average is 20.8 at the moment.

M-R-P
Thursday 5th January 2012, 08:44
Average is 20.8 at the moment.

What were you getting before?
I'm talking Mrs. MRP round to these remaps on the basis that we'll be saving fuel. 20.8 isn't great. Are you "playing" a lot?

MattM
Thursday 5th January 2012, 09:26
I wouldn't say a lot, occasional blast. Majority of my driving is short trips around town. On the motorway with the cruise set to 70 I was seeing ~35-40mpg

M-R-P
Thursday 5th January 2012, 09:36
I'm getting 32 @ 70 on the M-way but 23-26 around town but it could just be my granny driving ;) Would you say it's better overall?

MattM
Thursday 5th January 2012, 10:02
Too soon to say really, I don't pay too much attention to MPG. I do reset the average between filling up.

M-R-P
Thursday 5th January 2012, 10:07
If you could update the thread when you know more, I would be very greatful.
If I blow 300 quid on a remap only to be putting more fuel in it than before, I'll never hear the end of it! lol

MattM
Thursday 5th January 2012, 10:15
Vpower is a must with the remap too 138.8p here at the moment :(

bigrotch
Thursday 5th January 2012, 10:19
Vpower is a must with the remap too 138.8p here at the moment :(

Man it's 145.0 here ggggggrrrr

M-R-P
Thursday 5th January 2012, 10:22
Man it's 145.0 here ggggggrrrr

BP ultimate is 148.9 here but down the road (half a mile) the Sainsburys 99ron stuff is 132.9 :)

graemewelch
Thursday 5th January 2012, 20:50
i was getting 26-41 mpg when was running stg two

LiamT4
Thursday 5th January 2012, 21:17
BP ultimate is 148.9 here but down the road (half a mile) the Sainsburys 99ron stuff is 132.9 :)

I never touch that bp sh*te if i can help it, its about 7p a litre more than vpower round here, yet its still only 97ron.

p fandango
Thursday 5th January 2012, 21:21
I never touch that bp sh*te if i can help it, its about 7p a litre more than vpower round here, yet its still only 97ron.
can't remember who tested it, but BP lost its octane slower than Shell. In busy garages the octane was higher, but off-the-beaten track Shell garages which have the fuel sat in the tanks longer had a lower rating than the BP

LiamT4
Thursday 5th January 2012, 21:24
can't remember who tested it, but BP lost its octane slower than Shell. In busy garages the octane was higher, but off-the-beaten track Shell garages which have the fuel sat in the tanks longer had a lower rating than the BP

No worries there then, the place i use is very busy.

jardon
Thursday 5th January 2012, 22:29
I used the "it'll save us money love" argument but in fact all it did was unlock a dormant desire to go fast that has cost thousands. I've never had a petrol remap that was more economical than stock - no point in having it mapped if you are not going to use the oomph as there is no saving to be made. Try working on her with more plausible reasons like "overtaking will be safer" or "I'll be home from work earlier".

fassi1
Friday 6th January 2012, 22:18
I"m doing about 21mpg in my 2.4T, but 1l LPG is 71.9p :)
Running on LPG saving 40%, love it :) and no problem at all.
2morrow is my 1st HLM stage so will finde out what bhp do i get on LPG.

t5_monkey
Friday 6th January 2012, 23:15
Mine used to do no more than 34mpg

Regularly tops 40 on a run now

Could have been the MAF and FPS though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsgKmZUBCRQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV7Evh1YSMs

Doesn't look THAT fast ... says 7.1 on the text, mines 7.6... he would never drop you - gotta be a gutter when ur in a 325bhp porsche to have a Saloon Volvo sat on your tail

Put my vid to 28 seconds..... The porsche one to 9, start mine then start the porsche one when mine his 32 seconds you can see them run right up the speedo.

