PDA

View Full Version : 1998 V70 T5 Lambda light on after MOT

Brighty123
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 13:35
Hi guys

Bought a 1998 V70 T5 a few month ago for just £900 as a 2nd car for weekend fun and lugging the wife, baby, dog around here and there and has been problem free so far, very pleased with it considering it's done nearly 160k. Put it in for an MOT last weekend, the results of which would help me to decide to keep it or not. All went well, passed after a couple of new indicator bulbs which the orange had flaked off and a couple of advisories which i will get sorted, tracking rod end ball joint play and a weeping power steering hose. Problem is that after the MOT the lambda warning light is on. Any idea what may have caused it? How can i check or clear the code? Temporary blip in reading during the emmisions test or something more major. MOT fella did say there was a bit of a rattle from the cat. Can i clear the light by disconnecting the battery?

Cheers

Brighty

The Flying Moose
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 13:41
Im affraid the light wont clear by disconnecting the battery.

Despite having a lambda picture on the bulb for the 70 series cars this light will illuminate for any engine related faults.

There is a strong chance that if it was noticed there was an issue with the CATS infracstructure that it may have broken down. By doing so it would have increased airflow suddenly and triggered the light as the sensor is reading an abnormally high rate.

The best thing to do would be get it hooked upto a code reader to isolate the fault directly.

Where abouts in the UK are you? Many members have readers and may be close enough to come and visit.

p fandango
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 13:55
being a V70 i believe any generic code reader will work, won't give as accurate a code as using genuine Volvo equipment but will let you know whats up

Brighty123
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 14:11
Cheers guys
Don't have access to a code reader myself.
I'm in Darlington in the NE, so if anyone can recommend someone nearby that would plug it in for a good price please let me know. Alternatively i work in Garforth near Leeds, but don't do the 60 mile each way commute with the T5 as i'm not an oil sheik, use my 07 plate diesel Leon for that, but i could take it one day to be looked at i suppose, although i don't have commuting insurance on it.

Cheers

Brighty

The Flying Moose
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 14:24
There is a VPCUK "pool" code reader.

Try posting in the below thread and the member who currently has it should send it on to you.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24715&page=5

Brighty123
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 14:52
Cheers Mr Moose, posted in the thread, couldn't work out who has it now but posted a request, not sure if they'll let me have it though as i'm new, but worth a try and it is a fantastic idea.

Cheers

Brighty

tim15888
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 20:59
I'll plug it in if you want to come to sunny Oldham. However mine re-sets when I d/c the battery and leave the interiour light on. Done it a couple of times when I've left my code reader at work and not had the keys to get in for it... I would be surprized if the light thats come on during an MOT though. You havn't recently put a cone air filter on by any chance have you? Or are missing the cold air feed to the air box? They do tend to leave the car running stationary for a long time when testing, and no sealed cold air feed, the heat soak tends to kill MAF sensors, which can bring lamba faults up. I went through loads of MAFs when I had my 57i cone on, until I started turning the engine off when stuck in traffic... but that got boring so I put a panel filter in.

dalhousie2008
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 21:45
Unbelievable hot back from mot today lambda light on lol, only failed on one ball joint, so only that To be checked, but will have to sort it out, any ideas it's an 850 t5 so not me7