PDA

View Full Version : 16t housing + 18t chra

bigrotch
Sunday 25th December 2011, 19:27
hi would a new 18t chra fit in my 16t houseing with out any machining need doing to the houseing....

take in to consideration im a engineer and can machine the houseing no probs my self

dalhousie2008
Sunday 25th December 2011, 20:09
Maybe if it's the angled housing? Like mine with 3 inch exit

dalhousie2008
Sunday 25th December 2011, 20:09
Possibly wouldn't need machining

bigrotch
Sunday 25th December 2011, 20:10
its a straight houseing

T4Rick
Sunday 25th December 2011, 20:11
Im sure it would need machining mate.I even look in to using the td05 grear ont he td04 chra

dalhousie2008
Sunday 25th December 2011, 20:15
Could you not find a cheap 3 inch angled 16t

dalhousie2008
Sunday 25th December 2011, 20:17
I read on here somewhere that the angled 16t's are very close to the 18t's performance wise, would be interesting to see how good they can be. I have that 850r in the garage with a blown turbo, so rather than replace it with a straight I might put the angled on, but it's all time with me.

bigrotch
Sunday 25th December 2011, 20:21
not shore the angled houseing helps much in performance wise its more the actual 16t chra as u can see 15g and 16t there isnt much between them but the 18t there is,, i mite be wrong tho

dalhousie2008
Sunday 25th December 2011, 20:25
On thread speaks of the volume being bigger because of the 3 inch exit and bent flange and it makes a fare difference apparently, but again I'm no expert.

bigrotch
Sunday 25th December 2011, 20:30
dont get me wrong i was disapointed in my 16t its a pukka condition but didnt get the bang i wanted.. my fault i should have done more research.... so im either goin 16t houseing 18tchra or kkk k24 and manifold mmmmmmm

merc85
Sunday 25th December 2011, 20:56
dont get me wrong i was disapointed in my 16t its a pukka condition but didnt get the bang i wanted.. my fault i should have done more research.... so im either goin 16t houseing 18tchra or kkk k24 and manifold mmmmmmm

If you do your research and got the doller, i'd say get the k24.

Idealy you want a 18t tho mate lol (but i would say that)

smithy
Sunday 25th December 2011, 21:21
get a hybrid 16t done should push more power than a standard 18t will be straight bolt on .and you know its had a rebuild so will push the power alot better being rebuilt.andyr car has a modded 15g and that goes well mate but at the end of the day its your money but im thinking of you pushing the rods to the max putting a bigger turbo on like the kkk24 etc.i know what i would do if you want keep the standard rods mate

merc85
Sunday 25th December 2011, 21:24
get a hybrid 16t done should push more power than a standard 18t will be straight bolt on .and you know its had a rebuild so will push the power alot better being rebuilt.andyr car has a modded 15g and that goes well mate but at the end of the day its your money but im thinking of you pushing the rods to the max putting a bigger turbo on like the kkk24 etc.i know what i would do if you want keep the standard rods mate

Would be interesting know how much one of those would cost.

smithy
Sunday 25th December 2011, 21:25
Would be interesting know how much one of those would cost.

last time i checked around 350 mate

bigrotch
Sunday 25th December 2011, 21:31
last time i checked around 350 mate

thats the sort of price i can get the kk24 and extras for, the 16t hybrid would bolt straight on etc aswell i take it as its the same houseing mmmmmmm where abouts from

mitchyboy01
Sunday 25th December 2011, 21:33

I thought it was low rpm boost that kills the rods? Therefore using a bigger turbo will push full boost higher in the revs and not be an issue? TCode made 400bhp on his T4 with standard bottom end which uses the same rods as the 850's. It's more about careful mapping to limit boost in the lower rev range rather than the size of the turbo, obviously within reason lol

bigrotch
Sunday 25th December 2011, 21:35
hows the holst going mitchy

mitchyboy01
Sunday 25th December 2011, 21:42
hows the holst going mitchy

Hi mate. Hardware wise all that's left it's just modding the fuel system to add a return and Adjustable FPR, fabricating an actuator bracket, oil return for the turbo and fit the AFR and boost gauges. I cant take credit for all the work as my freind who has a workshop has done most of it for me! I dont have the space and he enjoys one off jobs like mine rather than run of the mill servicing. In the new year it will be going to redline tuning for a unichip Q+, injectors and mapping. Can't bloody wait mate. Had a lot of advice from smithy along the way who has helped me out a lot!! i just hope the turbo is big enough or there will be an HX35 going on soon haha