Porka is quicker but not as much as you'd think - I was running stock dump valve, ropey old Maf and boost leak on that vid :)

MattM
Monday 26th March 2012, 09:43
Anyone know if the map would need tweaking if adding exhaust/downpipe/FMIC?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 26th March 2012, 12:08
You are asking the wrong question. Will y'need a custom map to take advantage of additional hardware changes. Answer is possibly. You certainly won't do any harm by adding a larger FMIC, cat back & racing cat DP.
Only Hamish will know the true limits of the map. Will that map restrict the full glory of those things? - will you get more horses on their own with all 3 - highly likely. Would a custom map be better suited - yes, but they are not cheap to do. There may well be enough adaption left to allow you a bit more, by freeing off any remaining flow restrictions & reducing the charge temps IATs.

I am not certain that the current setup is restrictive on the phase 2 2.4 T5? Do they stop your turbo achieving it's full potential?
I think personally I would want to do the cat back for noise aethetics if nothing else.

TBH if you are already power hungry enough to want more in under 3 months (I don't blame you) - then perhaps you should go the whole hog & go for a bigger turbo as well & do a full stage 2? 321bhp is obviously never enough LOL. How much do you want?

Are you coming to Avon Park this weekend?

jardon
Monday 26th March 2012, 13:25
Anyone know if the map would need tweaking if adding exhaust/downpipe/FMIC?

To make the best of the additional hardware yes. Should be safe but suboptimal without the map being altered. It will rev more freely and spool quicker with the DP/exhaust upgraded without the map being altered. However, custom maps with 2.4 T5's achieve 350-360 bhp - the ceiling is the exhaust housing (flow limit) of your turbo. There may be a stage 2 map option available to you which capitalises on increased flow/cooler intake.

MattM
Monday 26th March 2012, 13:31
No plan to do anything soon, just looking at the road map. I've send Hamish a PM so waiting to hear back what he thinks about this.

Maybe graemewelch knows more?

MattM
Monday 26th March 2012, 13:39
Does look like autotech do various off the shelf maps for various stages.

http://atechmotor.com/volvo/s60/t5-05/trimpaket/

jardon
Monday 26th March 2012, 22:56
Looks like stage two requires just the 2.5" catback and stage three needs a 3" downpipe too. You should have 465cc injectors already so I wonder if those stages are for earlier cars. I'd be tempted as It will sound lush and if the claims are accurate should pull really well. My Ferrita was ~£1000 and intercoolers vary - my Radtec was under £400 but prices have gone up. I suppose with mapping it could be a £2000 hit but members have found used Ferittas at lower prices.

graemewelch
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 18:11
320 hp 450 Nm

The tuning step includes:
* New software.
* 2.5 "/ 2x2" stainless steel sports exhaust from the catalytic converter and rear.
* Assembly.

Enter discount code "Step 2" at checkout when ordering to receive the mounting cost of 800 SEK deductions.

Some of our competitors write too often subjected to high power figures that the car will never leave.

Our software is developed to provide maximum and consistent power across the engine's full range.
With us, we guarantee high power output and smooth power curve for you to avoid problems with jerky motion and sudden impact.

The quiet operation, fuel consumption is going down slightly.

The price without the handset including installation with us is 10 745 SEK. Handset APC can optionally be elected at a cost of 2500 SEK.

350 hp 495 Nm

The tuning step includes:
* New software.
* 3 "stainless steel downpipe with racing catalytic converter.
* 2.5 "/ 2x2" stainless steel sports exhaust from the catalytic converter and rear.
465cc * spreader
* Assembly.

Enter discount code "Step 3" at checkout when ordering to receive the mounting cost of 1600 SEK deductions.

Some of our competitors write too often subjected to high power figures that the car will never leave.

Our software is developed to provide maximum and consistent power across the engine's full range.
With us, we guarantee high power output and smooth power curve for you to avoid problems with jerky motion and sudden impact.

The quiet operation, fuel consumption is going down slightly.

zip929
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 18:20
My map from last week at HLM. Very happy indeed. :smile:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm304/zip929/Volvo%20T5/V70T5_24.jpg

MattM
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 18:54
Autotech map works a treat, especially on the 2.4 T5 :)

zip929
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 18:56
Autotech map works a treat, especially on the 2.4 T5 :)

Definitely a match made in heaven. :smile:

sizzlechest
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 20:10
What turbo is in the 2.4T? kkk k24?

LiamT4
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 20:48
The 2.4t has a low pressure turbo.
The 2005> 2.4t5 a kkk24.