PDA

View Full Version : S60 engine transplant

cragmaz
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 14:17
Hi all,

was toying with the idea of a new motor, but suddenly had a brainwave,

is it possible to transplant a T5 or a S60R engine into my 2002 S60 2.0T????
maybe sounds a bit drastic, but my S60 is lovely, and i have spent a small fortune on it so far,it performs good, but not good enough, i see it as the right car, but the wrong engine, so has anyone done it??? and results???

in theory, looks do-able, but what do i know!
thanks in advance for any help.

cheers
Craig

p fandango
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 14:33
the physical engine will fit, but getting it running will depend on any sensor/wiring differences there are between the 2.0t & T-5. Plus you'll need a T-5/S60R map put onto your 2.0t ecu

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 14:42
easier & much cheaper to sell your 2 & buy a real one. 2.4T T5 (after 2004) is the best one to go for. Transfer you other mods & sell the 2.0

Also the transplant is difficult to hide from insurance companies. Really not worth the grief.

So what are you hanging onto on the 2.0 that can't be transferred?

cragmaz
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 15:40
easier & much cheaper to sell your 2 & buy a real one. 2.4T T5 (after 2004) is the best one to go for. Transfer you other mods & sell the 2.0

Also the transplant is difficult to hide from insurance companies. Really not worth the grief.

So what are you hanging onto on the 2.0 that can't be transferred?

Ah ok, i thought the 2.4 was a bit dodgy?

nowt particularly i need to hang on to on mine, just spent a lot of money on it since i have owned it, and its prob. not worth nowt anyway.

Had windows tinted, wheels refurbed in gloss black, s60R rear boot spoiler in gloss black, new clutch, discs & pads, custom exhaust, induction kit & heatshield, tyres & a RICA remap, just seems a waste!

C.

p fandango
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 16:29
Ah ok, i thought the 2.4 was a bit dodgy?

nowt particularly i need to hang on to on mine, just spent a lot of money on it since i have owned it, and its prob. not worth nowt anyway.

Had windows tinted, wheels refurbed in gloss black, s60R rear boot spoiler in gloss black, new clutch, discs & pads, custom exhaust, induction kit & heatshield, tyres & a RICA remap, just seems a waste!
2.4 T-5's the stongest, R's are the dodgy ones

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 17:17
Perhaps with the exception of the remap, clutch & the spoiler (even that could be moved with the right colour donor car) - there isn't a lot you've listed that couldn't be moved over.

Tyres & wheels - no problem - disks & pads too (though it may be a good selling point to keep them on the 2.0).

Induction stuff from tip to toe will almost certainly bang straight on.

The 2.4 T5 will almost certainly have more power to start with than the 2.0 on a remap - and it is a good selling point.

t5_monkey
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 17:25
It's the 2L the T5 engine and block with a shorter stroke ? :) Maybe you could just change the internals on it...

graemewelch
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 17:27
the exhaust will also go on a t5 to

Santa
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 17:41
It would probably cost far more to transplant and map etc than to sell your car and pay the difference for a 2.4T5 powered S60 or even an S60R.

t5_monkey
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 18:00
As much fun as a project is.. Santa speakth wise words