PDA

View Full Version : MAF problem

volvokid
Monday 26th December 2011, 12:05
I fitted my AMS (induction kit) a few weeks back, the car run like rubbish, and stopped revving to just under 2k on cold start up. I got my codes read and it showed a MAF code, the volvo dealer did a smoke test. and there was a leak between the MAF and my new AMS box, I had been told that anything pre MAF wont effect the engine so that leak shouldnt matter...... I got my codes reset and put the standard box back on, the car seemed to run fine and would idle at 2k again for the intial start up, but the MAF code would still ping back up. I changed my MAF on the 24th fitted my AMS took the car out and it was lumpy again and now isnt revving to the 2k initial start up. I did a battery reset today took the car out, it seemed fine but it started going lumpy again!!!!
Does the amount of airflow pre MAF make a difference???? and have I wasted £200 on a new MAF!!

merc85
Monday 26th December 2011, 16:57
I Dont know for sure, i have known of someone drilling holes in there air box then there 850 ran rough.

But others i know have , have been fine. try it without the intake.

Have disturbed any van line's on the intake somewhere?

Always go back to the last thing you have done before it ran rough. thats what i do in any fault finding.

volvokid
Monday 26th December 2011, 21:34
I did I put it back to standard before I changed the MAF and it still flicked a code on. Driving it today has put the engine system service warning on again!!!

graemewelch
Monday 26th December 2011, 22:12
ive got a spare fuel pressure sensor if you want to try that. sounds simular to symptoms they have when fails. two mins to try it and if dosnt work pop it back in post

volvokid
Monday 26th December 2011, 22:31
Thanks graeme, if it was that would there b a code?

graemewelch
Monday 26th December 2011, 22:46
not 100% sure to behonest. but for £2.50 postage then its got to be worth ago. i dont realy trust the codes that come up. i replaced mine for nothing after getting the codes read. if want to try it drop me a pt or somthing. its no bother to pop in post. i know how frustrating it is when these go wrong and the best you can do is rely and soe poxy codes

volvokid
Monday 26th December 2011, 23:08
Rite I have been put onto this link http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?140016-Air-Management-System-(AMS)-causing-CEL I'm peeved, I have sent a email to IPD but dout I will get anywere with them.
the link basicly says, the AMS is a waste of time and only works with certain maps. There are a few people that have been cought out having to replace MAF's for no reason!!!!! I cant afford to wast money on this type of stuff and TBF my G/F is really getting peeved with me and this car.

Thanks for your offer I may take you up on it :)

merc85
Monday 26th December 2011, 23:20
Rite I have been put onto this link http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?140016-Air-Management-System-(AMS)-causing-CEL I'm peeved, I have sent a email to IPD but dout I will get anywere with them.
the link basicly says, the AMS is a waste of time and only works with certain maps. There are a few people that have been cought out having to replace MAF's for no reason!!!!! I cant afford to wast money on this type of stuff and TBF my G/F is really getting peeved with me and this car.

Thanks for your offer I may take you up on it :)

Lets us know how you get on

volvokid
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 22:41
Took the car down to the garage and a MAF code was flagged again, after everything I have read about the AMS its almost 100% thats whats causing the issue!!!! raging the AMS cost $400 plus P/P and import tax and my new filler $130 plus P/P oh and £200 for a new MAF!!!!! I have also been told not to hold my breath when it comes to IPD's customer support..... Why do company's get of with this poor service.

volvokid
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 23:22
Here you go Graeme its the air box

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=2258

merc85
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 23:47
Here you go Graeme its the air box

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=2258

Mate thats bad buddy, i do feel your pain, Paying out for all that and it only cost you More.

volvokid
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 23:56
Thanks lad, I'm hoping to have a go with it after the summer, I just dont understand why IPD were selling this item if it doesnt work on cars with standard maps (thats what i've read into it anyway) they should make people aware of it. I posted this on T5D5 because I know there are a few people on there with these cars and they have heard lots of bad things about the AMS

LeeT5
Friday 30th December 2011, 03:03
Hate to say it Martyn but i think your jumping to the wrong conclusion.
You know i have the same car, Same AMS system and exactly the same stainless steel race filter as you. If i remove my BSR map with my ppc and put the oe map back on the car she drives absolutely perfect!! Doesn't miss a beat. Its also the same if i take off the oe map and reinstall the BSR map. Drives perfect. Accelerates hard and smooth and not lumpy.

After we spoke on the phone i got thinking about your issue and i know for a fact your missing something and because you don't know whats wrong, your blaming the AMS and filter.

Pre MAF air does NOT make a difference to the running of the car because it is unmetered and therefore not included in the cars mapped sensor inputs.

After i fitted my AMS, as you know i had a few minor issues. Totally normal and to be honest, totally expected as you are modifying the cars air induction for the better. Therefore any sensors that are weak or not working correctly will immediately rear their ugly heads!

From what you've said i am convinced you had a MAF issue but i also think your Turbo Control Solenoid (TCV) is knackered. Mine was and cause the car to run erratic and lumpy. The TCV is cheap and easy to replace. Change it and you will notice a difference. My Mate in Gravesend who has the same car as us also had exactly the same issue. He replaced his TCV with an IPD HD TCV, as did i and what a difference it makes! One other thing to check is your Fuel Pressure Sensor (FPS). That will give you the same symptoms. I know cos i had to replace mine a few months ago. Now my car drives like a dream, with or without the MAPPED software and utterly gorgeous with the AMS!!

