PDA

View Full Version : Uprated clutch/flywheel

MattM
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 15:50
Are there any decent options to consider for my car? I may have to change the clutch/flywheel soon and wonder if staying stock is best or for no much more cash I can get something better.

p fandango
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 16:43
Are there any decent options to consider for my car? I may have to change the clutch/flywheel soon and wonder if staying stock is best or for no much more cash I can get something better.
standard will be the legendary DMF (dual mass flywheel), personally i'd replace it with a single mass to save any future bother LINK (http://www.ttvracing.com/Volvoflywheel.html)

Alan M
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 17:26
You can keep the standard clutch setup and buy a single mass flywheel to suit your application from Kalmar union.

Kingsford G
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 17:31
Don`t buy a cheap single mass `cos had one on my wifes golf and no gear would engage so had to put a dmf one again as had no time to wait and I was visiting my cuz in Nottingham.Also there different opinions about single mc`s effect on g/box.Choose wisely.

graemewelch
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 17:32
thought the clutch plate on a dmf had no springs. am sure you need a different clutch

p fandango
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 17:33
buy a single mass flywheel to suit your application from Kalmar union.
TTV will sell you one direct

MattM
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 19:06
What are the benefits of swapping the DMF for a SMF from Kalmar/TTV, apart from improved longevity?
What are the draw backs?

T5frankie
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 19:18
What are the benefits of swapping the DMF for a SMF from Kalmar, apart from improved longevity?
What are the draw backs?

less refinement and smooth gear changing

MattM
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 19:23
Hrm, I see, and the only benefit is that it will last longer than a DMF? How much longer I guess is the question.

p fandango
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 19:34
& alot cheaper

Kingsford G
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 19:48
Hrm, I see, and the only benefit is that it will last longer than a DMF? How much longer I guess is the question.

Much loger 'cos it is nomally the flyweel goes on dmf kits not the clutch and next relacemet is cheaper adwell

LeeT5
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 20:54
Guys, this is all relative. Depends how the car is driven as to whether the DMF fails before the actual clutch. The main purpose of a DMF is to eliminate clutch judder. A clutch can be worn and starting to judder but in a system with a DMF it smooths out the take up of drive and increases the longevity of the clutch wearing surfaces.

IMO if the car is fitted with a DMF then i would always fit the same. Fitting anything else could cause other problems with the drive train.

T5frankie
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 20:55
Guys, this is all relative. Depends how the car is driven as to whether the DMF fails before the actual clutch. The main purpose of a DMF is to eliminate clutch judder. A clutch can be worn and starting to judder but in a system with a DMF it smooths out the take up of drive and increases the longevity of the clutch wearing surfaces.

IMO if the car is fitted with a DMF then i would always fit the same. Fitting anything else could cause other problems with the drive train.

yeah but a manual 850r and a v70r use the same engine and box but use different clutch and flywheels

LeeT5
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 21:04
Thats called 'Advancement in technology'...or....'Moving on'....

The V70R moved on from the 850R technology for a reason!!

Your not meant to go backwards.

T5frankie
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 21:24
Thats called 'Advancement in technology'...or....'Moving on'....

The V70R moved on from the 850R technology for a reason!!

Your not meant to go backwards.

new dual mass £750 quid only available from volvo though

graemewelch
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 22:35
i agree with t5lee. the long term affect of the solid flywheel will put more strain on the shafts clutch and gearbox. chances are a dmf will out live two cluches anyway. the ca in question is low milage anyway. dont forget the 2.4 t5 from the later model has more toqure than the older models.

there are many suppliers of dmf for the s60. luk do a dmf for around £300 same quality as oe. who do you think makes dealer parts. for £750 id expect to have a everything thats hidden in the bell housing replaced for that.

MattM
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 22:49
Think I will stick with the oe clutch and DMF. Going to get the slave cylinder changed soon and the clutch, hopefully the DMF is fine at 54k miles. A new LUK clutch with slave cylinder is £273 and a new LUK DMF is £367 so pretty much the same price as a SMF. Thanks for the help guys.

