PDA

View Full Version : A worrying amount of lift off oversteer..

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 24th December 2011, 02:01
Any arm chair mechanics out there can help me with a query?

In the V70 I have an unacceptable amount of lift off over steer. I have a bend on the way into my work that I consistantly slide on(some times intentionally as it is really easy to do).

Pressures and treads are fine on the tyres, but I just wondered if it pointed to a specific area of the car such as anti roll bar bushes or something??

I get some of the same with the V40, but no where near as bad.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 24th December 2011, 02:05
Erm - slow down a bit?

M-R-P
Saturday 24th December 2011, 02:22
Erm - slow down a bit?

Haha, nice 1 Dave!
Could it be the road surface? do you get this problem elsewhere?
On the way to the inlaws, there's a right-hander, down a slope. I can comfortably take it at 30mph, i.e. nothing rolls about in the boot, but there's a manhole cover, half way round and the back kicks-out a little on that in the wet.

p fandango
Saturday 24th December 2011, 06:59
has the road recently been resurfaced? I can think of 2 places in Cov that for some reason the tarmac has a lower adhesion than other roads, take the corners at normal pace & you'll still lose grip, & i've seen many others slide in the same places

Toad740
Saturday 24th December 2011, 08:00
I get this ALL the time as well in the estate on most corners.. me dad calls it 'lead footedness' :|

t5_monkey
Saturday 24th December 2011, 08:36
What Tyres have you go on the rear?

I had a set of Avon ZZ1 on the back (awful in the wet) and CC3 on the front (amazing in the wet) and mine was terrifying to drive due in damp conditions to snap oversteer - changed the ZZ1's ASAP for CC3's.

T5frankie
Saturday 24th December 2011, 08:48
i had the same when i had a set of winter tyres on the rear

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 24th December 2011, 11:49
....slow down..... Dave That's like swearing...!!

Make of tyres... Who knows, some budget make I think.?

The road it's self is about 4years old, but being an industrial estate I'm thinking that the HGV's diesel and tyre wear maybe a factor.

Had had a similar experience on another bend on the estate where I managed to flip the car into a kerb.

I know that there is something not quite right under the car, but i was just wondering if It specifically could be Suspension or wishbones or bushes that if floppy introduce this dangerous effect in the roads..?

If not then I'll just keep on playing, as it's quite fun..

M-R-P
Saturday 24th December 2011, 12:29
Nutter ;) cheap crappy tyres plus dodgy non-road use tarmac would probably add up to cornering problems. Have you had the rear geometry checked recently? Youll tend not to feel the back as prominently as the front if its out. Most places will lazer your wheels for free. Best get it checked before you go spending money on it.

p fandango
Saturday 24th December 2011, 12:35
Bonny went thru a phase of not feeling right, wasn't until i was getting a tyre fitted they asked if i knew about the broken bar on the back

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/Bonny/DSCF0002.jpg

M-R-P
Saturday 24th December 2011, 12:38
:eek: like I said, you don't always feel problems with the rear wheels!

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 24th December 2011, 12:39
Mmmm that doesn't look good..

Ade
Saturday 24th December 2011, 14:17
Any arm chair mechanics out there can help me with a query?

In the V70 I have an unacceptable amount of lift off over steer. I have a bend on the way into my work that I consistantly slide on(some times intentionally as it is really easy to do).

Pressures and treads are fine on the tyres, but I just wondered if it pointed to a specific area of the car such as anti roll bar bushes or something??

I get some of the same with the V40, but no where near as bad.

There are various bushes that can cause this effect, I've had it on a good few cars. Usually rear subframe/rear tie rod type bushes. Basically ones that allow the toe in of the rear wheels to change under load. My 850 was quite like this until I had some rear bushes done. I've also had a badly worn stub axle on an Alfa which caused this problem. The bearing was moving about resulting in variable camber!

If you've seen to the obvious stuff like pressures, and there's nothing with SERIOUS play in the front end I'd say rear bushes. Just need to get investigating and find out which.

jardon
Saturday 24th December 2011, 14:45
Rear positive camber or toe out? Stiffer rear springs/shocks than front? Broken front ARB or drop link? inappropriate tyre mix front to rear? No idea on rear bushes.

Ade
Saturday 24th December 2011, 15:24
Oh yeah, knackered drop links also cause these symptoms quite commonly.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 25th December 2011, 01:37
I'm actually going to have to get off the sofa and have a look sometime... Well Christmas day maybe the perfect opportunity, not much going on here.

M-R-P
Sunday 25th December 2011, 01:39
I'm actually going to have to get off the sofa and have a loom sometime... Well Christmas day maybe the perfect opportunity, not much going on here.

I'm guessing you mean look? lol

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 25th December 2011, 07:01
No I'm making up New words for Christmas... (stupid predictive text!!!)

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 25th December 2011, 07:02
Ha edited....!!

M-R-P
Sunday 25th December 2011, 07:25
Haha, (or hoho) go have a look, book, crook etc.
Happy crimbo mate.

manback
Tuesday 27th December 2011, 10:14
....and the prize for "thread title i thought i'd never see on a volvo forum" goes to JUDGENINJA.

lol

i wish i could get the back end out sounds like something wrong mate tbh! the only time i had a volvo sideways was when i put my worn out front tyres on the back and fotgot untill i goto to a snow covered corner last year!

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 27th December 2011, 10:55
Ah well thanks...

Lift off over steer is easy to do, both my 850, V40 and now my v70 do it.

On the entrance to my industrial estate the V40 slides well, but I keep managing to flip the V70 into an 180degree spin at 30-40mph which was the reason for the post.

I've got Video footage from inside the 850 on Bruntingthorpe of me sliding.

Anyway I think I've got a knackered front wishbone

M-R-P
Tuesday 27th December 2011, 13:15
Time for polybushes then Wayne? ;)

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 27th December 2011, 13:42
yep possibly, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be keeping it now... I thinking of a complete change

manback
Tuesday 27th December 2011, 16:29
Ah well thanks...

Lift off over steer is easy to do, both my 850, V40 and now my v70 do it.

On the entrance to my industrial estate the V40 slides well, but I keep managing to flip the V70 into an 180degree spin at 30-40mph which was the reason for the post.

I've got Video footage from inside the 850 on Bruntingthorpe of me sliding.

Anyway I think I've got a knackered front wishbone

you must be trying harded than me then, are you flicking the car to start the slide? i used to have a 172 clio which would do it all the time, my volvos just understeer into bends like the barges they are.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 28th December 2011, 02:00
No need to give it the swedish flick the V40 or 70..I've got a mount for the Iphone..maybe I'll youtube it tomorrow..

On the track with the 850 it was slightly different, so yes a bit of assistance was required to get it to go..