Think about it mate....it can't be the AMS as its really only a bent piece of metal pipe with an airfilter on the end. LIke i told you, even with my AMS and airfilter disconnected...she runs perfect!

Check:

1. TCV
2. FPS
3. Vacuum hoses for splits or cracks. Replace with Silicone hose.

~YOU NEED TO GET A PROPER CODE READER, NOT A GENERIC ONE~

volvokid
Friday 30th December 2011, 11:20
I found this http://v70r.com/forums/topic/24325-elevate-ams-air-managemaent-system-install-first-drives/ everything this guy talks about is the same as me.

Thanks for replying to this Lee I was gonna ask you to remove your map and see how it run. I'm still going to remove the box. I cant be fiddling with the car anymore, go to get saving for this wedding but WILL be putting it back on after the summer and getting it sorted.

I cant believe all the negative feedback i've found about this part.

I will also get a code reader in the summer :) fingers x'd

LeeT5
Saturday 31st December 2011, 14:47
....yeah and in the second thread he explains that he replaced his MAF as the car threw 2 ECM codes, both relating to MAF. This is too be expected. Fact is, his MAF was already knackered, just the car was able to control its fuel metering as the induction flow was resticted by the oe paper filter.

Once the Race filter was fitted the MAF could not cope with the increased airflow and so the car spat its dummy out. Mine did the same thing as did my mates V70R. However, it can also cause other sensors to stick their heads over the parapet.

My car ran perfect (or so i thought) until i fitted my AMS. there was a ECM code stored when i bought it which said MAF but because the car was driving ok i ignored it. Then went on the PPC remap and it started to ££££ about. I had to replace the MAF else BSR would not warranty the ppc. So i replaced it and all was well. Then went on my AMS....then the car mucked about again. This time the TCV could not cope and then the FPS gave up too. Both replaced and now in a happy place.
I must say, the car handles and drives better than its ever done from day 1.
Starts perfect and idles cold at 2000rpm. Then 30 seconds later drops to 850 (or there abouts). Stays flat with no fluctuations. No lumpyness on hard acceleration and boost is perfect, smooth and full on.

Get your codes read before you do anything. I would leave the AMS on the car mate. There will be other codes not related to MAF, i bet.

LeeT5
Saturday 31st December 2011, 14:52
if its any consolation dude, the guy over the pond in the thread is also clutching at straws. Blaming the AMS because he has other issues with his car is not the way forward.
Having a 'screen' or not on your MAF makes no difference what so ever! Thats complete and utter nonsense.Its a shame your not down here. I would have your car sorted out in an afternoon fella.

LeeT5
Saturday 31st December 2011, 14:55
I found this http://v70r.com/forums/topic/24325-elevate-ams-air-managemaent-system-install-first-drives/

Thanks for replying to this Lee I was gonna ask you to remove your map and see how it run.

I have had my oe map on a few times over the last year and everytime it drives perfect.

Like i said, its NOT the AMS.

volvokid
Saturday 31st December 2011, 16:03
Lee I had my codes read again and it only flagged the MAF, also when Volvo read them other than telling me the shock code the only other code was the MAF, these were all done with the AMS on.

Elevate sent me an email;

The "problem" is likely in the software file you have. There was an engine software update that (among other things) "opened up" the window for readings on the MAF sensor. The MAF throws a code saying "flow too low". In fact, our AMS flows much more, but the range/window for what it likes to see it out of range on some software file versions.

Have you considered our Performance Software? It is by far the best "bang for the buck" and we can tailor the file to accommodate for your AMS.

Best Regards,
Don Nicholson

You wont believe the amount of different information I'm getting towards this :). I will be getting a code reader, just not yet. Like I said Lee I'm not giving up on this i'm just putting it on hold for now.......

LeeT5
Monday 2nd January 2012, 00:10
Lee I had my codes read again and it only flagged the MAF, also when Volvo read them other than telling me the shock code the only other code was the MAF, these were all done with the AMS on.

Elevate sent me an email;

The "problem" is likely in the software file you have. There was an engine software update that (among other things) "opened up" the window for readings on the MAF sensor. The MAF throws a code saying "flow too low". In fact, our AMS flows much more, but the range/window for what it likes to see it out of range on some software file versions.

Have you considered our Performance Software? It is by far the best "bang for the buck" and we can tailor the file to accommodate for your AMS.

Best Regards,
Don Nicholson

You wont believe the amount of different information I'm getting towards this :). I will be getting a code reader, just not yet. Like I said Lee I'm not giving up on this i'm just putting it on hold for now.......

What do you mean...only "flagged" the MAf? It either stores a fault code relating to a sensor or it doesn't.

Also, i did say that once the AMS is fitted then you will have MORE airflow. If Don is right and the cars software is old then you will need to get your software updated at the Dealer. I know that my car has the latest software.
No harm in asking the Dealer to check. Once they do so and update then the car should run perfect. No need to remove AMS, so the dealer can update with it on and with your new MAF.
best of luck mate.

volvokid
Monday 2nd January 2012, 09:34
I dont understand what you mean about the fault code,the last time i had my codes read was with my new MAF and there was a code relevent to the MAF stored.
The thing is dons not rite, I had everything checked by a main volvo dealership and i also got them to put the latest S/W on.
This is what i mean about getting lots of different info from people, i feel like a dog chasing its tail at the moment.