PDA

View Full Version : Definitely a noise from the rear.

Leeds_finest
Monday 26th December 2011, 10:17
On gear change, i'm getting a clunk from the rear of the car.

Could it be something to do with prop shaft or drive shafts? Does anything wear out and require replacing?

Does the rear need XC90 'anti ping' bolts too?

...and Merry Christmas.

volvokid
Monday 26th December 2011, 10:41
On gear change, i'm getting a clunk from the rear of the car.

Could it be something to do with prop shaft or drive shafts? Does anything wear out and require replacing?

Does the rear need XC90 'anti ping' bolts too?

...and Merry Christmas.

Have you checked your car has the latest S/W? I dont know how it can but apparently the latest S/W is supposed to get rid of some of the clunks......

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 27th December 2011, 18:38
Have you checked your car has the latest S/W? I dont know how it can but apparently the latest S/W is supposed to get rid of some of the clunks......

No way seriously?

No I haven't checked if it has the latest software, i'm guessing it costs a lot to have it updated etc?

Cheers

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 27th December 2011, 19:11
I know on the old AWD (mechanical) the CV joints on the ends of the propshafts wear and clunks. Mine is getting quite bad now LOL. You can have the propshaft reconditioned.

Santa
Tuesday 27th December 2011, 19:38
AOC can clunk with older software.....may also be worth seeing if it happens without the traction control on

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 11:53
I know on the old AWD (mechanical) the CV joints on the ends of the propshafts wear and clunks. Mine is getting quite bad now LOL. You can have the propshaft reconditioned.

Ok so is mine the same on 2004 S60 AWD?

AOC can clunk with older software.....may also be worth seeing if it happens without the traction control on

Ok cheers Rich - does Chad charge much to update software?

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 17:09
Ok so is mine the same on 2004 S60 AWD?
I'm guessing they use the same components, just the awd is electronically controlled and apparently are more forgiving. Some of the guys with newer awds might have better info.

Santa
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 17:37
Ok cheers Rich - does Chad charge much to update software?
I just pay the bills mate I don't look at the costs lol

Take it down and ask em to take a look ;-)

LeeT5
Friday 30th December 2011, 03:16
Latest software only addresses SUM calibration and the stiffness of the shocks.
Once downloaded to the car it is totally unreverseable, however, for the record - i noticed an immediate difference and 'knocking' in the suspension (only really felt in Comfort or sport, NOT Advanced) completely disappeared.

The knocking noise that your referring too when you change gear, is NOT the suspension knocking. Its play in the AWD and differs from car to car depending on the amount of wear.

If i change gear harsh and quickly then my car does knock slightly. If i change gear smoothly and gently then it doesn't. Even Volvo dealer noted it on my last service/road test. Just make sure that your Diffs are correctly filled with the right gear oil and live with it. Overhauling the propshaft may decrease the knocking somewhat and is something that i am considering in the summer. It won't erradicate it all as you will still have play in the driveline and gearbox.