PDA

View Full Version : RTI / satnav screen is blank and does not move

Al115
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 11:16
So, the only issue with my V70R is with the popup Nav screen (RTI, TV, etc). It used to move, once - now it just stays up all the time, and blank.

DVD player in the boot spools up as expected. If I press the steering wheel controls, a disembodied voice tells me "No destination is set", so I guess that's a start!
Fuse 12 by the passenger door is fine. Had the screen out - there is 2x power and 2x earth as there should be.
With 12v on the motor - screen pops up and down nicely. So it looks like it's just missing the incentive to do so.

I don't know where the command "Pop up screen and turn it on" comes from! Any clues?

LeeT5
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 20:43
So, the only issue with my V70R is with the popup Nav screen (RTI, TV, etc). It used to move, once - now it just stays up all the time, and blank.

DVD player in the boot spools up as expected. If I press the steering wheel controls, a disembodied voice tells me "No destination is set", so I guess that's a start!
Fuse 12 by the passenger door is fine. Had the screen out - there is 2x power and 2x earth as there should be.
With 12v on the motor - screen pops up and down nicely. So it looks like it's just missing the incentive to do so.

I don't know where the command "Pop up screen and turn it on" comes from! Any clues?

Al, it comes from the HU mate. the fault you are experiancing is most likely to be a headunit fault. The RTI unit is ok as you can hear it talking to you. Me thinks that unless you can get it to reset then your gonna have to go to the Dealer.

Mine occasionally glitches where it goes blank for a second but it always comes back on and continues to navigate where it left off. The fact that you can power up the screen and means the screen is more than likely ok.
First place i would look is the connections on the rear of the HU. Try a FULL battery reset on the car. Disconnect earth from battery and leave for ten minutes. Then, reconnect - making sure Ignition is in pos. II before reconnecting earth. See what happens mate. If it makes no difference then get her in to the stealer. Could also be a RTi software glitch/update.

Al115
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 23:08
Thanks mate.

I tried the full reboot (battery off, leave for a while, Pos II and reconnect) - the headunit made plenty of CD-ejecting noises when starting up, but the TV screen remains resolutely dead!

I shall check the cables at the back of the HU tomorrow and apart from that I'm out of ideas!

I HATE going to the Main Dealer. Might just leave it until I'm feeling ready to be annoyed!!!

graemewelch
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 23:16
i have the same sat nav in mine and to be honest you not missing much. my last car had touch screen and accepted postcodes. ive lost count of the times ive had to use my old nav cause i didnt have a post code

Al115
Friday 23rd December 2011, 09:42
I know it's sh*t... I just want it to work :D

I will now look into replacing with an alternative unit - something that looks OEM but actually has decent functionality.

graemewelch
Friday 23rd December 2011, 10:30
I know it's sh*t... I just want it to work :D

I will now look into replacing with an alternative unit - something that looks OEM but actually has decent functionality.

id do exactly the same, cant settle when something isnt right

LeeT5
Saturday 24th December 2011, 18:15
i have the same sat nav in mine and to be honest you not missing much. my last car had touch screen and accepted postcodes. ive lost count of the times ive had to use my old nav cause i didnt have a post code

Thats not the point. It can be used for a reversing camera screen too, which mine will be in the new year. When i can be arsed to fit it.