PDA

View Full Version : Idle question 2004 S60R

Leeds_finest
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 20:38
I just wondered what regulates the idle on a P2 S60?

Does it have an idle control valve on the inlet somewhere? Or does it use crank sensors or map sensors etc?

Thanks guys

LeeT5
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 20:47
I just wondered what regulates the idle on a P2 S60?

Does it have an idle control valve on the inlet somewhere? Or does it use crank sensors or map sensors etc?

Thanks guys

ME7.07 engine does not have an idle control valve. Its all done by MAP and crank/Camshaft/Throttle/MAF sensors.

Idle should be 750rpm +/- 50rpm.

Leeds_finest
Friday 23rd December 2011, 00:29
ME7.07 engine does not have an idle control valve. Its all done by MAP and crank/Camshaft/Throttle/MAF sensors.

Idle should be 750rpm +/- 50rpm.

Ok, so is that the management used on my car?

Sometimes when I switch it on, warm or cold, the idle isn't always 100% stable and fluctuates slightly.

I can't go about cleaning all those sensors as it's probably more hassle than worth, but maybe a new set of plugs? What do you reckon?

Also, i'm aware the air conditioning 'on' will cause the idle to fluctuate, but it does it with the A/C 'off' too.

Thanks

LeeT5
Sunday 8th January 2012, 22:31
Ok, so is that the management used on my car?

Sometimes when I switch it on, warm or cold, the idle isn't always 100% stable and fluctuates slightly.

I can't go about cleaning all those sensors as it's probably more hassle than worth, but maybe a new set of plugs? What do you reckon?

Also, i'm aware the air conditioning 'on' will cause the idle to fluctuate, but it does it with the A/C 'off' too.

Thanks

You'll more likely damage the sensor by trying to clean them. How many miles has your car done? Is it due a set of plugs? If so, replace them!!

To answer your Qs...Yes it is the Management system on your car.

I've said it a million times and i'll say it again, you need to have your codes read by a PROPER code reader that can read Volvo code, ie ECM 1234. Not a generic code reader that just gives you a P0**** code.

Make a note of the codes then clear ALL the ecu's of the codes. Then drive the car for 50 or so miles ensuring you have at least 5 - 10 cold starts or normal starts in that process. Then, re-read the codes and note which ones re appear.
Only then will you find the offending culprit. Do that then come back to this thread with the codes, otherwise your wasting your time.

For the record: Bad idle or fluctuating idle can be caused by many things including FPS, MAF, Crank sensor, Worn spark plugs, vac leak, throttle potentiometer, throttle pos' switch...etc etc. hense why you must read the cars.

jay30h
Monday 9th January 2012, 07:26
I agree with LeeT5 however i had a similar problem on my s60R
I had the injectors cleaned by jim on the voc forum and performance and idleing is much better

M-R-P
Monday 9th January 2012, 08:15
Nobody's mentioned the revs rising to 1200 rpm when started from very cold -0, then settling down to 650-750 when it warms up a bit ;)
There ya go lol :)

Leeds_finest
Monday 9th January 2012, 17:15
You'll more likely damage the sensor by trying to clean them. How many miles has your car done? Is it due a set of plugs? If so, replace them!!

To answer your Qs...Yes it is the Management system on your car.

I've said it a million times and i'll say it again, you need to have your codes read by a PROPER code reader that can read Volvo code, ie ECM 1234. Not a generic code reader that just gives you a P0**** code.

Make a note of the codes then clear ALL the ecu's of the codes. Then drive the car for 50 or so miles ensuring you have at least 5 - 10 cold starts or normal starts in that process. Then, re-read the codes and note which ones re appear.
Only then will you find the offending culprit. Do that then come back to this thread with the codes, otherwise your wasting your time.

For the record: Bad idle or fluctuating idle can be caused by many things including FPS, MAF, Crank sensor, Worn spark plugs, vac leak, throttle potentiometer, throttle pos' switch...etc etc. hense why you must read the cars.

I'm not sure if it's due plugs i'll check service history.

I've got VIDA and DICE, although I don't know how to clear the codes. Plus, with 2011A being such a pain in the arse to install on most computers, it will only work on my friends computer which is a desktop, hence I cannot access VIDA/DICE too easily :(

...oh and it's done 110k.

I agree with LeeT5 however i had a similar problem on my s60R
I had the injectors cleaned by jim on the voc forum and performance and idleing is much better

I'll look into this, thanks.

Santa
Monday 9th January 2012, 17:56
Mine did this when I had a duff battery years ago