PDA

View Full Version : Lightening: stage 1

Al115
Sunday 21st August 2005, 13:05
Right, all that useless grey stuff in the load area can go:

http://www.naiad.org.uk/pictures/trim.jpg

The rear seats are already out. Next is the carpets throughout, and then swapping the front seats for ones that weigh a quarter as much...

Vikingxl
Sunday 21st August 2005, 13:37
??????????? :wtf:

spesh
Sunday 21st August 2005, 14:28
What will it reduce the cars weight by?? in a percentage? 3-4%
Why you taking it out, doing some track and 1/4 mile days?? :eclipsee_

Al115
Sunday 21st August 2005, 14:36
Never use the loadspace, thought I'd avoid lugging it around all the time. The rear seats and the wooden stuff is quite heavy, don't think the plastic trim makes a lot of difference though! if I can lighten by 5% that's like adding 15bhp by my calculations.

Also I'm pissed off with setting fire to my brakes, this is an interim step until I can get bigger front brakes on the car.

Oh, and it doesn't cost anything... :anmflower

spesh
Sunday 21st August 2005, 15:00
Oh, and it doesn't cost anything... :anmflower
Thats the best bit!!!

volvotuning
Sunday 21st August 2005, 15:18
Never use the loadspace, thought I'd avoid lugging it around all the time.

I'm curious as to why you bought the estate!!! :slap:

Adam.

Al115
Sunday 21st August 2005, 15:19
Cos it's cooler. Everyone knows "saloons can go fast"... :B_steerin

And at the time of purchase, I needed a load-lugger!

dicky b t5
Sunday 21st August 2005, 15:50
That is one Cool reply...HaHaHa...!lol :troutslap

rottertron
Sunday 21st August 2005, 16:47
So have you weighed the stuff you removed?? So you know how much lighter your car is? And any noticeable difference in performance, handling and also noise?

Al115
Sunday 21st August 2005, 16:51
Not yet, because there's more to come. What I'll do is remove a load of stuff and then weigh the whole car on corner weights. There is a bit more noise audible, mainly from the fuel pump, but you don't really notice it. I will see what it's like when the carpets are out.

p fandango
Sunday 21st August 2005, 16:59
well i'm good with an angle grinder with you want some proper weight reduction :nutkick:

just need the BTCC stickers then :remybussi

Mrsmopp
Sunday 21st August 2005, 20:15
LOL!!! Someones got the bug REAL bad!!

x

chriskay
Sunday 21st August 2005, 20:30
On Friday at the Anglesey circuit I met a guy with a stripped out 854. Nothing inside but a Recaro seat & full harness. He'd taken the bonnet insulation out too; says it weighs a ton. BTW, I found the circuit not suited to the Volvo; very twisty & lots of tyre squeal. I'll have to take the Caterham next time (I wish). I've just returned from a great drive into Mid Wales with 4 other members of the HPC. Great day; marvellous roads, not a speed camera in sight & no overtaking opportunity missed.
Cheers, Chris.

Al115
Sunday 21st August 2005, 20:41
Yeah, the bonnet insulation was the first thing to go!

It's a good thing I don't care about my paintwork....

p fandango
Sunday 21st August 2005, 22:34
On Friday at the Anglesey circuit I met a guy with a stripped out 854. Nothing inside but a Recaro seat & full harness. He'd taken the bonnet insulation out too; says it weighs a ton. BTW, I found the circuit not suited to the Volvo; very twisty & lots of tyre squeal. I'll have to take the Caterham next time (I wish). I've just returned from a great drive into Mid Wales with 4 other members of the HPC. Great day; marvellous roads, not a speed camera in sight & no overtaking opportunity missed.
Cheers, Chris.
i've lost the bonnet insulation as well

& must agree i love the roads around Wales they're just un-believable & the views you get to go with it :remybussi , its just annoying having to slow down for the little villages you come across

chriskay
Sunday 21st August 2005, 23:49
i've lost the bonnet insulation as well

& must agree i love the roads around Wales they're just un-believable & the views you get to go with it :remybussi , its just annoying having to slow down for the little villages you come across
I actually like the villages; they give you an opportunity to relax for a while. You're right; the views can be amazing.
Cheers, Chris.

JUDGENINJA
Monday 22nd August 2005, 00:28
A visitor to Anglesey and didn't come to see me...... :B_steerin
What was the event...Track day...?

jim_from_surrey
Monday 22nd August 2005, 01:01
any idea how much the front seats weigh?

these have got to be the heaviest "trim" items in the car - something i'd thought of before... i have a couple of Cobra Imola seats which must weigh a FRACTION of the volvo seats.

i know it all goes to pot as soon as you get a passenger or a full tank but for these extra bhp's/ton ?????????

chriskay
Monday 22nd August 2005, 10:03
A visitor to Anglesey and didn't come to see me...... :B_steerin
What was the event...Track day...?
Sorry, Judge; was very pressed for time. Yes, it was a track day.
Cheers, Chris.

p fandango
Monday 22nd August 2005, 14:17
I actually like the villages; they give you an opportunity to relax for a while. You're right; the views can be amazing.
Cheers, Chris.
i don't get to open BT up that often so like to make the most of the country lanes (the brakes don't like it that much tho lol), i find halve the challenge trying to find a suitable place to overtake other cars. Better to wait & make overly sure you've got enough room than to risk a head on

spin
Tuesday 23rd August 2005, 06:12
[QUOTE=jim_from_surrey]any idea how much the front seats weigh?

