PDA

View Full Version : Couple of General T5 related questions!

lew_vrs
Saturday 24th December 2011, 13:02
I've had a search but I'm useless at searching on forums.

I've said my hello's and have been snooping around the past few days looking at some projects and stuff.. All looks good and the forum as a whole looks like a good community!

So I've so far whittled my choices down to pretty much anything with a T5 engine for the moment so yeah.. I like the whole volvo range. Will probably be an ex police motor.

From what I've seen they tend to be very reliable in general (massive miles on the whole) but are there many common problems? Is there a buyers guide etc. for a general idea.

I've read a lot about heaters not working but that's about it really.. Besides that what's common to look for?

Also..Looking at maps and it seems RICA are the way to go with the Volvos.

How much is a RICA map and what actual power figures will be gained (maybe slightly optimistic power quotes, as to be expected).. It says on their site from £199 so I can damn guess it's not going to be £199. It's just I want to budget for a model, map and exhaust system (the common stuff) so I need a ball park figure really.

Also, how strong are the standard internals? Will they reliably run with big power before needing to be forged?

What are the clutches like to change? Is it expensive Dual mass rubbish like my skoda which is the best part of £800 for a change.

Do they tend to use any oil/water in general?

Many issues with head gasket failure?

Also, what fuel economy do you get average? Is 40 mpg impossible if driving steady?

I know it's all very general stuff but I just want an idea!

Many Thanks
Lew

M-R-P
Saturday 24th December 2011, 13:30
40mpg - no. 23-34 maybe more with a remap.
Clutch is 300-500 depending who does it and yes dual mass.
Engine is good for 300bhp+ on standard internals.
Head gaskets don't go very often.
Pcv is known to block but is relatively easy to sort.
HLM - are doing a 300 quid remap.
Explode should be 2500 for a reasonable example.

Best I can do for now. Good luck;)

lew_vrs
Saturday 24th December 2011, 13:36
You're the man, Martin :)

M-R-P
Saturday 24th December 2011, 13:48
I try lol. There are many more knowledgeable chaps here, I just got there first.
So, looking for a phase 2 explode then? Remember what I said in a previous thread, go for '04 onward to save yourself some heartache (and money)

lew_vrs
Saturday 24th December 2011, 13:50
I try lol. There are many more knowledgeable chaps here, I just got there first.
So, looking for a phase 2 explode then? Remember what I said in a previous thread, go for '04 onward to save yourself some heartache (and money)

Sorry, When you say Explode does that mean Ex plod right?!

when you say prior to 04 have problems.. What is it in particular?

lance
Saturday 24th December 2011, 13:56
40 MPG is easily acheivable on a long run keeping to or just below the legal limits from the S40, C30 & V50 T5s (same lump as the Focus ST) they have lots of low down grunt and a 6 speed gearbox. Not quite as quick top end as the 2.3 and 2.4s in the 70 series but similar power delivery to an a d5 bottom with an 850 T5 rev range if that makes sence.

M-R-P
Saturday 24th December 2011, 14:02
Sorry, When you say Explode does that mean Ex plod right?!

when you say prior to 04 have problems.. What is it in particular?

Sorry, auto complete on my phone is a bit stupid! Older P2 models have electrical problems, mainly the speedo. See my "is it worthit thread ;)

lew_vrs
Saturday 24th December 2011, 14:11
Sorry, auto complete on my phone is a bit stupid! Older P2 models have electrical problems, mainly the speedo. See my "is it worthit thread ;)

Ha, I thought it might have been some forum lingo! ;)

I will have a look at the thread

lew_vrs
Saturday 24th December 2011, 14:14
Ah fair enough! I will have about 4-5k to spend all together so I'd like something real tidy :)

t5_monkey
Saturday 24th December 2011, 16:34
ex plod can be a bit tired - good cars but be prepared to do some maintenence.

S40 is a bit less tunable on the engine side, but a Focus chassis so handles awesomely with the right mods. S40 T5's are going for crazy money at the moment - one was sold for 3 grand on here, 4-5 will get you a reasonable 04-05 plate one.

In Stock form despite what many say about the S60 being faster, the power to weight ratio and manufacturers performance figures are virtually identical between the S40 T5 and the S60 T5 as the S40 only weighs 1400kg.

S40 is a bit smaller and less luxurious than the S60 - which although the S40 is nice, is nowhere near as plush as the S60.

Basically big barge with loads of power - S60 T5

Something that has serious B-road weapon potential - S40 T5

lew_vrs
Saturday 24th December 2011, 17:18
ex plod can be a bit tired - good cars but be prepared to do some maintenence.

S40 is a bit less tunable on the engine side, but a Focus chassis so handles awesomely with the right mods. S40 T5's are going for crazy money at the moment - one was sold for 3 grand on here, 4-5 will get you a reasonable 04-05 plate one.

In Stock form despite what many say about the S60 being faster, the power to weight ratio and manufacturers performance figures are virtually identical between the S40 T5 and the S60 T5 as the S40 only weighs 1400kg.

S40 is a bit smaller and less luxurious than the S60 - which although the S40 is nice, is nowhere near as plush as the S60.

Basically big barge with loads of power - S60 T5

Something that has serious B-road weapon potential - S40 T5

I will take the luxurious big barge with loads of power!
What can you do to make them handle better?