smithy
Sunday 25th December 2011, 21:54
I thought it was low rpm boost that kills the rods? Therefore using a bigger turbo will push full boost higher in the revs and not be an issue? TCode made 400bhp on his T4 with standard bottom end which uses the same rods as the 850's. It's more about careful mapping to limit boost in the lower rev range rather than the size of the turbo, obviously within reason lol

im thinking ease of fitting etc but yes you can bigger turbos with standard rods but to get the most out of a bigger turbo you really need to turn the boost up .and i also like loads of torque too but thats just me lol

mitchyboy01
Sunday 25th December 2011, 22:03
im thinking ease of fitting etc but yes you can bigger turbos with standard rods but to get the most out of a bigger turbo you really need to turn the boost up .and i also like loads of torque too but thats just me lol

tcode
I have 530HP and 610Nm on stock rods. So any forged H beam should be stronger and fine.
Apr 29 2011 08:06 AM

Plenty of torque and boost mate but obviously using a big turbo and high revs. That quote was from tcodes profile feed on 30forty50

smithy
Sunday 25th December 2011, 22:19
tcode
I have 530HP and 610Nm on stock rods. So any forged H beam should be stronger and fine.
Apr 29 2011 08:06 AM

Plenty of torque and boost mate but obviously using a big turbo and high revs. That quote was from tcodes profile feed on 30forty50

all depends on what car we are talking about mate i would like to see a white block take that power and torque on standard rods lol.anything can be done if you are willing to take a risk and this is what i do most of the time lol.im not saying dont use a kkk24 on standard rods im just saying you might start to push the engine thats all.imho i prefer to build an engine if im going to start putting alot bigger turbos on but thats just me

mitchyboy01
Sunday 25th December 2011, 22:26
all depends on what car we are talking about mate i would like to see a white block take that power and torque on standard rods lol.anything can be done if you are willing to take a risk and this is what i do most of the time lol.im not saying dont use a kkk24 on standard rods im just saying you might start to push the engine thats all.imho i prefer to build an engine if im going to start putting alot bigger turbos on but thats just me

Car was a Volvo T4 mate. Standard bottom end B4194T. Same as the 850 minus 1 cylinder. 1855cc t4 is 80% of 2319cc so all components the same.
I defo see what your saying Smithy and you are right, but sometimes I think people spent so much on rebuilding an engine when a careful map is all that's needed. Mind you, low RPM boost is fun, that's why I bought my forged lump lol

smithy
Monday 26th December 2011, 12:42
Car was a Volvo T4 mate. Standard bottom end B4194T. Same as the 850 minus 1 cylinder. 1855cc t4 is 80% of 2319cc so all components the same.
I defo see what your saying Smithy and you are right, but sometimes I think people spent so much on rebuilding an engine when a careful map is all that's needed. Mind you, low RPM boost is fun, that's why I bought my forged lump lol

you can use any standard whiteblock and make 400 bhp out of it if its mapped to bring the power futher up the rev range like 4k onwards but the problem is that you have to rev the gonads off it to get any power just like a vetec but with only a 6.5 limit though.

mitchyboy01
Monday 26th December 2011, 14:25
you can use any standard whiteblock and make 400 bhp out of it if its mapped to bring the power futher up the rev range like 4k onwards but the problem is that you have to rev the gonads off it to get any power just like a vetec but with only a 6.5 limit though.

I suppose it depends ultimately on budget and what the persons goals are. Mind you Pyaap revs his T4 to 9400 rpm using the standard valve train lol

smithy
Monday 26th December 2011, 14:45
I suppose it depends ultimately on budget and what the persons goals are. Mind you Pyaap revs his T4 to 9400 rpm using the standard valve train lol

he may do but these engines suffer from valve bounce after 7k thats why i put stronger springs in mine so it would rev up to 8k if i wanted with no valve bounce .what peeps want to do to there cars is upto those peeps me i like to build something that can take the crap im going to give it and be safe but thats me lol.

T4Rick
Monday 26th December 2011, 16:25

Tcode was at 500bhp plus last time i looked which wasnt long ago,he was also using n/a cams and running garret.his mate was running 600bhp on forged internals using a holset in the s40