PDA

View Full Version : Drop bar links

T4Rick
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 14:12
Do they make a noise if there ****ed.I replaced them about 4months ago but ive had them off alot as well lol and ive threaded one side,its tight but not tight enough,and i think the other side was heading that way,also are they under alot of strain

p fandango
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 14:24
they normally clunk over bumps if there knackered

T4Rick
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 14:25
I think mine are making the clunking noise lol

p fandango
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 14:26
I think mine are making the clunking noise lol
i think there knackered lol

T4Rick
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 14:41
There not old though and there was any slack in the link it was tight

bigrotch
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 14:47
bottom joint on wishbone posible mate

p fandango
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 14:50
There not old though and there was any slack in the link it was tight
i've had to replace the same one for both MOT's i've put on Bonny, so not lasted a year. How long they last depends on the part quality & state of the roads. I'd check all the other suspension components, but don't forget they may feel tight to you, but they've got 1.5ton pushing on them when driving

jayeastanglia
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 20:52
easy way to see if they are clunking is remove them and take the car for a drive once removed the anti roll bar will stay where it is but if it still clunks then check the wish bones and steering inner joints(I got a slight clunk which is my inner joint on the rack.)

T4Rick
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 21:50
bottom joint on wishbone posible mate

Replaced both wish bones before christmas.When you bounce the corner of the front of the car it makes the noise on one side but not the other

T4Rick
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 21:51
easy way to see if they are clunking is remove them and take the car for a drive once removed the anti roll bar will stay where it is but if it still clunks then check the wish bones and steering inner joints(I got a slight clunk which is my inner joint on the rack.)

Do you mean your track end rod lol

jayeastanglia
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 22:18
Do you mean your track end rod lol
nope inner tie rod joint is behind the rack gaitor..

T4Rick
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 22:30
If it was the rack im not replacing it lol,i wouldnt mind but i dont drive it alot,If it was a clunk from the rack is it an mot fail

jayeastanglia
Thursday 29th December 2011, 17:15
yes its a mot fail if the rack has play in it just the same with any joint or bush on a car..the rack joints can be changed without removing the rack,my local parts place has them so they must be able to be changed..(and i just checked on ebay theres a few on there as well.. but i would start with checking if there is any play by rocking the wheel from side to side then jack up and try and wobble it from 12oclock/6 oclock position and same from side to side.you can then check the inner bushes on the wish bone with a small bar.

T4Rick
Friday 30th December 2011, 20:46
yes its a mot fail if the rack has play in it just the same with any joint or bush on a car..the rack joints can be changed without removing the rack,my local parts place has them so they must be able to be changed..(and i just checked on ebay theres a few on there as well.. but i would start with checking if there is any play by rocking the wheel from side to side then jack up and try and wobble it from 12oclock/6 oclock position and same from side to side.you can then check the inner bushes on the wish bone with a small bar.

Cheers mate i will check all this when it stops raining lol.My wish bones are brand new.The car doesnt pull to the left or right it drives perfectly straight just the clunking noise lol sounds like its coming from both sides as well

jayeastanglia
Friday 30th December 2011, 21:21
check the springs as well in case they have snapped at the top of the strut..

Volvostorm
Friday 30th December 2011, 21:26
My strut tops clunked when they were worn.