PDA

View Full Version : Knock noise.

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 21st December 2011, 09:24
Thought I had fixed the noises when I replaced upper and lowe stabiliser bushes and fitted the XC90 driveshaft bolts.

Yesterday, checked the strut brace mounting bolts and the upper stabiliser bolts were tight. Also fitted new driveshaft bolts (again) because I had some spare lying around, with a touch of threadlock and torqued to 50nm (thanks LeeT5).

Will check the lower stabiliser bolts are tight when I get chance, but does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Seems to happen when I change gear or just generally on/off throttle.

Thanks

M-R-P
Wednesday 21st December 2011, 09:27
Possibly lower torque mount. They always look ok but when you lever it with a screwdriver, the truth comes out!
Cv may be worth a look too.

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 21st December 2011, 10:03
Possibly lower torque mount. They always look ok but when you lever it with a screwdriver, the truth comes out!
Cv may be worth a look too.

Both upper and lower have recently been poly bushed mate.

...unless you meant the bolts have worked loose?

What can I do regards CV's? Replace drive shaft? Have them repaired/serviced?

Cheers

M-R-P
Wednesday 21st December 2011, 15:39
Both upper and lower have recently been poly bushed mate.

...unless you meant the bolts have worked loose?

What can I do regards CV's? Replace drive shaft? Have them repaired/serviced?

Cheers

Take the wheel off, grab the driveshaft and give it a good wiggle if there's any play (and youre sure the hub bolt it tight - mine work lose every bloody 2 weeks now) then it's probably the cv. they're about 45 quid from gsf.

It's worth re-checking everything you've recently disturbed for your own peace of mind - including the hub bolts ;)

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 21st December 2011, 23:02
Take the wheel off, grab the driveshaft and give it a good wiggle if there's any play (and youre sure the hub bolt it tight - mine work lose every bloody 2 weeks now) then it's probably the cv. they're about 45 quid from gsf.

It's worth re-checking everything you've recently disturbed for your own peace of mind - including the hub bolts ;)

I fitted new drive shaft bolts with a touch of thread lock and I torqued them correctly too. Will check CV tomorrow.

Also, I think GSF doesn't list 2.5 AWD for the CV joints they sell :(

LeeT5
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 21:07
Poly bushings will always reveal other faults cos they are so stiff.

Leeds_finest
Friday 23rd December 2011, 00:31
Poly bushings will always reveal other faults cos they are so stiff.

Hmmmm.. true.

Shouldn't really be any though, recent replacement part list is extensive. Although I haven't touched CV joints, could be this. Any other suggestions?