The seats weigh 24.5 kgs each. I was the one at Anglesey with the stripped out S70. I haven`t weighed all the trim but it must be over 100kgs in total. Just need to try and sell the trim. The car seams to sit about 1/2 inch higher now so now need to get it lowered.

jim_from_surrey
Tuesday 23rd August 2005, 23:21
100kilo less is not to be sniffed at! any idea of time gains etc?

p fandango
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 14:14
100kilo less is not to be sniffed at! any idea of time gains etc?
i took just over 100kg of stereo out of BT & shaved half a second off my time at the pod, they were timed on different days so there could be more to it than that

madness
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 15:50
when i want to lighten up i just ask the wife to walk

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 15:52

:jaw: LOL!!

x

siamblue
Saturday 27th August 2005, 18:14

That was soo nasty but funny as heck.I have heard from some peeps in the states that the carpets weigh a ton with all the sound insulation on them,

Good luck Al. Maybe if your girlfriend drove and you got out it would be lighter too lol Only joking with you.

Gary

V70Man
Saturday 27th August 2005, 21:27
I remember years ago one of the Rally teams (Think it was Subaru) paid the co-driver £20,000 to lose a stone, as this was cheaper than finding ways to lose more weight in the car. I think it might have been Grist (Mcrae's co-driver).

Vikingxl
Saturday 27th August 2005, 21:39
Does anybody want to pay me 20 grand to loose a stone ?

p fandango
Saturday 27th August 2005, 21:47
I remember years ago one of the Rally teams (Think it was Subaru) paid the co-driver £20,000 to lose a stone, as this was cheaper than finding ways to lose more weight in the car. I think it might have been Grist (Mcrae's co-driver).
if Grist had any sense he'd have gone to the F*rd manager & ask if they'd pay £30k for him to put on a stone lol

get Subaru/F*rd competiting against each other & either diet or pig out depending who paid the most

siamblue
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 19:53
Al another good way of weight sdaving is to fit a carbon fibre bonnet and plastic wings, A plastic boot will save you a whole load of weigh too, Have you thought about taken the eleccy window motors out and the winder mechs as they weigh a ton too.

Al115
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 20:19
Thanks for the suggestions Gary, I had thought of the bonnet and the wings, but not the boot... nor the winder mechanisms! :)

Rufe
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 20:42
dont know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but if you have air con, bin it. get rid of as mch of it as you can, and you will save a good few kg's, with the compressor, condensor, evaporator, drier and all the pipes. dont know how much exaclty, but got to be a good start for you. see if you can find figures for weights of the car with and without aircon.

p fandango
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 20:52
dont know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but if you have air con, bin it.
& you get the benefit of moving another obstruction out the way of the intercooler :remybussi

Al115
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 23:16
Are you kidding, it's over 30 degrees here every day!!! I will happily throw out seats, spare wheels, trim, etc, but the AirCon is staying!!! LOL

A good idea, apart from that, as I bet it weighs a LOT.

Keep the suggestions coming guys...

siamblue
Tuesday 6th September 2005, 09:31
Hi Al been thinking some more on the lightening, Lighter wheels would be a expensive option but my 18" Tritons weighed a ton without the tyre 24kg each,
What about replacing the passenger door windows with perspex,Bumpers you could take out the inserts and just leave the outter shell if you could get it to stay on,

Good luck mate lol.

p fandango
Tuesday 6th September 2005, 09:47
Are you kidding, it's over 30 degrees here every day!!! I will happily throw out seats, spare wheels, trim, etc, but the AirCon is staying!!! LOL
your happy to drive sitting on the floor but not get a little bit warm :slap: lol

i'd still love a carbon fibre bonnet (& other panels), group buy any one see if we can get someone to make them for us?

Ross9
Tuesday 6th September 2005, 10:30
excellent work Al :D

Ross

rs_andy
Wednesday 7th September 2005, 00:15
rear wash/wipe?

stereo/speakers?

could remove the glove box innards and the lower trim panels from the dashboard. getting really nasty now though.

grab handles too

Al115
Thursday 8th September 2005, 19:41
I like it!

Have thought about taking the glass out, at least in the load area, it's bloody heavy. I reckon you'd save quite a bit if you did the whole car except the windscreen and front pair.

Wheels... gonna be pricey :)

Rear wash/wipe is still useful, sadly. However the rear window winders are heavy (as was stated earlier) and those windows only wind halfway down anyway... hmm....

Stereo has to stay I'm afraid (it's just an amp wired into the speakers, no head unit).

Grab handles - I'm not quite at that stage yet (bet they only weigh 300g LOL) but I like the thinking!

Not sure about cutting the bumpers out though (aren't they there for a reason....?) ;)

p fandango
Thursday 8th September 2005, 19:45
Not sure about cutting the bumpers out though (aren't they there for a reason....?) ;)
Volvo put everything there for a reason, its just a case of which is more important the job they were intended for or the chance of losing ?kg's :remybussi