T5frankie
Saturday 24th December 2011, 18:35
you don't want ex plod mate,. usually really basic inside with big miles and have been thrashed some with holes in the dash or body, why choose that when you can a normal one? if you want a good motor thats tunable get an 850 t5 or a phase 1 v70 t5 but get a manual. the newer ones cant keep up with the older ones, and alot cheaper to insure mate. for that money you have get a mint manual 850r and pay your insurance

M-R-P
Saturday 24th December 2011, 18:35
I'll get in on this before the monkey does... Polybush the suspension. S60 wishbone polys cost 35 quid and take about 3 hours to fit. Better shocks, even top spec oe ones (i have Boge utomatic) will make a big difference too. ;)

M-R-P
Saturday 24th December 2011, 18:40
you don't want ex plod mate,. usually really basic inside with big miles and have been thrashed some with holes in the dash or body, why choose that when you can a normal one? if you want a good motor thats tunable get an 850 t5 or a phase 1 v70 t5 but get a manual. the newer ones cant keep up with the older ones, and alot cheaper to insure mate

Unless you wanna go fast in comfort.
Pound for pound, a remapped P2 will take a REMapped P1.
Ex plod are basic, there's a few about with eather etc. and my local scrappy will sell you a complete interior for 60 quid any-hoo.

lew_vrs
Saturday 24th December 2011, 18:41
you don't want ex plod mate,. usually really basic inside with big miles and have been thrashed some with holes in the dash or body, why choose that when you can a normal one? if you want a good motor thats tunable get an 850 t5 or a phase 1 v70 t5 but get a manual. the newer ones cant keep up with the older ones, and alot cheaper to insure mate. for that money you have get a mint manual 850r and pay your insurance

I'm not going to get an R.. but an 850T5 or V70 T5 would be nice. It's just rare to have a manual as well. Just have to wait and see at the time

T5frankie
Saturday 24th December 2011, 18:51
Unless you wanna go fast in comfort.
Pound for pound, a remapped P2 will take a REMapped P1.
Ex plod are basic, there's a few about with eather etc. and my local scrappy will sell you a complete interior for 60 quid any-hoo.

yeah but a remap is about all you can do mate where a ph. 1 there are umpteen different things you can do, and a remapped phase 2 will not keep up with an 850 t5 mate never, barnsley bills was only getting high 14's on the strip and dont his have 400bhp or so?

T5frankie
Saturday 24th December 2011, 18:51
I'm not going to get an R.. but an 850T5 or V70 T5 would be nice. It's just rare to have a manual as well. Just have to wait and see at the time

manuals aint that rare probably 25%

M-R-P
Saturday 24th December 2011, 19:17
I thought Barnsley Bill's was awd? lots of places to lose power there ;)
I recon, if I stripped mine down to the weight of a P1, it would be a different story. 16T, and my naughty LK gearbox... one day :)

graemewelch
Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 18:04
if you want a good motor thats tunable get an 850 t5 or a phase 1 v70 t5 but get a manual. the newer ones cant keep up with the older ones

not if you get a 2.4 t5.

Chad
Wednesday 4th January 2012, 18:15
I've had a search but I'm useless at searching on forums.

I've said my hello's and have been snooping around the past few days looking at some projects and stuff.. All looks good and the forum as a whole looks like a good community!

So I've so far whittled my choices down to pretty much anything with a T5 engine for the moment so yeah.. I like the whole volvo range. Will probably be an ex police motor.

From what I've seen they tend to be very reliable in general (massive miles on the whole) but are there many common problems? Is there a buyers guide etc. for a general idea.

I've read a lot about heaters not working but that's about it really.. Besides that what's common to look for?

Also..Looking at maps and it seems RICA are the way to go with the Volvos.

How much is a RICA map and what actual power figures will be gained (maybe slightly optimistic power quotes, as to be expected).. It says on their site from £199 so I can damn guess it's not going to be £199. It's just I want to budget for a model, map and exhaust system (the common stuff) so I need a ball park figure really.

Also, how strong are the standard internals? Will they reliably run with big power before needing to be forged?

What are the clutches like to change? Is it expensive Dual mass rubbish like my skoda which is the best part of £800 for a change.

Do they tend to use any oil/water in general?

Many issues with head gasket failure?

Also, what fuel economy do you get average? Is 40 mpg impossible if driving steady?

I know it's all very general stuff but I just want an idea!

Many Thanks
Lew

Hi Lew,

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the rica website which will give the information on the remaps available for different range of T5 engines.

www.rica-uk.com

the mpg will vary depending on how its driven., but i have never known a mapped up T5 to have anything above 33mpg, thats from my own experience and customer testamonials.

Then again, most people i think who have a mapped T5 always tend enjoy the extra power...

What T5 you looking for? Early? Late? Manual? Auto?

if in budget, then i would personally recommend the S60/V70 T5 2005> with the 2.4 lump, 6 speed manual box, and it has the same kkk turbo (but without the v-band) as the S60/V70R. Some people have had some very nice results from this turbo on various T5 lumps.

also, depends on what your looking for from your T5?

hope this helps a little,

Chad

lance
Friday 6th January 2012, 13:13
My phase 1 with a 19T did 37.1 mpg sat at 70 mph speedo for 75 miles but in the real world low 30s on a good run & 23-27 most of the time