One other question, when getting the clutch/slave changed, another of bits in to get changed? I've been told Rear Main Oil Seal is a good idea to change with the box off.

graemewelch
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 22:52
nothing i can think of. some on else might be able to advise better but i cant think of anthing that would need replacing

Wobbly Dave
Friday 23rd December 2011, 00:28
I recently upgraded my clutch - replaced the DMF with another one - because the DMF is much kinder to your drivetrain & crank shaft. Torsional shock loading of the crank via an SMF can in certain situations snap it.
I put in a SACHS motorsport clutch which is a lot heavier on the foot but you know it will never slip & takes a lot more oomph. Downside is that it is hard work in slow traffic & it is a bit digital.
Depending on your objectives for the car I think it is an excellent setup for fast road use.

Do you understand the mechanical difference between a DMF vs a SMF?

Kingsford G
Friday 23rd December 2011, 01:20
I have never seen a DMF outliving 2 clutches,it may outlive one but in alot of cases not even that.Basically yr running gear get less stress using a DMF where is SMF will outlive 2 clutches no probs.I mean if the g/boxes the same as older models running on SMF how many cases of damaged g/boxes and the rest of it and what power was it running is a quastion.If as mentiond above they run the same g/boxes as older models I can`t see any problem fitting a SMF in wich case u could put an uprated clutch in to last longer but again it is down to the power and how it`s been used.

p fandango
Friday 23rd December 2011, 04:53
IMO if the car is fitted with a DMF then i would always fit the same
is everything on your car exactly as Volvo intended & how it left the factory then?

as for the DMF being an "advancement", being smooth isn't exactly the most of earth shattering of progress is it lol

LeeT5
Saturday 24th December 2011, 18:18
new dual mass £750 quid only available from volvo though

'C'est la vie'...Joys of owning an R.

LeeT5
Saturday 24th December 2011, 18:25
is everything on your car exactly as Volvo intended & how it left the factory then?

as for the DMF being an "advancement", being smooth isn't exactly the most of earth shattering of progress is it lol

Of course not! Your missing the point, my learned friend!

Why on earth would i want a SMF when its been built and designed around a DMF, which when its working fine (as mine is) they work very well.

T5frankie
Saturday 24th December 2011, 18:26
my dual mass gave up at the first sign of clutch slippage, my clutch was very healthy until i tried to pull my old mans range rover in his back garden i could smell the clutch and the dual mass was gone just like that, i wont be buying another

p fandango
Saturday 24th December 2011, 18:38
Why on earth would i want a SMF when its been built and designed around a DMF, which when its working fine (as mine is) they work very well.
i'd be interested to see if anything else was changed within the engine or gearbox when they swopped to the DMF, i very much doubt it. Yours is working fine so yes stick with it, the OP's is due for a change so perfect chance to bin it, save some money & get a more robust system in

Alan M
Sunday 25th December 2011, 13:23
Its not really a step back in technology. more and more cars being produced now must be going back in technology as more small displacement engines are leaning towards using single mass setups. Volvo never really changed design of parts that much in the years between the changes in flywheels and not much after and that is why older model parts can be used in newer setups. Just because it was tried and tested and moved away from doesn't mean that the newer setup is a better advancement in technology. Granted dual mass setups are smooth but a well fitted and setup single mass setup works flawlessly with no judder or any moticable difference in use. Until you actually have the two on the same car you wont be able to tell or comment on differences between the two. I have had different setups on differnt manufacturer cars and both times the dual mass item was worn after a good while of ownership. I personally found the single mass setup on both occasions to be smooth and the clutch lighter.

smithy
Sunday 25th December 2011, 15:53
Its not really a step back in technology. more and more cars being produced now must be going back in technology as more small displacement engines are leaning towards using single mass setups. Volvo never really changed design of parts that much in the years between the changes in flywheels and not much after and that is why older model parts can be used in newer setups. Just because it was tried and tested and moved away from doesn't mean that the newer setup is a better advancement in technology. Granted dual mass setups are smooth but a well fitted and setup single mass setup works flawlessly with no judder or any moticable difference in use. Until you actually have the two on the same car you wont be able to tell or comment on differences between the two. I have had different setups on differnt manufacturer cars and both times the dual mass item was worn after a good while of ownership. I personally found the single mass setup on both occasions to be smooth and the clutch lighter.

smf all the time for me ,the 940 came with a dmf but threw that out as soon as i could.the ttv racing smf and 850r clutch is a good combo for my 940 and would also be good for the p2 v70/s60 too.imho